What's new

"Nightmare Before Christmas" DTS format WOW! (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I just got Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on eBay cheap($12shipped). The DTS format really shines on this disc, even on my "budget HT system" the audio is stunning! I have very few DVD movies, mostly concert DVD's. This is the first movie that I have owned in DTS. It's such a improvement over the DD 5.1 format! Anyone else have this disc in DTS format?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One thing I noticed when I watched the DD version is that the LFE was very subdued during the entire movie. It mostly is in the dts version as well except the scenes where Jack is beginning his christmas present delivery and they are trying to shoot him down
. That actually surprised me when I heard the bass suring those scenes.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Neil: On my system it's not just the LFE channel that's different. To me it's most notable during singing/music scenes, which is a large portion of the movie. The acoustics and sound staging are almost on-par with some concert DTS DVD's I have.

Paul W

Second Unit
Neil, maybe this is sounding like a software post. Perhaps it may get more response of there. Can you move it?

I cannot remember if the new release was anamorphic (I seem to remember complaints about something or other transfer related).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nope. The new disk does not feature 16x9 enhancement. Disney saw fit to use an unenhanced letterbox transfer on the S.E.s of The Nightmare Before Christmas and From Dusk Til Dawn.
- Walter.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Even without 16x9 enhancement, I think it's still a rather good looking disc.

It's also fully worth it for the 2 short films by Tim Burton (Frankenweenie and Vincent) that are included on the disc.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Disney would do well to re-release this with a new HD-downconverted 16x9 transfer.
Anyone know if the current DTS disc is full bit-rate? That would be nice on a new disc too... :D :D :D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
It's also fully worth it for the 2 short films by Tim Burton (Frankenweenie and Vincent) that are included on the disc.
And the laser disc box set is even better with regards to supplements, because it contains the full "Making of" documentary, rather then the butcher job done for the dvd.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I just got this a couple months ago, have never seen it before, was saving it until closer to Christmas, but this is "before Christmas", so I think I'll watch it tonight along with something else, it's very short. I have the Canadian version of the SE, don't know if it's the same as the U.S. version, has dts and DD. I think this will be the first non-anamorphic 1.66 ratio DVD I've watched, so I'm interested to see how it looks.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Oh why not... first this was posted in the wrong forum and now we're way off topic...
...I'll bite...:D
Stretch modes or Zoom modes on DVD's ain't much sense... stick to the picture... it isn't that important to fill the damn TV tube up with a distorted picture now is it?
Sports displays, news, other television in WideZoom ain't bad cuz sometimes it's fun to see a bigger chin on Jay Leno.
Oh wait, stick to the rules we must. Gee, this looks like a bargain at $10.00 with DTS even at lower bitrates.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Depends on how good your sets stretch modes are.
Stretch modes distort the image, which I find unacceptable for critical viewing of a film. Most TV and DVD player zoom-only modes (i.e. no distortion) only work on 1.85:1 or wider aspect ratio non-anamorphic widescreen transfers. These zoom modes will crop the top/bottom of the image of 1.66:1 transfers. This is also unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks