What's new

No sound from DVD (1 Viewer)

Tim Kling

Auditioning
I have a Yamaha HTR 5740 & I tried to hook up a Sony DVD/CD player via component & optical cables and the audio works just fine with a CD but I only get video and no audio when I try to play a DVD. Ive checked all the settings but can't seem to make any progress. I know it's a cheap unit but I would still like to figure it out. Any ideas?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
can you confirm how you have everything wired up?

it sounds like you're running the optical cable from the dvd player to the receiver (the 5740 is a fine receiver btw)? that sounds right, so i don't know why you wouldn't get audio when watching the dvd.

are you also running composite cabling for the audio left/right? i'm curious because you state you can play cd's with no problem.

i'm assuming you're running separate connections to the receiver? one to the cd input and one to the dvd optical input?

Tim Kling

Auditioning
There is only one optical output from the sony unit. I had the component cables connected between the sony & the yamaha for video signal & the optical cable for audio. Also I had component from the yamaha to my TV. After I found this config to be lacking I then connected the composite audio between the sony & the yamaha in order to get audio when playing a DVD.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Are you using the same input mode on the receiver when trying DVDs that you used when playing CDs?

When you say you "get audio from CDs"-- do you mean when using the same player (using the sony DVD/CD player for both CD and DVD discs: cd works but DVD does not??)

My cousin called me once with the identical problem: He had a dvd/cd player connected to the receiver via an optical cable: using the same identical player, the CD playback worked and DVD did not (he got vid but no aud)...

He had associated the Optical input with the "CD" mode on the receiver- It worked fine when he selected CD on the receiver HOWEVER when he switched the receiver to DVD, he got no sound (because the audio send from the DVD player was connected to the receiver associated with the "CD" input and nothing was connected associated with the "DVD" input-- but since it said DVD on the screen on the receiver, he thought that he should get sound).

Just a thought.

-V

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
And to recap:

When running JUST an optical cable between the dvd and receiver, the cd audio works fine but the DVD does not? Can you post for sure what works/doesn't work with the optical connection?

When running a set of analog cables between the dvd & receiver it works for both cd and dvd? (Btw- you previously referred to this connection as "composite" which is actually a video format, in the case of red/white audio connection- we tend to call them analog, which will help in being clear.) Can you post for sure what works/doesn't work with the analog connection?

You leave the receiver set to DVD, and in both cases (optical and analog) the dvd audio connection is wired to the receiver and the proper selection for analog or digital has been made in the receiver?

-V

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
to be clear. when you're trying to listen to *either* cd or dvd, you're keeping the receiver set to the dvd input?

it sounds to me like you need to rewire a little. try this.

1. connect analog cable from the dvd player (audio out) to the cd input on the receiver (cd audio in)

2. connect the video output from the dvd player (video out) to the dvd input on the receiver (dvd video in)

3. connect the optical output from the dvd player (optical out) to the dvd input on the receiver (dvd optical in)

(i'm assuming you're running a monitor-out to your tv already.)

now, try listening to cd's by switching the input on the receiver to cd.

then try to watch a dvd by switching the input on the receiver to dvd

----

vince, not positive, but i don't think the 5740 has assignable inputs...

Tim Kling

Auditioning
with the optical connection the audio does work for a CD but not for a DVD.
with analog connections both the CD and the DVD work.
The reviever has a auto setting for analog or digital and I'm guessing that this is for all modes since I can only find it in one spot onthe menu. No it doesn't have assignable inputs.

The unit I'm having problems with is a Sony DVD/CD player, it has component & composite outputs for the video, and analog & optical & digital for the audio, and yes when I use it I leave the yamaha reciever in DVD mode because the sony automaticaly detects if it is a CD or DVD and I don't see how the receiver can see it as a different component because it isn't.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what doesn't make sense is that, with the way you currently have it wired up, you should get audio for both cd and dvd.

if you're willing to experiment, wire it up the way i've said and see what happens. that could also help us isolate the problem.

Kamlesh

Auditioning
Select the receiver's input as TV. When a DVD player sends a audio signal from a video source, the receiver understands it. I had the same problem: No sound when the reciever display said MD/CD player. The moment I switched the receiver's input selector to TV, it worked fine. Though mine is an Onkyo receiver. Try it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
to me, that means you had the connections in the back mixed up.

a receiver will only play from whatever input you have hooked up in the back. it has nothing to do with a receivers ability to "understand" a signal from a video source.

to a receiver, an audio signal is an audio signal ... regardless of source. it could come from a dvd player, from a tape deck, a vcr, a tv, portable walkman, ipod, etc.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
maybe you need to go into the DVD player settings and change the type of signal it sends to the receiver. like there should be an option PCM/Stream or something. I only say this cause I think CD coding and DVD coding are very different and that is why youre only getting CD sound.

Kevin.Kh

Auditioning
I have the simliar problem.

I think my optical cables are faulty?

I connect the optical cables from my dvd player to my yam receiver and I get no sound.. but I connect the white/red cables from dvd to receiver, i get sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks