What's new

No sound from AVM-20 (1 Viewer)

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I have had my trusty AVM-20 running in my HT for nearly 7 months with nary a problem. This afternoon, I went into the theater and the processor would not turn on. After some mild panic, I removed the power cord and turned the rear power button off. Then I reconnected and turned the switch back on. Much to my relief, the unit came to life and appeared to be acting normally.

Except: There is no sound coming from it. The speaker test tones play fine but I cannot get it to play source material from any of my 3 sources. Clearly the amps are working because I am getting sound from the test tones.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Any suggestions on things that I can do? Thanks in advance for the help.

David

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
David,

Does your AVM-20 work in analog bypass mode? If so, but it doesn't work in digital or analog-DSP mode, then the DSP board may have taken a hit from a AC surge. Or, if the software got scrambled, then the settings may have reverted back to their defaults. Check the setup parameters to make sure that your devices are configured properly.

Michael

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, here is what I have so far: analog dsp is not working. All of my settings appear to be correct. And the processor is correctly recognizing the signals coming in and processing them the way that I told it to. There is just no sound.

Ugh. Again, any help that anyone can provide is deeply appreciated.

David

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
David,

Try switching one of the analog inputs from analog-DSP mode to analog direct, with the volume down since this will now result in full-range output to your speakers. Also, have you tried a digital input, like from a DVD player?

BTW, since the test tones are working, chances are the hardware is fine. You may have taken a power hit or surge, scrambling the software. If it is a software issue, you may have to reinstall the software and MANUALLY re-enter in your setup parameters.

Michael

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Final update.

The analog direct mode works with the exception of the left surround speaker. This speaker does not work under any condition including the test tones from the AVM. Nothing works with any of the digital dsp modes.

According to the advice above, it sounds like the DSP board is shot. Since the processor is not under warranty (got it used), does anyone have any idea what it will cost to have it fixed?

Thanks to all that helped me with this problem.

David

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
David,

You have two more options before sending the unit for repair. Download the latest SW version (or use whatever you use now, if you keep the file around) and reload the SW, as Michael suggested. Save your settings before doing this. As a last step, if it still does not work, I would also reload the default settings.

If this does not help, e-mail your latest description of the problem to Anthem, they may have some suggestions.

GK

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
David,

I just returned from an out-of-town trip to hear that your AVM-20 is still having problems. I assume that when you say "The analog direct mode works with the exception of the left surround speaker." that you are talking about the 6 channel input. If you switch the cables to the left and rear surround speaker amps does the left surround speaker work using the right surround speaker output from the AVM-20?

If all else fails, you could try to reinstall the software. Once you do that, select the "reload the factory defaults" option in the setup menus, then re-enter in your setup parameters.

If none of this works, I would contact Anthem as George has suggested. BTW, your problem could be a defective DSP board, but if the left surround speaker output from the 6 channel input is not working in analog bypass, then you have something that sounds more serious.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks