Question... To buy 1802 or 3802...? Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Mack, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Guys,

I NEED to upgrade... I have an old Pioneer Elite VSX-05 which at the time was good for $400. No DTS, DPLII, 5.1
    I want to jump into DTS. My local B&M store here in NYC, "The WIZ", has seriously reduced the 02 models pricewise. The 1802 is $297 and the 3802 is $539.
    I can only have 5.1, (Studio apt... no room behind couch!)
    And don't think I need a TREMENDOUS amount of wattage... Viewing area is approx. 12x10'
    So, I know the 3802 is better and has more features but for me, is it worth $240 more???
    Obviously, $299 would be easier for me and I would still have to try and sell the Pioneer. I have an old Onkyo non surround amp gathering dust at my mom's already!
    Thanx in advance for any responses, guys!!!

[​IMG] D

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yes, the 3802 is definately worth the additional amount of money over the 1802. My reasons that I can recall:

1) 3 crossover points on the 3802: 80, 100 & 120 Hz. The 1802 is fixed at 80 Hz.

2) On-screen display. The 3802 features this option, while the 1802 does not.

Then there's the other differences: more channels and more watts with the 3802, somewhat better remote control, a receiver that was made in Japan and not Malaysia and some other differences.

The price on the 3802 is outstanding. I'm assuming The Wiz is an authorized retailer so you shouldn't have any warranty issues. Go for it! [​IMG]

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I have the 1602, the 1802's little brother. I find it does well for my apartment living. I can barely get above -20 without it being too loud (well, not too loud for me, but the neighbors). So it provides enough power. I have had zero problems with the unit. Everyone says the remote sucks, but I don't see a problem with it. I only have to use it for a couple things that I don't have programmed in my main all-for-one remote.
    So all in all, it basically does everything I need it too do, and does it well. I don't see myself having to upgrade anytime soon.
    Just a view from the budget side. [​IMG]

4. MikeyL

MikeyL Auditioning

I own a Denon 1082 - Which is functionally identical to the 3802.

The price you were offered on the 3802 is SUPERB !

If you do not get it, you will rue the day you made that decision. The only thing you will be sorry for is that the 3803 is so much more expensive.

Do not look at the "watts," and your current living accommodations - Also think about the future.

The 3802 is a HANDS DOWN Winner !

You will feel as though you made a great buying decision, altho it might take you a week or so to realize that.
    The price The Wiz is offering you is HALF of what it not-so-long-ago sold for.

AND ! .... If you ever wanna sell your receiver, you'll get ALOT more for the 3802 than the other model ~

But, in any case .. Good Luck !

Mikey L

5. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

I own the 1802 and feel it's a great receiver, but if I had the chance to buy the 3802 for just a few hundred more I would have jumped at the chance. Along with some of the other fetures mentioned in above posts. It also has preouts on all channels not just the front three. Also component video switching that isn't available on the 1802. All round there are more connections so for a few hundred more it is seems worth it. If you upgrade in a few years it will have better resale value.

6. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

do you mind filling us on in the dealer that is selling the 3802 for $539?
    THanks!
    Elbert

7. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I can answer that one Elbert,

8. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Haha. Sorry I missed that one, Brian. You have my thumbs up on the 3802 - much higher caliber performance!
    Elbert

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanx for the responses, guys....

I think I'm leaning towards the 3802. Worth saving a bit longer than the instant grat. fix!

I appreciate the feedback, fellas!
    Oh and BTW, I have NHT Super One's and a Super Center...

[​IMG] D