What's new

Non DTS Pioneer Elite? (1 Viewer)

JacobK

Auditioning
Would you buy one of these. I am new to surround sound and found a used one in town for $200. This was the second to the top of line model for them before they used DTS. Is this a good begineer receiver that I can build my system around and then upgrade again when I have more money or should I just wait? All comments are appreciated. The model number is VSX-07TX.
Thanks
Jacob

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I had a friend that bought one when they were new, about 5-6 years ago. He still has it. It sounds great IMHO. He is running Paradigm Studios with it (if you've heard of those) and everytime I go over there I'm like "Man this sounds so good".

I'm also a big DTS fan and I think it's a must, but I'm sure others will disagree.
I'm also a "spend a little more to do it right now, than to blow $200.00 now and then do it again a year or so". That reciever, as good as it is, is only gonna go down in value.
There are a number of capable recievers out there for that price or just a bit more that will be more current as far as features. They might not look as pretty or have the build quality but depending on what the rest of your system consists of, that might be a better way to go.

If you don't care about DTS or a 5.1 channnel input, for SACD or DVDA, then maybe you should jump on it.

Things have changed alot in the past 5 years and you can get quite alot nowadays for $200.00. I'd check around and see if something else catches my fancy before I pulled the trigger on that one.

Good luck!

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
you can get a pioneer VSX-D412 for under 200 brand new it has dolby dts and and a ton of other options good beginner receiver.

JacobK

Auditioning
Thanks guys, I am familiar with paradigm, I am actually more in to two channel audio but I decided it was time for surround sound for home theater. I will be using the receiver mainly for home theater paired with some Acoustic Energy's. It will also be used for background music. For my two channel I listen mainly to vinyl on my Sennheisers, through a headphone amp. I think that I may get this receiver because I would rather have something that has good build quality over a ton of features I won't use, like DVD-A, and component video switching. The only thing was the non DTS but I think that I can live without for the time being. I probably won't upgrade again for 3 years or so at which point I will hopefully have deeper pockets.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I think it would be a good first surround receiver. There aren't that many DVD's with DTS anyway. Most are Dolby Digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks