*** Official "8 MILE" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Has anyone in the HTFer community seen 8 Mile yet?
    It seems like it might be a enjoyable movie but if it is horrible I'll pass.

2. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

I've heard nothing but praise coming from this movie, but I suspect many people will pass on this one just because Eminem's in it.

I, personally, am looking forward to it.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I don't like Eminem, but I am a huge fan of Brittany Murphy, so I'll see the film for her.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I could care less about the actors. I have supreme faith in Curtis Hanson!

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

This has Purple Rain written all over it.
    Which is a good thing if you don't understand what I mean. [​IMG]
    Prince and a story pretty close to his life, featuring his music = solid success (even if much of the supporting cast was weak outside of Morris and Jerome). This film has a better supporting cast and a much better director. I'm not worried, though I'm not handing out an Oscar to a guy playing himself basically (but people will still say it of course).
    Let's see, Purple Rain was #1 film, album and had the #1 single all in the same week when it came out. How close will 8 Mile soundtrack and Lose Yourself come to that?
    Of course, had he release The Eminem Show just a few weeks ago with Without Me as the single 2 weeks before that, then he easily would have had #1s across the board. [​IMG]

7. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'm seeing it Monday night, so a report will follow. [​IMG]

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Thanks, I'm not a eminem fan but this does look like a good flick.

9. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I'm a huge Eminem fan, and I'm really looking forward to this film (as well as Mark's comments).

10. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I'm looking forward to this one. I like Eminem though I wouldn't call myself a big fan by any stretch.

11. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I'm not an Eminem fan at all but the trailer really sucked me in a couple of months ago. Given that it's Curtis Hanson, I'll be checking it out next week.

Rob

12. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that this movie is going to be huge. I think that it intrigues people on so many different levels that everyone will want to see the movie. The three main crowds will be:
    1. Fans of Eminem. Those who buy every album, pin up every poster, see every appearance, know every lyric. Basically, all the Stans of the world
    2. The Train-wreck-watchers: In other words, those people who are so mystified with the possiblity of a gargantuan flameout that they will pay the $8+ just for the possiblity of a total wreck. Basically, Naysayers
    3. The Curtis Hanson Fans: The people who really admire his work, like myself, who really want to see if and how Curtis Hanson can pilot this ship in the right direction. Considering how he masterfully steered a sprawling noir (LA Confid) and a quirky, gleefully-meandering gem (Wonder Boys) I thinkt that 8 Mile will be a very good, if not great, movie.

Oh, and BTW, I happened to think that Purple Rain was pretty good, even though for the most part I kept getting Prince's ass confused with Vanity's ass

13. Mark Pfeiffer

Hmm, so is anyone interested how this movie is, in my opinion, of course? [​IMG]
    Not that it particularly matters, but I am familiar with some of Eminem's music. I think he has talent even if some of the content in his songs is questionable. I don't think he's the scourge of Western civilization, FWIW.
    My feelings regarding 8 Mile are mixed. I kept waiting for the film to explode, to go to a higher level. While it sort of does that near the end, I couldn't help but feel a little frustrated. We keep hearing how great Rabbit's (Eminem's) skills are, but we have to wait almost until the conclusion to hear for ourselves. Instead we spend the majority of the time seeing how rough his life is.
    The film humanizes Eminem more than anything else in the popular press, and I assume that this is fairly representative of his background. As a portrait of where art comes from and how it develops, the film is successful. For all his vociferous critics, 8 Mile should eloquently provide some explanations for where Eminem has been coming from. Art sometimes springs from ugly spots or tough situations, so naturally it isn't going to be all sunshine and roses.
    Eminem holds his own as the film's lead. It's a solid performance but certainly not anything that has any business being talked about as "Best Actor" worthy. The wise ass part of his persona occasionally peeks through, but for the most part, this is a guy battered from all sides trying to make sense of his life. Showing him humbled probably goes a long way in making him more appealing to potential skeptics. When his humor comes out, it's quite winning.
    I'm on the borderline regarding a recommendation for 8 Mile. I'll have to process it a little more, although I'm probably leaning toward a marginal recommendation. I really wish it had kicked into another gear rather than staying more or less on the same emotional level. It's put together well and quite watchable, but it also seems to be missing that certain something to take it to a higher level.

14. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Thanks for the review Mark!
    Armond White (a sometimes critic of hip hop, as well) just put his 8 Mile review out and he HATES it. http://www.nypress.com/15/45/film/film2.cfm
    I'm sorta looking forward to this one, but am honestly much more psyched for Femme Fatale this week.
    Mark

15. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

As far as Armond White goes, he doesn't know $#!t about hip hop or rap, and it is pretty evident in his review of 8 mile. I cannot comment on the movie, since I haven't seen it, but it seems that Mr. White is angry at the movie solely because he doesn't like Eminem, which is a damn shame. His review is one of the most subjective and retaliatory pieces of drivel that I have ever read, and he obviously can't get past Eminem's persona and really try to judge Eminem by his merits. It just makes me wonder how this guy ever got a job as any kind of reviewer, nonetheless a hip hop reviewer.

16. Mark Pfeiffer

It's interesting that I saw Frida this morning, which is far, far better than 8 Mile. Similar storyline in that both are about artists and their art, but Julie Taymor's film is much more accomplished, artistic, and fun.

I read Armond White's review. I don't necessarily think he's off the mark, although in many places it seems like his issues with Eminem cloud his review. A couple thoughts based on quotes from his review:

17. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Am I the only one who's noticed that 8 Mile's poster is virtually identical to the teaser poster for Fellowship of the Ring?

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "8 Mile". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "8 Mile" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

19. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

It's a shame it seems not too many here are enthused about watching this. Especially with all the positive buzz coming from everywhere. I can't wait to see this tomorrow in a hopefully crowded theater.

20. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer