What's new

NYPD BLUE SEASON 5 (1 Viewer)

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
As a previous poster mentioned, for the DVDs of NYPD Blue to stop at season four is (if you'll pardon the pun) criminal! Luckily, I always watched the show during its original run on ABC, so I know what happens. But to abandon the show at such a crucial cliffhanger is horrible! At the very least, they should complete the Jimmy Smits years.
Needless to say, I've always been a huge fan of the show, and I'd been looking forward to collecting the entire series on DVD. How a groundbreaking, Steven Bochco-produced, 12-year hit can be shelved is beyond me. Especially when all these inferior shows have their complete runs available. FRUSTRATING!:angry:

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator
beatlejam said:
As a previous poster mentioned, for the DVDs of NYPD Blue to stop at season four is (if you'll pardon the pun) criminal! Luckily, I always watched the show during its original run on ABC, so I know what happens. But to abandon the show at such a crucial cliffhanger is horrible! At the very least, they should complete the Jimmy Smits years.
Needless to say, I've always been a huge fan of the show, and I'd been looking forward to collecting the entire series on DVD. How a groundbreaking, Steven Bochco-produced, 14-year hit can be shelved is beyond me. Especially when all these inferior shows have their complete runs available. FRUSTRATING!:angry:
There were 12 seasons actually.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I think we all agree that it's a shame that it didn't sell well... but I'm not about to make little mad faces because after four seasons Fox has cut their losses. As has been pointed out they have given this series every chance to succeed in the market that is reasonable.

I do not expect or demand companies to loose money.

FallGuy

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
Eventually, I expect we'll have access to the entire series. Same as with other "stalled" shows like Larry Sanders season sets, or anything that's hit a snag due to poor sales. Direct digitial distribution should change everything.

But I will continue to hope we get through the Milch years of this show on DVD, eventually....

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
All digital distribution does is save on replication, packaging and transportation costs, which are among the lowest costs in distributing a TV series. Compared to digitizing and mastering the source material, creating extras, if any, and royalty and residuals payments distribution is a trivial expense. If the bulk of the upfront costs are still there, how does a different distribution model "solve" the problem?
Regards,
Joe

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Joseph DeMartino said:
costs in distributing a TV series. Compared to digitizing and mastering the source material, creating extras, if any, and royalty and residuals payments distribution is a trivial expense. If the bulk of the upfront costs are still there, how does a different distribution model "solve" the problem?
Regards,
Joe
I'm not sure it does. But I think if we see the show available it will be in that form probably thru Itunes where the series been selling reasonably well.

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
Fox has continuously started to release TV series and then abandoned them. It sure is funny that other studios Keep releasing further seasons of shows they have started to release. I can't believe that "Hill Street Blues" , "ST. Elsewhere" , and "NYPD BLue", all three shows which are constantly asked about, and which aren't found in any "bargain bins" aren't doing that well . Now Fox is going to start releasing "WKRP In Cincinnati". Is this series going to be another one started and then abandoned because of poor sales. Come on Fox, lets continue to release the shows you already started that are being asked for! Maybe if Fox would advertise on tv , something to the effect ;now available on DVD ...... list the series that are out they would get a lot more respones to their releases. I wouldn't have know about these releases if I didn't belong to the Home Theater Forum and also went to TVShows on dvd ,or the Digital Bits web site !

Thank you!

Richard A. Ringenbach

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Richard Ringenbach said:
Fox has continuously started to release TV series and then abandoned them. It sure is funny that other studios Keep releasing further seasons of shows they have started to release. I can't believe that "Hill Street Blues" , "ST. Elsewhere" , and "NYPD BLue", all three shows which are constantly asked about, and which aren't found in any "bargain bins" aren't doing that well . Now Fox is going to start releasing "WKRP In Cincinnati". Is this series going to be another one started and then abandoned because of poor sales. Come on Fox, lets continue to release the shows you already started that are being asked for!
Thank you!
Richard A. Ringenbach
Every studio has shows that they've started and then stopped due to poor sales; this isn't something that just happens with Fox. In fact, I think Fox has probably completed the most shows out of any of the studios.
As for WKRP - I guess the fate of that series is in the hands of the fans.
Gord

Clay_E

Second Unit
It's funny; I remember when none of the other studios were doing much with TV-on-DVD, and Fox was getting all kinds of accolades for the wonderful job they were doing with full season sets of The X-Files...still, I guess a lot of water has flowed under a lot of bridges since then.

nypd fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Lulu
I for one would fault Fox if they have stopped bringing out the series on DVD. We didn't see it on TV and bought Seasons 1 to 4 on DVD in order to watch the entire ONGOING story. Just to bring out part of the series is abusing the trust of the buyers. We for one are VERY EAGER to purchase season 5 and sincerely hope Fox will be bringing it out soon!!!!!!!!!! I agree with the other comment poster who said that stopping with the cliffhanger at the end of season 4 is 'criminal'. Please, Fox, are you listening????

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think with "lesser selling" shows, companies should just do what Sony does with All In The Family, which performs "okay" but is definately not a blockbuster seller by any stretch... ONE SEASON A YEAR. I can understand why companies wouldn't wanna be releasing a new set every 3-4 months for a show that isn't doing great, but I think every show (unless there's too much music clearance, and I doubt that many shows have that issue) turns enough of a profit around that the companies should be able to adhere to one season a year. It may not be fast enough for the fans, but at least it keeps coming.

Why abandon a show outright instead of just limiting lesser selling shows to one season a year?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Because if you're losing money on a show it doesn't make any more sense to lose that money every 12 months than it does to lose that money every 6 months. If Sony weren't making money on All in the Family you can rest assured that they would have dropped it like a live grenade. BTW, if they're only releasing a set once a year, how do you know they haven't dropped it? Whichever set was released last would could be the final one and nobody would know it for at least a year. :) If AitF is a slow but steady and profitable seller for Sony they may be stretching its release out because they are giving more priority to newer releases (there is a limit to production capacity and DVD manpower, after all.) I seriously doubt it is to reduce a flood of red ink to an annual trickle.
Regards,
Joe

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Joseph DeMartino said:
is a slow but steady and profitable seller for Sony they may be stretching its release out because they are giving more priority to newer releases (there is a limit to production capacity and DVD manpower, after all.) I seriously doubt it is to reduce a flood of red ink to an annual trickle.
Regards,
Joe
outside of a show with a ton of musical clearence (like I suppose I can see Murphy Brown's abandonment), are shows losing money or just not making a big enough profit? There's a vast difference between a show that Paramount or Fox or Sony or Warner are actually losing $$$ on and something that is doing "ok" but getting the shaft because at the end of the day, it's sales pale compared to what Seinfeld or Friends makes for them. IMO, shows like Who's The Boss, NYPD Blue, Bob Newhart, Growing Pains, MTM, whatever else, would be doing just fine if the companies just release it on a "one season a year" basis. Plus, the more seasons that are out for a show, the more people buy them. I know a lot of people who didn't start collecting Roseanne and The Golden Girls until they saw that over half of the shows run was out on store shelves, so that is another thing that can boost these shows that might be sitting on shelves with one season out. Instead of repackaging Friends, Buffy, X-Files and whatever other shows are long finished for the umpteenth time, the companies should concentrate on these unfinished shows at a slower pace so they can finish.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Everytime I see this thread pop up, I'm hoping it's good news. I guess I'll keep hoping. Y'know, it's kind of funny that Homicide: Life on the Street managed to get the whole series released and those sets were more expensive. I would have thought the two shows would have similar audiences.

NYPD Blue broke a lot of new network ground and it deserves to treated a little better.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
I don't collect NYPD Blue, but I share the same frustrations with Hill Street Blues.

Fox has continuously started to release TV series and then abandoned them. It sure is funny that other studios Keep releasing further seasons of shows they have started to release. I can't believe that "Hill Street Blues" , "ST. Elsewhere" , and "NYPD BLue", all three shows which are constantly asked about, and which aren't found in any "bargain bins" aren't doing that well . Now Fox is going to start releasing "WKRP In Cincinnati". Is this series going to be another one started and then abandoned because of poor sales. Come on Fox, lets continue to release the shows you already started that are being asked for! Maybe if Fox would advertise on tv , something to the effect ;now available on DVD ...... list the series that are out they would get a lot more respones to their releases. I wouldn't have know about these releases if I didn't belong to the Home Theater Forum and also went to TVShows on dvd ,or the Digital Bits web site !
What kind of marketing is done to promote these box sets anyhow? Are there any magazine or TV ads that I am not aware of? How about some ads in theatres to to along with the trailers before an audience views the featured film. Especially for shows that people may have enjoyed years ago but forgot the reasons why.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ric Easton said:
Everytime I see this thread pop up, I'm hoping it's good news. I guess I'll keep hoping. Y'know, it's kind of funny that Homicide: Life on the Street managed to get the whole series released and those sets were more expensive. I would have thought the two shows would have similar audiences.
NYPD Blue broke a lot of new network ground and it deserves to treated a little better.
I feel this way about Hill Street Blues. Odd mention of Homicide:Life on the Street. I actually bought this as it was released at a higher price point and then rebought when the complete series was released.
Please FOX, rethink your decision about these "quality" shows.

cpkeegan

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
hey....new to the forum, but just as maligned about the lack of Seasons 5-12 of NYPD Blue on DVD.
i've been trying desperately to find any information related to this and stumbled accross a general inquiries email address for 20th Cent. Fox Distribution.
[email protected]
I was thinking, or hoping, we could bombard the address with requests for the release of the other seasons of the best show ever to grace a television screen!
Any help would be awesome!!

Katherine_K

Second Unit
cpkeegan said:
I was thinking, or hoping, we could bombard the address with requests for the release of the other seasons of the best show ever to grace a television screen!
Bombing a studeo with emails wont get us more NYPD Blue. Email takes very little effort on the part of the writer to send, and thus are generally discounted by studeo. If anything it's more likely to aggrevate them.
What matters to studeos is sales figures, and NYPD Blue has had not one but two different chances. I think the most important thing you can do towards getting more seasons is to buy the existing seasons and encourage your friends who haven't bought them to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks