What's new

Obi's - ST:TMP Review (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Kinda Wish the Overature was still Against Black, no matter More importantly I'm kinda dissapointed that Paramount did'nt get commentary from Shatner or Nimoy, Come on Stephen Collins? I really hope for the Kahn Spec Ed they can did up some of the bigger talent, I'd like to hear comments from thoseguys before the "dig up" becomes literal.
------------------
My DVD Collection
The Megaplex
My Equipment List

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I seem to remember in the VHS version there was some opening music played against a black background. Is that the same music being talked about here, something else, or am I just imagining this memory?
Also, I'm going to be lazy and not look for this elsewhere, but when is this DVD coming to a shelf near me?
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
swouttakes.jpg

Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Britton

Screenwriter
Yeah, the music being played against the black background was the overture. However, for the Director's Edition, the overture is over a moving starfield as Robert George indicated in his post. The street date for this DVD is November 6th.
I am really, really psyched for this DVD! Finally, Trek gets some respect! This is the most I've anticipated anything with the name Star Trek on it since First Contact hit theaters back in 1996. This was my favorite Trek movie as a kid, at least the parts leading up to contact with V'Ger. For some reason I would watch the movie over and over, and always stop it right after the first probe attacks the Enterprise. It wasn't as if I thought the rest of the movie was boring since I never saw it past that point until a few years later.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Mike,
I'm using PowerDVD, but my system config may have something to do with the quality of the screen caps. I know PowerDVD instructions say to turn off hardware acceleration in order to use the screep cap utility, and I did that initially. However, at some point, I was fiddling with the program and settinga and now the program works with hardware acceleration on full. Don't ask my how :).
I am using an ATI video card with a hardware decoder on it, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave-
It would have been great to have had Nimoy or Shatner's or the other main cast members involvement in the audio commentary, but I think it could be interesting to hear Collin's comments from his "non-Star Trek" point of view.
I think the disc is said to include new documentaries, while short, that include new interviews with some of the actors. Hopefully that will have their participation.
There has been much in the written pages of Shatner's and Nimoy's books about the experiences on the films. At least that is there, but not screen specific.
Nelson

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Obi - Thank you for the awesome review as well as a sneak peek at the dvd! I'm really excited about this DVD!!! Thanks again!

Robert George

Screenwriter
Nelson & all:
The only actors from the original cast that I recall seeing in the new documentary interviews are Shatner and Walter Koenig. If any of the others were there, it was so little that I have forgotten in 3 days :).
Nimoy was conspicuous by his absence.
[Edited last by Robert George on October 29, 2001 at 02:39 PM]

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
What's funny is that I want this DVD more than I wanted Phantom Menace.
That's not funny. I agree with you. :)
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Bertrand B

Grip
Obi do you have any information about the release dates of the DVD in Europe (and France if possible)? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks