Office Space - Anamorphic???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deane Johnson, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I picked up Office Space yesterday at Best Buy. Now I'm thinking it isn't anamorphic even though Peter Staddon had said that all Fox theatrical releases would be 16X9 enhanced. It was based on his statement that I bought it. Is this maybe an old release from before his time?

It doesn't say on the box and from what I have been able to find out from the retailer sites, it isn't.

Does anybody know? I haven't opened it so if it isn't I can take it back.

Thanks for your input.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Deane - The one you have is not 16X9 enhanced, but there is a new one in the works which is. I do not know a release date, though.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

My information shows that it's Letterboxed, therefore non-anamorphic.

I would recommend waiting anyway due to the future release of an SE for this gem. BTW, a huge thank you to listening to their fans and revisiting this title.

4. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

This title was released before Peter made that statement.

It is not anamorphic.

There is an SE coming sometime in 2002.

That being said, for the low price point and a darn fine non-anamorphic title I would say it is not worth the gas to return it. I would enjoy one of the finest office comedy of ever made.

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Yeah, the existing disc is non-anamorphic. ("Mother shitter!") It was released "B.P." (Before Peter) [​IMG] in early 1999 I think. The "no more non-anamorphic" thing wasn't until mid-2000, IIRC.
    I'd take it back and wait for the new special edition disc, which should be coming out in the first half of 2002. It's sure to be anamorphcially enhanced and have a boatload of extras.
    -mwb-
    (also not a poosy)

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The current release of Office Space is indeed a bare-bones, non-anamorphic release from the "old" Fox. It predates the anamorphic commitment made by Peter last year.
    The good news is that Fox is working on a Special Edition of this title, with the participation of director Mike Judge. So you may indeed want to return the current release.

7. Deane Johnson

Thanks guys. I hope Best Buy takes returns of unopened DVDs. I've never tried before.

My front projection likes anamorphic much better than letterboxed.

They had a big stack up front like it was a new release. I won't be fooled again. Maybe we could get Fox to put big stickers on the old boxes with the letters BP on them.

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I thought Front Projectors via HTPC do a great job up-converting Non-Anamorphic DVDs and make them very watchable?

Anyway, I couldn't see not having my copy of this DVD. Saw it in the theaters, picked it up on its release date and throw it in every so often and laugh my ass off. Wasn't it like 9 dollars at BB?

9. Deane Johnson

It was $14.95. I don't use HTPC so I lose plenty of resolution without 16X9 enhancement. Though I do have to say that my new Toshiba 3750 DVD player, which replaced my Toshiba SD-5109 has provided a darn good picture even non-enhanced.

Deane

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

This is one of my favorite comedies. The current release looks just fine considering it's non-anamorphic. It's a bare bones release but a little effort was put into the animated menus, etc. For those of us with televisions that take advantage of anamorphic video, the new SE is worth waiting for.

"Yeah... now if you could just remember the cover sheets on your TPS reports, that would be grrreat, yeah..."

Joseph

11. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I bought Office Space about eight months ago, aware that an SE would eventually surface.... and I didn't hesitate for a second. And I've watched that disc so many times.... it's probably in my top 5 most watched discs.

If you love the film, get it now. It's cheap, and more than worth the upgrade down the road.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Just be thankful you didn't pay the original $34.95 price for this!! (For $14.99, it is a great movie.)

13. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

What's this I hear? A SE of Office Space is due out in 2002? This is huge! I have the non-anamorphic DVD, but will probably have to pick up the SE when it comes out. This flick is too funny...