What's new

Dolby TrueHD for Panasonic DMP-BD55 and Anthem AVM-20 Connection (1 Viewer)

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray player and an Anthem AVM-20. With a 5.1 speaker arrangement. I'm interested in how to connect these devices to listen to the Dolby TrueHD sound that the DMP-BD55 can output.

It looks like I could connect the 5.1 from the analog outputs to the 6 channel analog inputs of the AVM-20. I would set the DMP-BD55 to 7.1 channel sound. If I do this, will I be missing out on some sound (since there are 2 channels not being sent to my processor)?

Any other ideas on how to connect this to get the best HD sound from the Blu-ray player? Just looking for the best way to hear the sound from the Blu-Ray player. After the connection, any info on the settings would also be appreciated.

Panasonic Connection Information
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MPBD35-MUL.PDF

Anthem Connection Information
AVM20 Owners Manual

Michael_V

Second Unit
Robert,

Yes, you would use the analog outs of your BD player (assuming it internally decodes TrueHD) sent to the six channel analog inputs on the AVM20. Set the Anthem input to ANALOG-DSP so you retain the sound management and processing of the Anthem.

Does your Panasonic have an audio setup menu that will allow you to select whether you have rear (7.1) speakers or not (5.1)? Maybe someone who owns that player will chime in! I know that the Denon 3800 that I use required a lot of fiddling in the menus to ensure I was getting the lossless audio formats through the analog outs....

Good luck!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
After looking at pages 10 and 32 in the 55's owners manual it looks like you should set the analog out setting to "2 ch + 5.1" and not "7.1". I'm sure if you are watching one of the very few 7.1 BR discs that the surround back channels would be sent to the surround channels so you wouldn't lose any sound. That's the way most, if not all, processors handle it. They down-mix 7.1 to 5.1. You also need to set the hdmi audio out to "Off" when using the analog outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks