What's new

Noob questions (1 Viewer)

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Hey fellas, Got an older Sony HTiB and wanting to move on up to a 5.1 receiver. First question is will a 'real' receiver blow up the speakers i currently have that i can't afford to replace at the moment. I'm planning on a receiver and 2 towers first. Keep the old sony center and surrounds. Also, it has a small sub if you call it that. Will it blow that up too coming from the receiver's sub output? I can include a link to the reciever but I don't know if I'm supposed to link to store websites. Any help would be cool!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Just give us the model numbers. As far as I know, links to stores are O.K. but they frown upon links to auction sites (ebay). If you select an appropriate crossover for the center and surrounds you probably won't damage them as long as you use common sense with the volume control knob :) . The biggest thing to look at is the speakers impendance rating. Many htib speakers have ohm ratings that are a little lower than most receivers can handle. You shouldn't use 4 ohm speakers with a receiver only rated for 8 ohms. Since you're just using the center and surrounds it might not be too much of an issue but why take chances. If your Sony sub is self-powered it will most likely work with a new receiver providing it has the usual connections. Often times it's not easy to integrate new receivers/speakers with htib's (or Bose products).

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Thanks! Let me give you some numbers and maybe that'll help. The old system is a Sony DAV-DX250. The receiver I'm looking at is a Yamaha RX-V371. Price and reviews are good and looks like a good mid range receiver. The sub is passive btw. Hope this helps!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The speakers from that Sony htib are only 2.7 ohms which is way too low for the Yamaha 371 (or just about any other receiver out there). The 371 really need 8 ohm speakers. And the sub being passive doesn't help either as it would need to be powered by the 371 and it just wouldn't be able to do that very well. Bottom line is, the receiver wouldn't blow up the speakers but the speakers would cause the receiver to go into 'self-protect" mode. You're going to have to replace the entire system. Sorry :( .

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
I'd be lying if I said I was surprised by that.... Oh well. Got to start somewhere. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks