What's new

Odd Couple Season 2 release date (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Joe, we better expect the worst from Paramount. I love the Odd Couple, but I was also looking forward to season 2 (and in my opinion the last good season) of Happy Days, and they completely ruined it! They used scratchy film elements with edit marks, they removed several scenes because they contained original songs which they refused to license, and they replaced MOST of the original music! It no longer resembles the show as I remembered it when I was growing up. I'm afraid they'll probably be doing the same with the Odd Couple, though not to as great an extent , since The Odd Couple didn't rely as heavily on the music as Happy Days did...Anyway, I'm prepared for the worst...And even though I have a really crappy bootleg of the entire run of the show, I don't plan to ever get rid of it, because at some point, I may become nostalgic for the show as I remembered it, and not the aberration we'll probably wind up with on the official release.

if200

Agent
Real Name
Diane
I tried buying the crappy bootlegs and they were edited and unwatchable.
The quality of the extra shows on disc 5 of season 1 were great so I choose to be optimistic.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Richard Fredericks does sing "If ever I would leave you", and Pernel Roberts sings "Some enchanted evening", Marilyn Horne sings "Happy Birthday" and one other song. Monty Hall sings a number of older songs, as does Felix's band, the Sophisticatos.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Anthony, are you referring to the songs being kept on the DVDs, or are you simply telling us who sang the songs on the show originally?

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
the dvd is ready for ship.
bad news.

NO special features this time around.

ah well

at least we get the eps.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind no special features, as we had a lot of them on Season 1. Let's just support this release and hope we get all 5 seasons, which should be the main priority.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
I view "special features" as a bonus as well. I really don't care if there are any on a set, as long as the episodes are: 1. all there (e.g. Hawaii Five O), and 2.unedited (e.g. WKRP, et al). It's nice to have commentaries by cast/crew, as long as they offer insight, but they too often don't.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
hard to tell what the edits are supposed to be. All the episodes run between 25 minutes and 21 seconds to 35 seconds.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
If I did not like this series as much as I do I would wait, because in the back of my mind is the thought will this be released as a whole series set with extras (as other materials were gathered when the obtained the extras for the first season). The only reason they are not on this (Although it is a guess)is that it is the cheap way out. But this is such a great series I will buy it and hope season three has extras.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
CBS /Paramount Series usually have Little to no Features, but the transfers are usually top notch. Star Trek Has been the main exception to the rule

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
it was interesting to learn from the season one bonus features how the Odd Couple wasn't a major hit during its 5 year run (although the Emmys loved them). I don't remember it being rerun to death like other early 70s shows. The fan base for Odd Couple isn't nearly as big as say The Untouchables or Perry Mason. So I'm not counting on Paramount going nuts with the bonus features. Think of all the Happy Days stuff that didn't get included in those two sets. That show was a hit.

With Paramount's major commitment to TV shows on DVD, I'm hoping they finish this series off quickly. I don't care about bonus features. The bonus features on the first season were done for the more expensive Time-Life release

There does seem to be good news that Season 3 transfers are ready with this blurb on Paramount's series info:

This series has been partially transferred into HD and has the following masters:
Network 4x3 HD (currently episodes 1 to 70)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Clearly, you don't live here in NYC, where every Yankee rain-delay was cause for CH11 to run an Odd Couple episode. Around here, it has been rerun as much as Happy Days, maybe more, certainly much more than The Untouchables or Perry Mason, even taking into account the 10 year head start those series had.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I've lived most of my life in the South. We only got WOR back in the late 70s before WGN took it's slot. I think during rain delays they showed Ralph Kiner eating hotdogs and talking about curveballs.

it is good to hear that the show did get a lot of airings in Manhattan since that's hopefully enough of a fan base to get all 5 sets out - if Paramount doesn't have unrealistic expectations on the numbers.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy

i think for the music changes they r just going to over dub a different song(!) or just mute it.

i dont know. hard to tell.
we will know in a week tho.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
did anyone ever complain to the network about the fact that under the window for Felix Ungar Photography it said, "F U Enterprises"?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

doesn't seem to be any songs missing or muted for "Odd Couple Meet Their Host" and "Rigoletto." Tony just keeps singing away without a clip.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I noticed during the one where they invest in the Japanese restaurant that Oscar refers to "choking a chicken"... :laugh:

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Yes. I'm in the process of reviewing it for insidepulse.com

strange that the Odd Couple would be the rain delay show for the Yankee games since Oscar wears a Mets hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks