What's new

No more Crest Hybrids for me (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I owned 2 SACD's pressed at Crest.....
Both cracked :angry:
DSOTM and Up
I will only buy the DVD-A's of the upcoming Universal releases if the SACD's are pressed at crest.
Crest is getting away with shoddy work and it looks like they or the record companies don't care....
Damn shame....I Like my new SACD's, well the ones that don't crack.

boycott Crest!!!!!

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I agree 100% As I stated in a previous thread:

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in the lack of response from Crest regarding their defective SACDs. The fact that they continue to knowingly press defective SACDs without fixing the problem so that they can reap the greatest profit is unethical. My disappointment extends to the record labels that don't demand a quality pressing of their titles. They too are guilty of putting out a defective product because they don't want to go through the difficult steps of finding another factory (I'm aware that their is very few) or to wait until Crest can prove that they are making a quality product. Instead of doing things right these companies choose to profit from selling a defective product "NOW" instead of selling a quality product later. They are banking on the fact that most people won't realize that the product is defective, or will attribute the cracks to mishandling and not poor production. This choice of business plan could backfire if enough people loose faith in the product.

I have already boycotted any hybrid SACDs from Crest :angry:. I refuse to buy ANY SACDS until I'm sure that they won't crack. I hope others do the same.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
How do you tell if they are Crest discs?
If they are hybrids, and if they are made in the US, and if they crack. :)

I also agree. No more hybrids for me, until I get some sort of confirmation that the problem has been fixed, and that there are no more bad discs in the pipeline.

I think so far, I've personally tried to get S&V, WSR, and just last week, DVD Etc, to do a story on the issue. I still have yet to get to Stereophile, Home Theater Mag, ICE, etc. (Although I think I've seen that others have reported the problem to ICE but nothing has really happened. ICE is still extremely new to DVD-A and SACD coverage.)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Crest DSOTM discs have the Crest logo on the inner ring.

Definitely readable with a magnifying glass...I can read it without under good light.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
How do you tell if they are Crest discs?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they are hybrids, and if they are made in the US, and if they crack

That would be funny if it wasn't so damn true....
I have a few SACD's on my wish list I would buy if I knew where they were pressed. Someone(maybe me)should make a master list of "cracking" SACD's. The situation is a big black eye for Sony.........

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Michael is right in that discs made at Crest say so in very, very, very small "print" on the mirror band. The Crest discs also have a particular sort of matrix code, but I don't have any Crest discs in front of me to comment on that.

All,

I have returned cracked copies of Dark Side of the Moon (now have a good Japanese pressing), John Coltrane Blue Train, and Norah Jones Come Away With Me. In addition, I had a copy of The Police Every Breath You Take: The Classics crack after the 30-day return period had passed. I threw the disc away and bought a European pressing from www.amazon.co.uk. The only Crest hybrid I have right now is Alison Krauss Live, which I bought last weekend. I'm just waiting for it to crack. :frowning:

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
My point is that it can be very difficult, sometimes impossible, to identify the pressing plant.
I agree, especially if you're ordering online. That's why I've put a moratorium on buying ANY SACDs until I know the problem has been resolved. This probably won't occur until some time after they've admitted there is a problem. This has definitely dimmed whatever enthusiasm I had for SACD. Way to go, Crest!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I agree, especially if you're ordering online.
That's what I mean. If you have not purchased the disc then you can't look for the Crest logo on the inner rings.

And if its a new disc, there may not be a review that discusses the pressing plant. Someone has to buy the first one and report it as Crest.

Also, if you use the "crack" test, then you really don't know either pre-purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks