What's new

NYPD BLUE SEASON 5 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Got Season 7 in the mail today, and now I see Season 8 is announced for January! Thumbs up to the guys at Shout Factory for getting this done!

Four more seasons to go!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I picked up S7 at B&N last Saturday.

Boy, oh, boy has B&N made a hash of their TV on DVD section. The section used to be strictly alphabetized, A-to-Z. Now, the section is divided into 60's, 70's, 80's, etc., alphabetized within each sub-section. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I could not find NYPD Blue S7 - because they *also* have a separate sub-section for Crime Shows.

I'm friendly with the clerk, so I told him the new system is awful, and he laughed, saying he already knew - and that all the store managers are calling corporate begging to go back to the old way.

cardinal biggles

Auditioning
Real Name
J.L. Garner
Bad news...

I hadn't seen any announcements about a release for Season 9, and there weren't any pre-orders listed on Amazon or B&N's websites, so I emailed Shout! Factory the other day to get the scoop. Here was my response:

We do not currently have the rights to any additional seasons of NYPD Blue on DVD.

Those rights remain with Fox.

If you’d like to see the remaining seasons released on DVD, we advise contacting Fox.

Has anyone had any luck contacting Fox in the past? I tried searching through their Fox Connect website and their contact form seems to be only centered around orders you've placed through their site.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last show I recall them not having the rights to further seasons was The Facts of Life, and a couple years later, we got the complete series and resumption of the single seasons.

Or, Fox could be farming stuff out to Olive now. Who knows?

If all else fails, all seasons have been released in the UK.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Oh for cryin' out loud. With only four seasons to go, Shout could have finished the show this year. Fox isn't doing itself any favors by sitting on this.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
it looks like another dispute between Fox & Shout! Factory. This is probably the reason they have not released any more seasons of L.A. Law & Newhart either, they do not have the rights to any more seasons.

Here I was thinking that now that Fox & Shout are on good terms again we might get other stalled series released like The Fall Guy & St. Elsewhere, that is all out the window now- FOX SUCKS BIG TIME!! :angry:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I watched NYPD Blue every week until the end; I own all the season sets, and would purchase the rest, as well.

I also own Hill Street Blues and Brooklyn South.

Having said that, I will not be too distressed if releases of NYPD Blue are stopped.

I think near the end of NYPD Blue, or maybe when Brooklyn South started, Bochco admitted they were recycling stories. I think his terminology was "old wine in new bottles".

I'm mostly happy that we already have all of HSB, and for NYPD Blue, the Caruso & Smits seasons.

cardinal biggles

Auditioning
Real Name
J.L. Garner
Yeah, I was happy enough when Season 5 came out, since that included my all-time favorite episode of the series, the "Lost Israel" two-parter (an episode I love so much I went so far as to find it by... less than legal means, prior to Shout! releasing that season). Everything since has been gravy. And regardless of when they started recycling stories, the quality did begin to slip after Milch had to leave to deal with his own personal demons. The writers who carried on the show for another five seasons just didn't have his gift for great dialogue.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
The Obsolete Man said:
Last show I recall them not having the rights to further seasons was The Facts of Life, and a couple years later, we got the complete series and resumption of the single seasons.

Or, Fox could be farming stuff out to Olive now. Who knows?

If all else fails, all seasons have been released in the UK.

I'm glad to have purchased the remaining NYPD Blue seasons from Amazon's UK site. Would have preferred to have it all in Region 1, but it's better than nothing.

Unfortunately, L.A. Law isn't so lucky. Since there's been no word from Shout about Season 4, I'm guessing Fox isn't working with Shout on further seasons of any show right now. In the UK, L.A. Law made it to Season 6 thru a company called Revelation Films. Season 7 was supposed to come out in 2013, not long after Season 6. The date has been repeatedly pushed back. Most recently, it's been listed on Amazon UK as coming out this month. However, as of today the listing now shows a July 20 release date. They really should just go ahead and say the release has been cancelled. While not exactly the prime years of the series, I really did want to have every season, including the final 2, even if they weren't Region 1.

Interestingly, Season 7 of L.A. Law opens with a Simpsons tie-in storyline, which brings everything back full circle to the latest Fox news about stopping Simpsons DVDs.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
NYPD Blue is back on DVD -- TVShowsonDVD announced yesterday that Season 9 is coming from Shout on April 5. Hopefully this means they will complete the show. Previously, you may remember that Shout's deal was only for seasons 5-8. Hope to see it go through Season 12 this time.

Here is TSOD's announcement:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/NYPD-Blue-Season-9/21886

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks