What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Restored under the supervision of director Henry Selick, Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas makes its 4K UHD Blu-ray debut in a new Ultimate Collector’s Edition.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Released: 29 Oct 1993
Rated: PG
Runtime: 76 min

Director: Henry Selick
Genre: Animation, Family, Fantasy

Cast: Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon, Catherine O'Hara, William Hickey
Writer(s): Tim Burton (story and characters), Michael McDowell (adaptation), Caroline Thompson (screenplay)

Plot: Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home causes confusion.

IMDB rating: 8.0
MetaScore: 82

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A...

Continue reading...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Every incarnation of this wonderful film on home video has revealed additional qualities that add to its uniqueness. In addition to the original 2008 Blu-ray release, I also reviewed the 3D transformation of the movie here. Knowing we have such ardent 3D fans as members here, I thought I'd take this opportunity to remind them that it was once available in the 3D format now that the UHD has also been released.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I came across a random user review on the Target web site claiming that the 7.1 track is messed up:

"There appears to be widespread audio issues with this release. I'd hold off on a purchase for now. There are two English tracks on the 4k disc. The 7.1 track is completely broken, seems to be distorted as if it's been played full blast on a set of 15 dollar computer speakers. 2.0 track works just fine, catch is, it's a descriptive audio track, so it narrates what's going on."

No idea if this person is just a crackpot or what. I don't see any professional reviews talking about anything like this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I came across a random user review on the Target web site claiming that the 7.1 track is messed up:

"There appears to be widespread audio issues with this release. I'd hold off on a purchase for now. There are two English tracks on the 4k disc. The 7.1 track is completely broken, seems to be distorted as if it's been played full blast on a set of 15 dollar computer speakers. 2.0 track works just fine, catch is, it's a descriptive audio track, so it narrates what's going on."

No idea if this person is just a crackpot or what. I don't see any professional reviews talking about anything like this.
I trust Todd’s review of the audio tracks over some unknown user review.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Apparently some people over at the other forum also had problems with the audio, and there was a workaround for it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Apparently some people over at the other forum also had problems with the audio, and there was a workaround for it.
After doing some research, it appears this is isolated only to playback on a PS5.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
After doing some research, it appears this is isolated only to playback on a PS5.

Thanks for doing the legwork on this. As a rule, I try not to visit that other forum often. I value my mental health too much to spend more than a couple minutes there a year. :biggrin:

Robert Saccone

Premium
I picked up a copy at Best Buy yesterday. Brand new completely sealed or so it appeared. Opened it and found the sheet with the digital code on it folded into quarters and wrinkled. Tried to activate it and found it was already activated. To make a long story short I contacted Disney at the behest of Movies Anywhere support and they gave me a new code. Next, I put the 4K Disc in and about 20 minutes in started freezing intermittently. Took it out saw there was a huge a hazy splotch on the disc. Cleaned it off. Disc looked good. Played it again and it played flawlessly for the 1st 40 mins and then started freezing again. Ended up taking it back for an exchange at BB. Haven't tried the new one yet. My guess is somehow the disc was opened and messed with and then resealed to look brand-new. I asked the lady who helped me with the code if finding an already activated code is common. She said it happens a lot. Now I am a bit wary of buying off the shelf from Best Buy after this experience.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was able to spin up about the first half hour before leaving for dinner. My only issue with the audio is the same as with many Disney releases, I had to have my pre/pro at about +10db over most other UHD discs (and +15db over Nolan UHD releases). But once raised to that level, all sounded great.

Since I only watched the first half hour I can't confirm any video freezing issues which sounds like it may be isolated to Robert's Best Buy re-sealed experience.

I will say for a movie I was very familiar with on DVD and then BD (on my old 65" LED TV), watching the 4K UHD on a 77" OLED was revelatory. I hope all the people who worked on the film are able to see this release as it totally shows off all of their hard work in a most brilliant way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks