What's new

No more Mary Tyler Moore Show sets? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe Mr. Staddon said anything about not releasing the rest (or some of the rest) of the series to DVD.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I believe Jack is correct. Although Mr. Staddon did indicate that sales of MTM were disappointing, he never said that there would not be any future releases of the show.

DeeF

Screenwriter
My confession:

I own the MTM 1st Year Set (a few months ago), and I haven't opened it. There is so much other stuff to watch, and I've seen all those shows many times, so....

Meanwhile... I bought the first 2 Twilight Zone collections, and I've watched all the episodes already (over the Thanksgiving Holiday).

What does this say? Probably nothing, except I like Twilight Zone better.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe I am blowing it out of proportion, but I doubt any other classic television series will get released from Fox.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Matthew, you are blowing it out of proportion. Mr. Staddon mentioned a number of television programs being produced for DVD. Stay calm. No announcement to the contrary has been made.

Last night's chat was extremely positive.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Also, I might point out, it is the spread of unfounded rumors which, among other things, have cooled the studios toward participating here. Let's cool it on this topic.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I would bet that the sales of the MTM sets might build over time rather than hit big right at the beginning like THE X FILES or FRIENDS. You never know what the holiday season may hold; they may sell quite a few in the next month.
I expect we'll see at least one more season released at some point.
On a side note, Dee, you watched over 70 episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE in one weekend? Wow!:) That's a real marathon.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think publicity is also a part of it, and you are correct that review sites didn't cover it (they normally don't cover what they aren't sent). There is a lot of competition for the consumer's dollar these days, and reviews do play a part in winning people over, especially if the sets are done as well as MTM is supposed be done.

The message was pretty clear that music rights have become a major hurdle in getting shows released, and things like WKRP may not see the light of day until such time as there is both a reasonable market for the product, and the licensing costs aren't as prohibitive as they are now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even if I could afford these sets, I would want to be sure that the remaining seasons were going to be released, and not get stuck with a single season.
Just as an aside here, I don't really understand this mentality. I mean, quality product is quality product, right? If you want to buy it, wouldn't you want as much possible. I've heard similar comments about television shows ("It looks like It'll get canceled so why bother watching at all?") and understand that little as well. Please clarify it you could, as I want to understand this phenomena. You're by no means the first person to express it.

DeeF

Screenwriter
On a side note, Dee, you watched over 70 episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE in one weekend? Wow! That's a real marathon.
Well, it was from Wednesday night to Sunday night, and yes, we watched them all. They are fascinating, beautifully written, timely, and memorable. Very few real clunkers.

It's about 29 hours, 35 minutes for the (first two) sets.

Sorry, this isn't about MTM.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Adam, I have the same feelings as the original poster who you quoted so I'll explain my reasoning for it (and I am of course speaking just for myself, not trying to speak for him). If I buy a TV show on DVD, I don't want just 1 season and that's it. I want to have the chance to buy the entire series. For example, I have resisted buying Sanford & Son season 1 because Columbia had not yet announced a season 2 release for any of their series, and I didn't want to spend the money on S&S unless I knew further seasons would be released. They recently announced season 2 releases for many of their shows, so I will probably pick up S&S in the near future (after the holidays). If someone is buying a TV show on DVD, why should the studio not at least give them the option of getting the entire run, even if the person chooses to stop after X number of seasons. At least give consumers the option.

That's why I think studios should start releasing shorter-lived shows in complete series sets, rather than seasons - like what Disney did with Sports Night. They released both seasons, all 45 episodes, of the series in 1 6-disc set, which was great. More studios should try that.

Just my .02

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This is why *I* don't have MTM yet:

When MTM was first in stores on 9/24, my desire was to get it at Costco for $32.99 - $7 cheaper than the lowest competitor. They got about 2 dozen copies in. But I couldn't afford it right away, with other things I had just bought at the time (24, Space: 1999 megaset, Narnia 3-pack, an X-Files set I hadn't grabbed yet, etc.).

Well, a month later, Malcom in the Middle was hitting on 10/29. I resolved to pick both it and MTM up at Costco on that date.

But when I got there at 11-ish (on my lunchbreak), there were no copies of MTM to be found. Knowing full well that about half the original stock was still there the previous week - quite normal for my Costco, which still to this day has over 50 copies of their original SKID of The Godfather from a year ago - I was shocked that I couldn't find any copies.

I nabbed a Malcolm, then asked one of the Mgrs to check inventory for MTM. She said she didn't have to, she knew the Fox rep had pulled it that morning and it was gone. She stated that this was normal for them, they didn't keep that merchandise around very long. That I had to move quickly if I wanted it.

I bought Malcolm that day, and sure enough enough when Ice Age showed up the half dozen copies of MitM that were there the previous Wedsnesday had been yanked.

So now I get to use the Fox Demo Disc #2 coupon to get it at Best Buy for $39.99 - $5 = $34.99; I get to pay the $2 "slow loser" fee if I want this. Sigh.

My point? Well, I suppose other Fox sets sold better at Costco in a similar amount of time, but maybe slow-movers can use more time on the shelf. Maybe finding ways to trim the price back a tad will help, I dunno (I too figured more fans would pounce on this one as it was designed; I don't count myself a fan as I barely ever watched it growing up).

Lots more rambling thoughts roaming around in my head on this subject, but I think I'll leave this for now. Discuss.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I just read the transcript,
and he didn't absolutely say that MTM
would not release more season sets.
I hope that they continue.
This is akin to only being offered the first
chapter of a book....
We might not get CHUCKLES BITES THE DUST because
MTM bit it first? YIKES.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Scott pretty much summed up my thoughts. It is my collector's mentality, all or nothing. I like things complete.

MTM isn't one of my favorite shows. I did enjoy it growing up, but at near $50 for one season, I can't justify it when there are other things I want a lot more, especially when the DVD budget has dwindled to near nothing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's for the explanation, guys. It's not a position I personally would take by a long shot, but it's one that I can atleast understand. Thanks again.:emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If someone is buying a TV show on DVD, why should the studio not at least give them the option of getting the entire run, even if the person chooses to stop after X number of seasons. At least give consumers the option.
Because DVDs cost money!!! It can cost the studios hundreds of thousands of dollars to put together a special editon of a two-hour feature film. Imagine what it costs to put 22 or 24 44 minute episodes on six discs. You expect them to do this for season after season of a show on the chance that people who stopped buying with season 2 will pick up again with season 5? Does GM continue to produce a poorly selling model year after year so that people "have to the option" to buy it? They call it show business for a reason. Fox, Warner Bros., et. al. are not charitable organizations. If they don't sell enough copies of The X-Files season 7 to make a profit, there ain't gonna be an X-Files season 8, and nobody should be surprised or upset if that happens. Especially not if they didn't buy season 7. As Peter Staddon told me two years ago, with reference to that very season, "We'll keep making them as long as you keep buying them." The necessary corrolary to that is, "The minute you stop buying them, we stop making them." The studios are under no obligation to release product at a loss.
Regards,
Joe

Ron Kaye

Agent
IMHO: Other studios should do what was done for :

'Mad About You' Season 1.

2 dvds. 24 episodes. Can find it for $20 on some sites.

Maybe the picture quality isnt as good as it should be, but if it keep costs low, & allows future seasons to be produced, then I'm all for it!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I picked up my MTM at Sam's Club for
way under the list price...
hmmmmmmmm...maybe that is why they aren't making any money
on it...:frowning:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Joseph, Jefferson said it perfectly: only owning 1 season of a TV show is like owning only 1 chapter of a book. And believe me, I realize not buying a season 1 set doesn't necessarily bode well for getting future seasons released. It's being stuck between a rock and a hard place. But for shows that I really enjoy, I buy the 1st season set, even if I don't know for sure if they will release subsequent seasons. I did that with All in the Family and Larry Sanders. S&S is a show that I don't enjoy and much and so that was lower on my list to buy, so that was one I held off on on until a season 2 was announced because I wouldn't be too upset if I didn't own that one.

And I also understand the economics involved in DVDs, that part of my last post was written more from a consumer's point of a view than from a logical standpoint, I admit.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Joseph, Jefferson said it perfectly: only owning 1 season of a TV show is like owning only 1 chapter of a book.
Except, of course, that a TV series is nothing like a book. :) At least not like a novel. It is more like a collection of short stories. I wouldn't be thrilled if a publisher issued a leather-bound collector's edition of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories and stopped after The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, but I wouldn't regret buying the first couple of volumes. Except for the rare series with a continuing story where things really do change, I don't see the resemblance. It isn't like "the story" of Lucy and Ricky is somehow cut off if you only have the first 26 episodes.
I guess it really must be more of a "collector" thing. I've never collected anything, never got the complete set of baseball cards, comic books, Flinstone jelly glasses or anything else. Was never interested. I want the complete Babylon 5 on DVD, but that really is like a novel for television, a story with a beginning, middle and end. That's why I made damned sure I bought the first one. (And argued with many people who said, "I'm gonna wait until they're all out. I don't want to get burned like I did with the tapes.") But if they released the first two or three seasons of a M*A*S*H or The Mary Tyler Moore show and then stopped, I'd still consider myself ahead of the game. But I'd be sad if we never got to Chuckles. ("He died... He died - a broken man.") :) Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Regards,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks