What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner’s wave of Christmas movies includes A Christmas Story, featuring a new 4K scan.

A Christmas Story (1983)

Released: 18 Nov 1983
Rated: PG
Runtime: 93 min

Director: Bob Clark
Genre: Comedy, Family

Cast: Peter Billingsley, Melinda Dillon, Darren McGavin
Writer(s): Jean Shepherd, Leigh Brown, Bob Clark

Plot: In the 1940s, a young boy named Ralphie Parker attempts to convince his parents, teacher, and Santa Claus that a Red Ryder Range 200 Shot BB gun really is the perfect Christmas gift.

IMDB rating: 7.9
MetaScore: 77

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English 2.0...

Continue reading...

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
A Christmas Story was a yearly viewing tradition in my house when I was growing up. My father and I would watch it when TBS (or TNT, or both) would the "24 hours of A Christmas Story" marathon on Christmas Day.

In the years since, I've tried to revisit it, and while it continues to hold nostalgia, I cannot get over the foul language. I just cannot "jive" with it anymore like I could years ago.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A Christmas Story was a yearly viewing tradition in my house when I was growing up. My father and I would watch it when TBS (or TNT, or both) would the "24 hours of A Christmas Story" marathon on Christmas Day.

In the years since, I've tried to revisit it, and while it continues to hold nostalgia, I cannot get over the foul language. I just cannot "jive" with it anymore like I could years ago.
What foul language??

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Excuse me? "Foul language"? The one truly "foul" word (that was only implied) in the movie was replaced with "fudge." The expletives that Ralphie's father spews when angry are all disguised within a flurry of gibberish. So, unless you consider "damn," "son of a bitch" and "hell" -- all of which have been part of the common vernacular of children since they were teething -- to be "foul" language, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Perhaps, all these years, I have been watching a "PG"-rated version of the "PG13" or "R" rated one you are familiar with, in which case I just think I've been patently fudged since 1983. ;)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Earned $20M on a $3M budget and in only a handful of theaters is considered a box office disappointment? In what school of economics does that kind of statement exist? Something doesn’t make sense here

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Received mine in the mail today with a Blu Ray copy included. Already had the DVD. Can’t wait to see the 4K UHD scan

Hopefully Warner will also release A Christmas Story Christmas. On physical media. It’s good

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watching this now. I like what I see- the colors are very nice, and since the sharpness is a bit lacking, I think there has been no over sharpening or grain scrubbing. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks