What's new

NYPD BLUE SEASON 5 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
They may eventually show up on Itunes which recently added Season 3 of Hill Street Blues that Fox won't release. I bought them and am enjoying them on my Apple TV.

Daltoni

Auditioning
Real Name
Sami Perkele
Hey,

I would not lose hope on the Season 5 just yet. Few weeks ago I noticed that it had a release date, 13th of July 2007 on an European webstore cdon.com until yesterday but now it's gone. Meaning that it has either been postponed or canceled. It would also be weird to release it here in Europe but not in the US. The Season 5 can also be found from Amazon, but not from the European Amazon. So I guess that the release is still being considered.

Moros49

Auditioning
Real Name
Connor Moore
I love Deadwood and John From Cincinnati and want to get into NYPD Blue, but if they aren't going to finish the series I am more cautious about buying... They are well priced at Amazon...

Any word on the status? This is almost as bad as Pete and Pete S3.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I am a little annoyed that ER is about to have the eighth season released and NYPD Blue is still stuck in limbo after four. I know these shows have little to do with each other except that they came out at the same time, but they are both serialized dramas. I was a fan of both because of the character arcs. I want more Blue. I'm done whining now, carry on.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
There are, as you said, very little in common between them. ER is a show still on the air, so it does benefit a bit from the current shows boost, and they are from different studeos and comparing Warner to Fox is a little like comparing apples to oranges.

Renegaade

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
I'm jumping in kind of late here, but it doesn't surprise me that sales of the seasons via DVD were abandoned. The first four were horribly set up with the two sided discs and lack of meaningful features. I'm not sure how much they cost originally, but at 6-8 discs they weren't cheap and probably not worth it. I DVR the episodes on TNT Tuesday nights. Great quality, too. If you don't have a DVR/VCR or aren't up at 3 in the morning, it's not a legitimate avenue but I've been loving it. The ones I've missed I Netflix but that's not going to work coming up here as season 5 is about to start on TNT. Since that's what this subject is about, however, and if you have TNT - start syncing to record because it's the only way to see it again right now.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yes, sometimes making your own box sets is your only choice to have an entire season. However, a professionally released box set (even without extras) is still the best way to go. No having to edit out commercials or wait till a ep that you missed comes back around. And if you're taping shows from rerun syndie then you're getting edited versions.

Perhaps by the time that NYPD Blue came out on DVD the show was simply overexposed having ended a very long run and becoming quite prominent in reruns. Too much of a good thing ?

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Another important factor in favor of professional sets is of course picture and sound quality. I have DVD-R's of all the remaining seasons that I recorded off air, but the quality is nowhere near what a pro box would be. I still refuse to give up hope. Maybe I'm crazy.

Renegaade

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
TNT runs the reruns in High Def if you have an HDTV, and the quality is identical if not better than that of the DVDs.
The major drawbacks are commercials as previously stated and edited out swears which can lead to a short night of dialog for Andy some episodes :) The butt shots remain, however - haha.
Also, at three episodes at a time, you don't get to choose the option of binging on an entire season that would on DVD - and with all the nail biting cliffhangers three episodes often isn't enough for me at a time, I dunno how people watched it weekly!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I have some very bad news for everyone. Several days ago, I emailed 20th Century Fox on the status of future sets and was just informed this evening that Fox Home Video is not distributing NYPD Blue and that there is no information on who retains the rights to the series.

If anyone has any information on who does, feel free to post it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Renegaade said:
TNT runs the reruns in High Def if you have an HDTV, and the quality is identical if not better than that of the DVDs.
The major drawbacks are commercials as previously stated and edited out swears which can lead to a short night of dialog for Andy some episodes :) The butt shots remain, however - haha.
Also, at three episodes at a time, you don't get to choose the option of binging on an entire season that would on DVD - and with all the nail biting cliffhangers three episodes often isn't enough for me at a time, I dunno how people watched it weekly!
From the schedule, it seems to only be 2 episodes at a time, or am I missing something? In any case, looking forward to recording tonight's fifth season premiere!

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Mark Talmadge said:
Let's hope that somebody has acquired the series for release as Fox no longer has the rights for the series.
Really ? I though sony owned the rights now, Hmmm weird any ideas who controls NYPD blue now ?

cpkeegan

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
TVShowsonDVD.com has a section on their website that allows you to vote for shows that you would like to see released on DVD.

I know what you're gonna say....."That doesn't mean that anyone is ever going to release the shows I vote for!"

And to that, I say: Calm down. I just found the site and thought you might be interested in the information. Maybe, by some dumb luck, someone might actually pay attention to those requests. Again, it's worth a shot.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
cpkeegan said:
TVShowsonDVD.com has a section on their website that allows you to vote for shows that you would like to see released on DVD.
I know what you're gonna say....."That doesn't mean that anyone is ever going to release the shows I vote for!"
And to that, I say: Calm down. I just found the site and thought you might be interested in the information. Maybe, by some dumb luck, someone might actually pay attention to those requests. Again, it's worth a shot.
I honest think companies like fox/sony could give a rat arse what the fans on tvshowson dvd.com think or want, but what is does do put you on a list of fans interested in the shows so when there new news about the show (ie nypd blue) they send you email alerts. Thats about it which is still useful consisdering the pitiful advertising budgets most tv dvd releases now get. Atleast when industry insiders release advanced info fans are alerted to what new series or new season releases are coming out so they can support the show with sales. ;)

Renegaade

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Sam Favate said:
From the schedule, it seems to only be 2 episodes at a time, or am I missing something? In any case, looking forward to recording tonight's fifth season premiere!
They reeled it back to 2 the very Tuesday after my original post. Ridiculous. I jinxed it. Apparently people are craving "Without a Trace", which is an awful show.
In fact, they're not showing ANY NYPD Blues tonight (2/5), although they pick back up where they started next week. I hope this isn't a reoccuring theme, alternating weeks, but why would they only do it once. The last time they did it they skipped 3 episodes, so at least (according to tnt.com) that's not happening this time.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Why are we discussing shows broadcasting on television? This topic is about the DVD releases ... does this mean you have information pertaining to the release date for Season 5, Renegade?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Mark Talmadge said:
Why are we discussing shows broadcasting on television? This topic is about the DVD releases ... does this mean you have information pertaining to the release date for Season 5, Renegade?
Since the DVD releases stopped with Season 4 (and on a cliffhanger, no less), we've been discussing TNT's broadcast of season 5, for those who want to catch up.
Turner & Hooch last night! Geeez!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks