What's new

***Official 18th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2017*** (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Orange Text - Theater Viewing
Blue text - Blu Ray Viewing
Black Text - DVD Viewing
Green Text - DVD-R Viewing
Purple Text- Streaming

BOLD - First Time Viewing

My List:
1. Dark Night of the Scarecrow - Rating: 4/5
2. Havenhurst - Rating: 2.5/5
3. Extraordinary Tales - Rating: 2/5
4. The Boy - Rating: 3.5/5
5. Dog Soldiers - Rating: 4/5
6. Get Out - Rating 3.5/5
7. It - 4/5
8. Fright Night (1985) - Rating: 4/5
9. Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - Rating: 2.5/5
10. It - Rating: 4/5
11. Idle Hands - Rating: 3/5
12. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Rating: 3/5
13. The Exorcist III - Rating: 3.5/5
14. Offspring - Rating: 3.5/5
15. Dracula - Rating 4/5
16. Dracula's Daughter - Rating: 3.5/5
17. 13 Ghosts - Rating: 3.5/5
18. Vampire Circus - Rating: 3.5/5
17. Descendents - Rating: 2/5
18. The Fog - Rating: 4.5/5
19. The Visit - Rating: 3/5
20. Cat People - Rating: 4/5
21. The Watcher in the Woods - Rating: 3.5/5
22. The Worst Witch - Rating: 2.5/5
23. Visions - Rating: 3.5/5
24. Silver Bullet - Rating: 4.5/5
25. Warlock: The Armageddon - Rating:4/5
26. Vampires - Rating: 4.5/5
27. Mirrors 2 - Rating: 3.5/5
28. Monster Squad - Rating: 4/5
29. Near Dark - Rating: 4.5/5
30. The Invisible Man - Rating: 3.5/5

My Review:
I718FB038BA7DDDB5f.jpg
The Invisible Man: The Legacy Collection (1933/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Universal Home Video (United States)
Director: James Whale
Writing: H. G. Wells (Original Material By), R. C. Sherriff (Screenwriter), Preston Sturges (Screenwriter), Philip Wylie (Screenwriter)
Length: 71 min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Stars:
Claude Rains as The Invisible Man
Gloria Stuart as Flora Cranley
William Harrigan as Dr. Kemp
Henry Travers as Dr. Cranley
Una O'Connor as Jenny Hall (innkeeper's wife)

Plot:
Renowned acting legend Claude Rains made a remarkable screen debut in ‘The Invisible Man’, based on H.G. Wells’ acclaimed novel. Rains, a mysterious doctor, creates a serum that makes him invisible. But the miraculous potion also has the power to drive him mad, as he discovers when he is forced to commit horrific acts of terror. Directed by the master of the macabre, James Whale, ‘The Invisible Man’ set the standard for dazzling special effects with ingenious techniques that are still imitated today.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

This is a fun classic horror. Claude Rains does a wonderful job in the title roll. Considering just how old this film is... the effects were great. I did not care much for the innkeeper's wife. I didn't like her attitude through-out the film and her hysterics was just too much to take. Other then that definitely worth watching.

Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Black Text - DVD Viewing
Purple Text- Streaming

My List:
7. It - 4/5
15. Dracula - Rating 4/5
31. Vinyan -Rating: 1/5

My Review:
043396297463f.jpg
Vinyan (2008/France)
DVDLogo.png
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: Fabrice du Welz
Writing: Fabrice du Welz (Writer)
Length: 96 min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French
Stars:
Emmanuelle Béart as Jeanne Bellmer
Rufus Sewell as Paul Bellmer
Petch Osathanugrah as Thaksin Gao
Julie Dreyfus as Kim
Ampton Pankratok as Sonchaï

Plot:
A couple leaves the civilized world behind and descends into a living nightmare in this chilling horror thriller. Six months after losing her only child in the Southeast Asia tsunami, Jeanne (Emmanuelle Béart, Mission: Impossible) is convinced she sees him in a film about orphans living in the jungles of Burma. While her husband (Rufus Sewell, "Eleventh Hour") is worried that she's losing her mind, he still agrees to take her to search for their son together. Introduced to a dangerous gang of human traffickers, they find themselves alone and stranded in the middle of a treacherous jungle, set upon by a band of feral children. Has their search for their son led them to a fate more horrific than death?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one I just couldn't get into. It is a very slow movie that lost my attention in the beginning and was never able to pull me back in.

Rating:
stars_30_1.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm now into the Universal sci-fi horror movies where you started to see more and more bad movies but I still some decent stuff today.

BOLD = new to me

84. The Incredible Shrinking Man

A man begins to shrink because of exposure to a couple of different chemicals and innocuous things become deadly. Thanks to a good script by Richard Matheson, a likable cast and nice sets and props this is an excellent movie. Outside of Creature From The Black Lagoon, this is probably the best Universal sci-fi movie of the era.

85. The Deadly Mantis

A giant praying mantis is freed from a melted ice cap after millions of years and it goes on a rampage. The movie is basically Tarantula but with a praying mantis instead of a spider. Not a good movie but it’s silly enough to be entertaining.

86. The Land Unknown

A group of scientists find an ancient land filled with dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in the Arctic. The only Universal monster/sci-fi movie to be shot in 2.35 looks great and while the movie isn’t without its charm, it’s nothing special either.

87. The Monolith Monsters

A meteor shatters when it crashes on Earth and when the rocks are exposed to water, they grow tremendously destroying houses and endangering an entire desert town. The premise seems really ridiculous but I think this movie is good.

88. The Thing That Couldn’t Die

A still living decapitated head mentally takes over people’s bodies. You can tell that even the sci-fi trend is on its last legs now. This movie is lousy.

89. Monster On The Campus

A college professor accidentally comes in contact with the blood of a prehistoric animal and it makes him revert into a deranged and violent evolutionary throwback. Since it doesn’t really focus on college kids, the title is somewhat misleading (presumably to appeal to the teen-age market) but it’s still a solid sci-fi monster movie and the last hurrah of the Universal monster movies.

90. Curse Of The Undead

A cowboy is a vampire and the town preacher has to help save people. Lousy combo of a western and a horror movie.

October 16: Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) – 3.5 out of 5 - First Time Viewing

Despite Lon Chaney, Jr’s, Larry Talbot forever being a cursed figure unable to find peace, and despairing at his woes...
Yeah, Larry Talbot is kind of a bummer. Granted, he does a pretty legitimate complaint but still.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Eternal Evil (1985) *NEW* 1/10
Original Title: The Blue Man
Amazon Prime

A Director of TV commercials is taught to astro project. Soon learns he does it against his will and people die.
A movie that has a great premises but fails miserably at delivering.
Most of the movie moves at a slow pace and also is pieced together oddly.
All of which makes it frustrating to keep interested.
There is a "twist" ending (two actually) but doesn't do it in a satisfying manner.
If the movie was structured better, and revealed better, it would be a cool movie.
Also a shame that the movie uses no special effects for the astro projection. It relies on overhead flying shots.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

050) 10/16/2017 Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Holmes must solve murders at creepy estate turned into a veteran convalescent home. Rathbone has a new hairdo and orders a pint of bitter at the local pub. There's atmosphere to spare in this nicely mounted whodunit.

051) 10/16/2017 Flesh and Fantasy (1943)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Trio of stories built around the supernatural. "Ugly" woman gets a new face during Mardi Gras courtesy of a mysterious mask seller. In story two, Edward G. Robinson is told by psychic he will murder someone. The last story has Charles Boyer as a high-wire artist having nightmares about falling to his doom. The middle story is the best, with Eddy G. having conversations with himself about getting the murder out of the way.

052) 10/16/2017 Son of Dracula (1943)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Horror noir that redefines the femme fatale. Woman is obsessed with mysterious Count Alucard (Lon Chaney, Jr.) who's come to live at Dark Oaks in Louisiana. It seems she's about to jilt her fiance but all is not what it seems. Chaney isn't that good; he seems to be in a daze most of the film. But everything else about this original take on vampires is top notch, including those great bat transformations and the use of mist.

053) 10/16/2017 The Mad Ghoul (1943)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

George Zucco is once again up to no good, this time poisoning a medical student who he then uses to do his bidding. An early variation on the zombie theme, this has plenty of creepy moments, especially the death of Carl Denham himself, Robert Armstrong, who plays a journalist. Evelyn Ankers is the woman everybody loves.

1943 was certainly a solid and very productive year!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

15) The Funhouse
Watching the Funhouse is starting to be a tradition each Fall. When first I saw it, I didn't care for it that much, but now I love it. I think I have watched it a dozen times. A group of likeable teenagers go to a carnival where something lurks in the funhouse. It is better than it sounds, and it sounds great to begin with. I recommend it to anyone into good horror.
Grade-A

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
15) The Funhouse
Watching the Funhouse is starting to be a tradition each Fall. When first I saw it, I didn't care for it that much, but now I love it. I think I have watched it a dozen times. A group of likeable teenagers go to a carnival where something lurks in the funhouse. It is better than it sounds, and it sounds great to begin with. I recommend it to anyone into good horror.
Grade-A
My second favorite Tobe Hooper movie behind The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Here's my batch from yesterday. A more underwhelming bunch, no new discoveries. I enjoyed HOUSE more than I remembered it. I could probably count HOUSE II as a new viewing based on having zero memory of it. The Arrow blu of BRAIN DAMAGE is gorgeous. Had fun revisiting it.

041 10/16 Psychomania (1973) 2.5/5 British horror biker film, of all things. A gang leader figures out how to return from the dead and convinces his gang to follow him. It’s not a bad film per say, and I can see how it has a cult following. I just didn’t find it all that interesting despite the gimmick. I can also see how if could have been problematic upon release since the returning from the dead bit is so simple, anyone could do it. I'm not one to cry about filmmakers being irresponsible, but this one could make a case if someone was stupid enough to try.

042 10/16 House (1985) 3.5/5 Another one from back in the day that I seem to think was stupid but revisiting it I thoroughly enjoyed. A Vietnam vet horror writer returns to his late aunt's house and encounters things that go bump in the night. It’s played light, but also pretty straight so the tone works in it’s favour as opposed to against it.

043 10/16 House II: The Second Story (1987) 2.5/5 The sequel tells a brand new story about a guy who moves back into his ancestral house to discover his great grandfather stole an Aztec crystal skull that allows wishes. Played much more lightly than the first one, it simply doesn’t work. I found it tedious.

044 10/16 Wicked Wicked (1976) 2.5/5 The split screen Duo-Vision is unleashed onto the public, and it’s mostly just annoying. Sparingly, dePalma proved that it can be an effective technique. An entire film is split screen though ends up being annoying. Anyways, it’s a third rate thriller that isn’t heightened by the gimmick.

045 10/16 Brain Damage (1988) 4/5 Frank Henenlotter’s follow up to his cult classic Basket Case holds up fantastically. A young man become host to a psychedelic parasite that thrives on brains. It’s silly, but it works with some great, and considering the budget, ambitious effects.

My first film festival starts tonight! From today until Sunday. DedfestX! I think there's only one old film being screened that I had seen before, the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD restoration. Thumbs held I enjoy all the new stuff!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
#19. King Kong (1933) (first theater experience!)

A true classic. One of my top ten favorite films. And my first time seeing it on the big screen! It was like watching it for the first time! The print used was fantastic, with the exception of some of the fog scenes which were a bit grainy. The biggest surprise: how incredibly well the 80+ year old effects held up on a big screen after seeing it on a TV screen for DECADES. And that amazing Max Steiner score...perfection. If you EVER get the chance, see it in a theater! 10/10 stars

King-Kong-Poster.jpg

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
#20. Them! (first theater experience!)

Probably the best of the 50's "big bug" movies. I was surprised how great this one was. Some great practical effects and a better than expected story. Great pacing. And it looked so good in widescreen! Definitely recommended! 8/10 stars

4494493_orig.jpg

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 17: House of Frankenstein (1944) – 4 out of 5 - First Time Viewing

A mad, evil scientist (Dr. Gustav Neimann, played by the preposterously magnificent Boris Karloff) escapes prison along with his hunchbacked assistant, Daniel (J. Carroll Naish) and make haste to revenge themselves upon “those for whom I have unloving memories”. Fascinated by the work of Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Neimann leaves a deadly trail in his wake, murdering a travelling horror show figure and take charge of Dracula’s bones (and soon revive him). Arriving to search for Frankenstein’s secrets, they stumble upon both Frankenstein’s monster and the Wolf Man, frozen in ice (having been flooded by the exploded dam years earlier). Things quickly get out of hand, a few deaths are involved, and no-one really wins (except up getting Dracula, Wolf Man, Frankenstein’s monster, and a wonderfully portrayed Hunchback in the same picture with a mad man played by Karloff!).

I realize the story has worn thin here, but this film is very entertaining, largely from the impressive performances from Boris Karloff, and J. Carrol Naish’s hunchback, Daniel. A potent combination of sinister and tragic. Lon Chaney, Jr. once again revives the perennially depressed Larry Talbot/Wolf Man, Glenn Strange puts on the Frankenstein Monster make-up and outfit (and does reasonably well), and even John Carradine’s Dracula is quite good. The film feels like it’s looking for convenient ways to get all the marquee monsters and characters in the same picture, but that’s okay because it’s actually creepy and fun in equal doses (and of course Lionel Atwill pops up again, here as Inspector Arnz).

Frankenstein’s monster takes a back seat again in the more crowded field, but the film is worth it to watch Boris Karloff work his magic. And while the ending is a bit of a fizzle (compared to the more spectacular dam blowing up at the end of Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man) it doesn’t put a damper on the experience.
House-of-Frankenstein-poster.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Neverknock :thumbsup:

A boy trick-or-treating knocks on a door and sets events in motion that result in the deaths of three young people, with the dire warning to "Never Never Knock". The murderer is never caught and the house at 59 Oakwood Lane becomes a local urban legend, with kids knocking on the door at Halloween year after year. There are no additional incidents for so many years, that the anniversary of the murders becomes an occasion for the local radio station to run a contest, daring listeners to knock on the door and send a picture of themselves in the act. But 30 years later, one unlucky group knocks and are running for their lives when something answers.

I give this one a marginal thumbs up, largely for the unsettling and creepy design of the main creature. I'm not sure any of the plot or ideas are very original, but it had some interesting moments.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Leech Woman wraps up my Universal monster marathon but I figured that I'd make it an even 100 with a few more Universal movies from the 1960's, 70's and 80's. Yes, I know Psycho was released by Universal but they own it now and I wanted to watch it. :)

91. The Leech Woman

A woman gains her youth back by ‘draining’ it from other people. The last of the Universal sci-fi monster era isn’t a great movie but I like the idea of a youth vampire (also a Twilight Zone episode) so it’s entertaining enough.

92. Psycho (1960)

A woman steals $40,000 from her boss and goes to a motel run by a weird guy. A true classic. While watching, I was struck by the idea of how amazing it must have been to see this movie when it was new and not knowing the twists and turns.

93. I Saw What You Did

A couple of teenage girls crank call random numbers. Unfortunately for them, they call one man who has just murdered his wife and they say “I saw what you did and I know who you are.” I’m a sucker for phone related horror movies but this is a fun movie from a more innocent time and is probably relatable to anyone who lived at a time when you could actually make crank phone calls.

94. Jaws

A shark starts eating people and three men have to stop it. There’s not much I can add to what has already been said about Jaws, it’s one of the best movies from one of the best directors ever. An all time classic.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

054) 10/17/2017 Calling Dr. Death (1943)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

First of the Inner Sanctum series is pretty good. Lon Chaney plays therapist whose adulteress wife is murdered, so of course he's a suspect. It's rather absurd that the man eventually arrested for the crime, as well as his invalid wife, would ask Chaney to clear him when Chaney's not even a detective! But these Inner Sanctums are a lot of fun, even if for the wrong reasons.

055) 10/17/2017 The Spider Woman (1944)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Sherlock Holmes faces one of his most formidable foes in this strong series entry. Holmes fakes his death so he can find the secret behind several "pajama suicides" that are actually murders.

056) 10/17/2017 Weird Woman (1944)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Inner Sanctum entry #2: Evelyn Ankers plays her first bad gal in a Universal horror film, as she tries to ruin the marriage of the man she loves (Lon Chaney). But just who is the Weird Woman of the title: the wife who believes in witchcraft? Ankers' conniving other woman? The widow of a disgraced professor who accuses Chaney and his spouse of murder? All three are a little weird.

057) 10/17/2017 The Scarlet Claw (1944)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

This is apparently the most beloved of the Universal Sherlock Holmes series and I completely agree. This was a favorite of my youth from the first time I saw it. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson travel to Canada's La Morte Rouge to solve the vicious murder of Lady Penrose, who's killer is believed to be some kind of phantom. The "monster" effect is very good and the atmosphere flawless. The cast is great too. Only weakness is the contrived script, that has all the killer's targets conveniently settle in the same place. I swear Martin Scorsese borrowed the "housekeeper sequence" for a similar murder scene in his Cape Fear remake.

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'm lousy at summarizing a movie in a line or two so when it's a movie that everyone knows, I like to say something fairly silly.

When I write a review, my least favorite part is describing the plot of the movie - so you've inspired me to try and boil it waaaaaay down if I can :)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Black Text - DVD Viewing
Purple Text- Streaming

My List:
7. It - 4/5
15. Dracula - Rating 4/5
31. Vinyan -Rating: 1/5
32. Body bags - Rating: 3.5/5

My Review:
826663144390f.jpg
Body Bags: Collector's Edition (1993/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
BluRayLogo.png
DVDLogo.png
Scream Factory, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director: John Carpenter (1948), Tobe Hooper
Writing: Billy Brown (Writer), Dan Angel (Writer)
Length: 94 min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English
Stars:
"THE MORGUE"John Carpenter (1948) as Coroner
Tom Arnold as Man #1
Tobe Hooper as Man #2
"THE GAS STATION"

Plot:
Two Masters of Horror – John Carpenter (Halloween, The Thing) and Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Lifeforce) – come together to create a chilling anthology of terror.

Alex Datcher (Passenger 57) stars as a woman working the late shift at "The Gas Station" while a killer is on the loose. Then, Stacy Keach (Road Games) can't stand the thought of losing his "Hair" and he'll do anything to keep it. And finally, Mark Hamill (Star Wars) portrays a baseball player that submits to an "Eye" transplant after he loses an eye in a car accident.

Featuring guest appearances by Deborah Harry, Sheena Easton, Twiggy, David Naughton (An American Werewolf In London), John Agar (Tarantula), David Warner (Time After Time) and cameos by Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper and Roger Corman, Body Bags delivers a fright-filled night of horror.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is a TV movie that originally aired on Showtime. Going into this one all I really really remembered is I enjoyed it quite a bit. While I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I remembered... I still enjoyed it quite a bit and glad I finally have it in my collection. The first of the stories is by far my favorite. The other two... while not as good... are still rather enjoyable.This film is worth the hour and a half you need to put in to watch it. But it is not the best anthology horror I have seen.

Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
When I write a review, my least favorite part is describing the plot of the movie - so you've inspired me to try and boil it waaaaaay down if I can :)

I hate writing them too. as a result my reviews make no sense haha

Only got in three yesterday. First night of the film fest was a bust. Windstorms knocked the power out and the only block with no power restored was the theatres! CONSPIRACY!

046 10/17 Evil Ed (1995) 2.5/5 A meek film editor gets assigned to cut horror and it has an effect on him. It’s gooey and an excuse to have fun with horror tropes, it just didn’t work for me.

047 10/17 Madhouse (1981) 2.5/5 A teacher for deaf kids gets stalked by her evil twin sister. Or is it in her head? Pretty typical slasher for the era that adds in a killer dog but none of it is particularly interesting.

048 10/17 Re-Animator (1985) 4/5 First time watching the integral cut. Herbert West thinks he’s Baron Von Frankenstein. I prefer the shorter cut as I find the added bits in this kill the pacing a bit. Still worth a watch or three. This one is a classic deserving of all it’s cult fandom. It’s also the right way to have comedy in a horror film. Play the horror straight and the comedy comes from the situation. Makes this one a delight and the Arrow Blu-ray set is suitably gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks