What's new

Northwest Mounted Police (1940) Question (1 Viewer)

stevenHa

Second Unit
I see on Amazon that there is a DVD of Gary Cooper's Northwest Mounted Police from a company called GoZillaflix. For some reason this movie is not otherwise available and I was wondering if someone knowledgeable can describe the quality of this particular dvd. Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see on Amazon that there is a DVD of Gary Cooper's Northwest Mounted Police from a company called GoZillaflix. For some reason this movie is not otherwise available and I was wondering if someone knowledgeable can describe the quality of this particular dvd. Thanks.
Frank,

I don't have that particular DVD, but I do have Odeon's DVD release of North West Mounted Police. I'll try to play it tomorrow because I don't remember the PQ of it since acquiring it back in 2011.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched about half of the Odeon DVD release and it looks good in my opinion playing on my LG OLED. I'll finish it early tomorrow morning and let you know if I have any issues with it. I see it's still in-stock at Amazon UK. By the way it's Region Free despite it saying Region 2 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0047WU26Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After viewing the entire Odeon disc I have to say I'm pleased with the presentations and think it's worth the $14.22 price including shipping to the US. After looking up that GoZillaflix release on Amazon and skimming some posted reviews, it might be worth a chance to buy it, but that release is like $5.00 more. Maybe somebody here has that DVD?

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One thing purchasers might be interested to know is that the DVD has been cut. The British Board of Film Classification objected to some of the horse falls. During a visit to the BBFC a few years ago, I questioned the point of cutting the film considering it was made so many years ago - not that I approve of the use of trip wires of course.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
After viewing the entire Odeon disc I have to say I'm pleased with the presentations and think it's worth the $14.22 price including shipping to the US. After looking up that GoZillaflix release on Amazon and skimming some posted reviews, it might be worth a chance to buy it, but that release is like $5.00 more. Maybe somebody here has that DVD?

Sorry for replying to such and old thread but not sure where else to post this. I was looking to get the story of Dr Wassell just released by universal spain. The shipping is really high and came to 36 dollars on amazon Spain. If i got northwest mounted police that was released last year by universal spain it would only be couple dollars extra for shipping.

Yet when i looked at reviews of northwest mounted police it got very bad reviews on amazon spain talking about blurry image. Could the odeon dvd be better than the blu ray directly from universall in spain? I already have the Odeon dvd and it does look good on my lg oled tv upscaled. This may be the rare case where the none universal released dvd is better than the universal blu ray.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If the Blu-ray disc in Spain was genuinely released by Universal and is not just another Spanish bootleg, then it ought to have better picture quality than a DVD and certainly should not be "blurry." If it's a bootleg of course, anything's possible. If more than one person thinks the images are not clear and clean, I'd avoid this Blu-ray disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the Blu-ray disc in Spain was genuinely released by Universal and is not just another Spanish bootleg, then it ought to have better picture quality than a DVD and certainly should not be "blurry." If it's a bootleg of course, anything's possible. If more than one person thinks the images are not clear and clean, I'd avoid this Blu-ray disc.
Yeah, it sounds like a bootleg to me. I'm not sure if this movie is covered with Kino's last contract with Universal, but it could be coming from them as they love releasing Gary Cooper movies.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Yeah, it sounds like a bootleg to me. I'm not sure if this movie is covered with Kino's last contract with Universal, but it could be coming from them as they love releasing Gary Cooper movies.
There is only one cooper title left that is very probable in this current deal and that would be now and forever 1934 with cooper lombard and shirley temple. Yet there is another deal in the works with 100 universal titles that just needs signed in july.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thought someone had posted in another thread there is a underlying rights issue here in the States stopping Uni from releasing here? The poster had said it was not worth the cost to clear the title?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Can anyone identify which disc release this nice, French tracked, "North West Mounted Police" YouTube upload is. It runs 126 minutes. Does it have an English track?

There's a lesser video English upload that runs 120 minutes. I guess this is time sped or edited. (Maybe the missing horse falls mentioned above?) I plan to show the nicer one on the TV with the sound off. And run the English version sound from a laptop so I can keep them in sync when the sound on the shorter version runs ahead. Silly, but what the heck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks