New Zelda rumor!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Evans, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Talk about the very epitome of unfounded rumor (unless somebody's heard this elsewhere), but there's a Q&A chat transcript up over at IGN, and in it they make mention that Nintendo has two Zelda projects in the works:
    I. The current Zelda sequel in development
    II. A compilation disc containing all the non-GameCube Zeldas! [​IMG]
    I mean, other than that Q&A it's the first I've ever heard of it, so it probably won't pan out, but if it does... Uh, it'd be really cool [​IMG].

2. Tiffany A

Tiffany A Stunt Coordinator

Wonder if the compilation would play on a Super Nintendo? I never bought "64" because I knew the Game Cube was coming out (still don't have one though). Loved Zelda on SNES and Game Boy! [​IMG]

3. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

If this turns out to be true, I hope they include Ocarina of Time & Majoras Mask, and have them running in hi-res, 60fps and using the original non-downsampled texture data. This would be enough to get me to buy a Cube in it's own right. I played OOT from start to finish and loved it, but never got around to MM, so this would be a great opportunity for me to play it for the first time with enhanced graphics.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I think such a release would be a huge selling point. I know there are games that I haven't played and would love to. Also there are games that I have played and would love to own on my new console.

I think it could interest people in the gamecube and be quite a seller until the new Zelda comes out in December (more like 2003). However, I think Nintendo is hesitant to put out something that some may consider a rehash before getting the original title on the shelves. Perhaps they'll come out together.

Here's hoping.

In the meantime Rare should release Rare 64 volumes 1 and 2 to the gamecube - comprising each of their Nintendo 64 games. Perhaps Vols 1 2 and 3 for each generation of that hardware platform.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Um. Retro packs of games from the /last/ generation?? No thanks. I can understand the appeal of older games - I've got a bunch of 'em myself... But the likes of Donkey Kong64?? Just buy a dirt cheap N64 for it. I'd much rather Rare put their resources into new games.

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I assure you that I don't want Rare to commit a great deal of resources for providing retro packs. And I do have all of their N64 games. But since the PS2 is backwards compatible, and the GCN is not, retro packs would satisfy one of the desires of new Nintendo customers.

Rendering a port to disc of these titles would not be a huge undertaking. They'd just need a reasonable N64 emulator to run on the gamecube.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And to be clear, I feel the same way about the planned Sega Saturn/DC ports... It's nice they'll get a large audience, but I'm glad Sega farmed it out to another company - I'd rather see their talented devs working on new content.

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I don't know, a compilation of old Zelda games sounds pretty cool to me.

-Andre F

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Nintendo might release such a compilation... the year we begin mining the moon for green cheese. [​IMG]
    Seriously, though.. I would love to see this happen but it just doesn't sound like something Nintendo would do. I will gladly eat my words if this pans out.
    Joseph

10. Mark Evans

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

If this happened and a new mario compilation disk came out I would definitely buy a gamecube. I had mario all-stars and thought it was just awesome. I would love to see compilation disks of their hits.

12. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

The success of the Biohazzard remake might have Nintendo convinced that re-releasing proven hits is the way to go. I am sure many people would pay to play the original Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link in fully redesigned 3D on their Gamecube.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    How many Zeldas were there for the 64? 3? I never had a 64, but I'd love to be able to play at least those three. I played all the rest, I think. Well, with the exception of whatever Gameboy Zeldas followed the first one.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

15. Mark Evans

Sean, my impression was that these would not be the 3d versions where they were not already, so you'd get top-down version Zelda 1 and 3, and the strange side-scrolling nature of Zelda 2 as well.
    I mean, I have no basis for THAT either, but I figure they'd just touch up the graphics like they did for Super Mario All-Stars if they were to release it. Why mess with a good thing? Link to the Past is awesome as it is [​IMG].
    Greg, there were two Zeldas for the 64: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I've only played about an hour's worth of Ocarina on a friend's machine, but I would buy a compilation for this game alone, it's very awesome. I've heard Majora's Mask is good, but not quite as good, it has a bit of an odd play dynamic.
    I'd be very impressed if this even included the GameBoy Zelda's, which I doubt it would, but they were great from what I saw of them, and there were quite a few.
    Isn't it interesting that we almost talk about this title as if it's coming and being prepped for release? I think that shows either the desire of the gaming community for such a product, or my desire to talk out of my ass in threads [​IMG].

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Aren't they making a NES emulator in Animal Leader? There is a full NES emulator and about a dozen games or so that you can play on it (have to find them in the game). They could use that emulatory to play the NES games, make one for the SNES games, and then make one for the N64 games.

What would be cool is if they used the N64 Zelda engine to remake the 2-D Zelda games, then include every version of every Zelda game (except the three for that crap console). That would be sweet.

They might actually be working on a Zelda All-Stars for GBA. They should just port Mario All-Stars to GBA and save the trouble of porting each game individually.

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

The emulator is in Animal Crossing, formerly known as Animal Forest + which is being translated for release in the US. There is a huge volume of text to translate, however, so it will be a long time before it sees the light of day. The NES Roms will reportedly come randomly on included Memory Card 59's (perhaps 251 by then).

Animal Leader is the square-art game that I don't understand but am itching to play. It's got maybe a 40% chance of making it stateside other than as an import.

I'm not sure which crap console you are referring to.

I think it would be awesome if they recomposed each game in 3d as apparently they have with Sonic the Hedgehog (if you get all A's) but it would be greater still to include the original games as is.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The 3Di or something like that had 3 crappy Zelda games that Nintendo didn't make.

251 random games on the memory cards? I thought it was just 10 or so in the game and the cards were for the large amount of data needed to be stored (mem cards in the packages are apparently big in Japan with GCN).

If they released a Zelda All-Stars disc with 3-D versions of the games, they could make it so the games were identical in 3-D to the 2-D ones and you could use the same save data for each version. You go to the main menu, choose the game, then choose the version, then start playing. That would be uber-cool.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Phillips CDi is what you're thinking of, Morgan.

20. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor