What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, I can't disagree with what you wrote. :) I love Patrick Kane (except if he plays really well against Boston, of course). I would pick him up in a heartbeat if it were possible. He played really well yesterday. I heard something interesting from a hockey commentator this morning who was discussing Chicago's current team. He said that the team has "one first line," and "three second lines." He said that this team, which has four players left on it from their last Cup, is far deeper than that one was.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Only four current Blackhawks are remaining from their Cup team? That doesn't seem right. Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook and Duncan Keith come to mind right away. I thought all of them were there -- it was only three years ago.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Only four current Blackhawks are remaining from their Cup team? That doesn't seem right. Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook and Duncan Keith come to mind right away. I thought all of them were there -- it was only three years ago.
Scott, I am certain he said four, but he could have been mistaken. I'll take your word over his. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott, I am certain he said four, but he could have been mistaken. I'll take your word over his. :)
I am not a Blackhawks follower, so definitely do not take my word on this one. I know Kane, Toews and Hossa were there for the Cup, but do not feel confident about the others. If he's right, it's amazing that the team has experienced that much turnover in three years and is still a legitimate contender.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wow, I thought the Matt Millen was the stupidest GM ever. I think Calgary's Jay Feaster may top him: Flames fortunate Avs matched offer sheet Kinda makes me wish Colorado wouldn't have matched the offer sheet, just for the humor value. Calgary loses a 1st and 3rd round pick to the Avs, have to pay a $2.5M signing bonus to O'Reilly, and Columbus claims him on waivers. :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, I hadn't heard of that one, but on my way to work this afternoon I did hear of the one with the Maple Leafs and the Oilers: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9014973/toronto-maple-leafs-trade-mike-brown-edmonton-oilers
Scott Merryfield said:
I am not a Blackhawks follower, so definitely do not take my word on this one. I know Kane, Toews and Hossa were there for the Cup, but do not feel confident about the others. If he's right, it's amazing that the team has experienced that much turnover in three years and is still a legitimate contender.
Okay, no problem.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A stick gets broken on Seguin's ribs, followed by him leaving the ice to get examined by a trainer, and you call that a dive??? Sacre bleu!!! I admit that Claude may be overstating things, but the 17 minutes that Chara got was quite excessive. Incidentally, both of the Bruins' previous regulation losses were to Buffalo, I think. The two Rangers losses were one shootout and one OT (the OT game was the one where the B's tied it by scoring two with Rask pulled).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
A stick gets broken on Seguin's ribs, followed by him leaving the ice to get examined by a trainer, and you call that a dive??? Sacre bleu!!! I admit that Claude may be overstating things, but the 17 minutes that Chara got was quite excessive. Incidentally, both of the Bruins' previous regulation losses were to Buffalo, I think. The two Rangers losses were one shootout and one OT (the OT game was the one where the B's tied it by scoring two with Rask pulled).
Sorry , but the hit on Seguin wasn't anything outlandish, but just a normal hockey hit to the lower body you see all the time, and Tyler was back on the ice again quickly. Under Claude Julien's terms, it certainly was embellishment -- and remember, I like Seguin. Chara then charged across the ice after Emelin and began pounding on him, while Emelin clearly had no desire to fight. Chara deserved the entire 17 minutes. I think Seguin's been taking lessons from Marchand, the King of Embellishment.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think I will like this new lottery pick system. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9016426/nhl-changes-lottery-rules-14-teams-eligible-top-pick Have a peek at this impressive list of past number one picks: "Recent overall No. 1 picks include Alex Ovechkin (Washington, 2004), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh, 2005), Erik Johnson (St. Louis, 2006), Patrick Kane (Chicago, 2007), Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay, 2008), John Tavares (NY Islanders, 2009), Taylor Hall (Edmonton, 2010), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edmonton, 2011) and Nail Yakupov (Edmonton, 2012)."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
I think I will like this new lottery pick system. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9016426/nhl-changes-lottery-rules-14-teams-eligible-top-pick Have a peek at this impressive list of past number one picks: "Recent overall No. 1 picks include Alex Ovechkin (Washington, 2004), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh, 2005), Erik Johnson (St. Louis, 2006), Patrick Kane (Chicago, 2007), Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay, 2008), John Tavares (NY Islanders, 2009), Taylor Hall (Edmonton, 2010), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edmonton, 2011) and Nail Yakupov (Edmonton, 2012)."
Even with the changes, Edmonton will still probably get the first pick again. :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Here is a nice video for Claude Julien to play at his next press conference. :D
Scott, And here I was, thinking you were a Bruins fan. ;) Seriously, I do hope the Bruins end up playing the Canadiens this year in the playoffs. That would be yet another fun ride. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott, And here I was, thinking you were a Bruins fan. ;) Seriously, I do hope the Bruins end up playing the Canadiens this year in the playoffs. That would be yet another fun ride. :)
I would love to see that, too. There have been so many great playoff series between these teams. There can never be too many playoff meetings.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Chris Bourque has been placed on waivers. http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/9027673/chris-bourque-placed-waivers-boston-bruins I have been hearing more about the streak (and the streak of the Heat) these days, which IMO is a good thing. http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/9024003/wayne-gretzky-said-chicago-blackhawks-miami-heat-debate-good-nhl

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NHLPA has given its approval to the realignment proposal. It will go into affect for the next two years, and be re-evaluated after the 2014-15 season. By then, you have to figure that one or two teams will have relocated. If Phoenix moves to Quebec, it would really throw off the geographic balance of the new divisions. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417615

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Stickers seen for sale on Amazon:
72e77ca9_41vo7loxTgL._SS500_.jpeg
78af677e_51gnRHf4PGL._SS500_.jpeg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NHL board of governors approved the realignment plan, so it is now official for next season. The Red Wings, Panthers and Lightning will be joining the Habs, Bruins, Leafs, Sabres and Senators in a division. That means more visits to Detroit for my Habs, and more chances for me to watch them live. Montreal has called up one of their young defensemen, Jarred Tinordi, from the AHL for a look-see. I am looking forward to seeing how he has developed so far. I watched Tinordi play for a couple of years when he was with the London Knights of the OHL, and he was a very good looking prospect then.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hm. . .four(!) Original Sixers, a reincarnation of another ancient franchise, the Sabres, and. . .two Florida teams. Yay Florida!!! :D On a side note, weird for a Boston team to have no NYC-area teams in its division. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks