What's new

Nintendo Compilation Discs (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
With the Zelda disc now coming with Gamecubes....I wish Nintendo would release compilation discs of their titles. I would so love to buy a disc of all the Marios, all the Zeldas, Metroids, Mario Karts etc... Price them at $20 and they'd have so many good retro discs.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I think the GBA is really working against this. Why would Nintendo put all the Mario's on one disk when they can put them on GBA carts one at a time and actually find people dumb enough to pay $30 each for them? For proof, look no further than the Zelda disc you mention. The best game in the series isn't even on it.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Sigh.... I think your right James. Why would Nintendo release all the greatest for $30 on a single disc, when they can slowly screw you for $30ea for GBA title. Good for Nintendo, bad for the fans.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
when they can slowly screw you for $30ea for GBA title
These games were $50 or more originally. You don't have to CHOOSE to buy them on GBA, but Nintendo is offering them on that format for anyone who does CHOOSE to.

They are not forcing your hand.

Keep in mind that the Zelda compilation disc is FREE. Free to new buyers. Free to old buyers who buy any 2 holiday Nintendo releases. Free to subscribers of Nintendo Power.

They're doing it to get people interested in the gamecube and to keep them interested.

I do think we'll see more compilations in the future. I think we'll also see older games included with newer ones. Though I'd like to have seen Mario 64 with Mario Sunshine or Mario Kart 64 with Mario Kart Double Dash!!, they did include the original Metroid with Metroid PRIME.

They also included a number of 8bit games with Animal Crossing. More will likely follow with Animal Crossing 2.

While it would be NICE for Nintendo to release compilations on Disc as you suggest, they don't OWE it to you, and it's their business risk to take or avoid.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
33mhz PC's won't sell for $1,200 on the open market. GBA re-releases of classic Nintendo games DO sell on the open market for the price they are set for. Fair prices generally are what the market will bear. Again, the choice is yours whether to participate.

Also consider that you are comparing hardware to software.

I can buy a decent gig+ athlon for well under a thousand dollars. I can also buy a moderately decent DVD player for $50. But Warner Brothers is still charging $30 SRP on Casablanca and My Fair Lady, though these pieces of software are old. Are they gouging the consumer? Should they release all of their classic films in a boxed set for $30? No, because this is their bread and butter. Same reason you see a rerelease of Snow White or Fantasia every so many years. Should Disney charge you less because it came out on VHS ten years ago?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Why would Nintendo release all the greatest for $30 on a single disc, when they can slowly screw you for $30ea for GBA title
because, you have to remember that not everyone has gba and gc. also, not all of the games are going to be released for gba anyway. i highly doubt we will see super mario bros or the first two nes zelda games on the gba. but if nintendo released a compilation disc of all the mario games, i'd buy it for $50. i'm sure a lot of other people would too. as long as it didnt leave out critical hits. same with zelda. i'm going to get a subscription to nintendo power because i want the zelda disc so badly. i would like to have a link to the past on it, which i assume is the game JamesH is referring to as the best game in the series. i certainly agree with that. but i have that on the gba, which i could play using the gba tv player thing. kinda annoying, but achievable. i'm all for the compilation discs, but i'm not holding my breath.

CJ

JamesH

Supporting Actor
John's Post
The question was never if Nintendo could do it, because obviously, they are. My contention is that the current setup is a ripoff, and judging by the decent sales numbers that actually aren't that hot when compared with the total number of GBA's out there, many other consumers don't find the pricing appropriate. Nintendo has very minimal fixed development costs to recover on these games. Everything over the cost of a GBA cart and the costs needed to bring the product to market is pure profit. Why make a corporation rich when you can buy Zelda on the SNES for $5.00 ? I'll support companies who charge a price necessary to recover their development costs, compensate for the inherent risk in taking on a project, and have a fair profit left over. However, $30 for virtually riskless projects like ports of NES and SNES games in a day where $50 games have staggering development costs is just plain gouging in my book.

I am not attacking your opinion, because obviously if the games are worth $30 to you, then you should buy them. I am simply stating why they aren't worth $30 to me.

John Madia

Second Unit
Assuming that Nintendo eventually comes out with a new system with a hard drive, they should have a bunch of classic games stored on it when you buy the system. Have something the first five Marios, first five Zeldas, Metroid/Super Metroid, and Punch Out/Super Punch Out on there. Bundle with a special "retro controller" and they'll have an advantage over the similary priced bare bones PS2/Xbox2. Also, have the ability to download old games to the hard drive for something like $5 a download. Have them perfectly emulated so people would prefer them over roms. I think that it would catch on with a lot of people and help sell a decent number of systems.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I must say I really enjoy this Nintendo compilation idea and hope that there are more in the future.

It really is an excellent marketing idea. I myself even buy into this hype of nonsense. ;)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Assuming that Nintendo eventually comes out with a new system with a hard drive, they should have a bunch of classic games stored on it when you buy the system. Have something the first five Marios, first five Zeldas, Metroid/Super Metroid, and Punch Out/Super Punch Out on there. Bundle with a special "retro controller" and they'll have an advantage over the similary priced bare bones PS2/Xbox2. Also, have the ability to download old games to the hard drive for something like $5 a download. Have them perfectly emulated so people would prefer them over roms. I think that it would catch on with a lot of people and help sell a decent number of systems.
I think this is a great idea. It goes along with my idea that Nintendo should pre-install "Animal Crossing 3" as a bootable option on the hard drive. Then you could play animal crossing, and access your game discs on your GCN2 in your "house". Further, they should have full online capabilities so that you can visit other towns, and have visitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.