What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another Habs - Bruins nailbiter, with the Canadiens hanging onto first place with a 2-1 win. All three goals were redirected shots, as both goalies were solid. The Bruins had a 6 on 4 power play and the puck in the Montreal end for the last minute of the game,and did not even direct a single shot towards the net. It was pretty pathetic. Jagr did a good impression of the Invisible Man, too.

Yoopie1.gif

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Please provide your comments.Big hockey fans here in DFW...like our Stars, but have players and teams we watch too, so we are annual NHL Center Ice subscribers and watch tons of games.The sad part is that Time Warner Cable here does not provide the NHL Network channel....have asked for past 4 years or so. Each year it seems more and more games are on NHL Net, so that limits the games we can see on Center Ice. Also, our Center Ice package only has 2 channels for HD, everything else is SD....sometimes we do have both home/away feeds.Am leaning to a change to DirecTV next year, but wanted to get some opinions from some of you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NHL Network is nice to have, but I do not know if it alone is enough to switch carriers. Do you get NBCSports on TWC? They carry a few games a week, too. If you have an interest in lower levels of hockey, though, the NHL Network does show some AHL and CHL games.What I find frustrating about both the above networks is they seem to have a bias towards showing a few teams. I get sick of seeing Pittsburgh because of Crosby so much.You do have my sympathy about the Stars. Neiwendyk and his new advisor Gainey do not seem to have a clue what they are doing. As a Canadiens fan, though, I am appreciative about the Ryder - Cole trade. Montreal came out way ahead in that deal. I never did understand why Dallas traded James Neal to the Penguins. Why would a team trying to rebuild trade away a young power forward with that much talent?

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Thanks Scott. Yes we get NBC Sports too. Just seems NHL Net gets more and more games...boo! Since we don't get it....more hockey is good, less hockey bad.Fail to understand why they would limit the audience.Not sure about that James Neil trade too....recall it happened during the bankruptcy of former owner/crook, Tom Hicks, so think it was NHL control....agree too, NBC: Nothing But Crosby.....root for them to lose, in spite the fact there are a few guys there I like.Stars are going w/youth, but must remember that some experienced guys are always needed....I.e. blend....hope they can make the playoffs, even though they likely get fed to Chicago.....big game tonight, am hoping to pull a point out of it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks to the Bruins late season collapse, the Habs win the division and get the #2 seed in the East.
View attachment 545

I watched a little of the Senators - Bruins game last night on NBCSports. They mentioned that every playoff game would be shown on one of the NBC networks, which is good news. I do not know yet if CBC is showing the Habs - Sens series, as TSN gets some of the games. Of the two Canadian networks, I only get CBC on Comcast.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm not sure about the number of games in each series, but I think the following teams will prevail. The trickiest picks for me were two match-ups in the Western Conference (St. Louis - Los Angeles and Vancouver - St. Jose). My first-round picks are in boldface. I didn't intend necessarily to pick all of the teams with home-ice advantage as winners. It just worked out that way.

I have the Penguins winning the Cup this year, although I am of course rooting for Boston. :)

Eastern Conference

Boston - Toronto
Montreal - Ottawa
Pittsburgh - New York Islanders
Washington - New York Rangers

Western Conference

Anaheim - Detroit
Chicago - Minnesota
St. Louis - Los Angeles
Vancouver - St. Jose

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
If only the Bruins won the game on Sunday, there would finally be a Habs-Leafs playoff series, which has yet to happen since the Leafs moved to the Eastern Conference.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter C said:
If only the Bruins won the game on Sunday, there would finally be a Habs-Leafs playoff series, which has yet to happen since the Leafs moved to the Eastern Conference.
Walter,I thought that that was going to occur for sure (Montreal - Toronto). It still could, but I hope not. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
I think there will be games on the NHL Network as well. Is it affiliated with NBC?
No, the NHL Network is owned by the NHL.

Montreal and Ottawa got screwed by CBC with their first round schedule. They open in Montreal on back to back nights (Thursday and Friday), and Games 6 & 7 will also be on back to back days. All because CBC wants Toronto on certain nights.

My first round picks:

East:
Pittsburgh
Montreal
Boston
Rangers

West:
Chicago
Detroit (need one 1st round upset)
St. Louis
Vancouver

I think the Blackhawks are going to win it all, but I'll be rooting for the Habs.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Last night's game between the Blues and the Kings was exceptional. I am thrilled that I got to see it (channel 355). And tonight, this station is carrying the Bruins - Leafs game. :)The Blues outplayed the Kings for much of the game (I'd say for about 2.5 periods). But in the last half of the third period and for much of OT, the Kings were putting a ton of pressure on the Blues. Once the double-minor was called against St. Louis with around 5:00 to play, I (and the commentators on a couple of stations) thought that the game was going to be won by the Kings for certain. It's not often that I see a play like I did last night cost a team the game. Quick must be beside himself for having let that happen.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It looks like the Bruins got a break in falling to the #4 seed, as the Leafs do not look like they are going to put up much of a fight in the series. Meanwhile, I expect Ottawa to give Montreal all they can handle in their series, which finally starts tonight. The Senators were strong down the stretch, and Karlsson just returned from a long injury. Also, Ottawa has much better goaltending than Toronto.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
It looks like the Bruins got a break in falling to the #4 seed, as the Leafs do not look like they are going to put up much of a fight in the series. Meanwhile, I expect Ottawa to give Montreal all they can handle in their series, which finally starts tonight. The Senators were strong down the stretch, and Karlsson just returned from a long injury. Also, Ottawa has much better goaltending than Toronto.
Scott,

Boston has played Toronto really well over the past few years (the Bruins are 21-4-3 against the Maple Leafs in their last twenty-eight meetings). I think Boston could win this series in five games.On another note, I'm a little bit miffed with the Canadiens - Senators scheduling. In my opinion, the first three games of the series ought to be played on back-to-back-to-back nights, with a three-day break between games three and four. ;)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
The ice hocked world Championships begins tomorrow. See

http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/home-oc/start.html

I imagine much will be shown in Canada and not so much in the USA- If I remember last year NBC had some. This is going on at the same time as the Stanley Cup. IF you liked the hockey at the Olympics, this will be similar except for fewer stars. When a NHL team is eliminated - some of those players will play. Many countries such as SWE, RUS do not need NHL stars

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
On another note, I'm a little bit miffed with the Canadiens - Senators scheduling. In my opinion, the first three games of the series ought to be played on back-to-back-to-back nights, with a three-day break between games three and four. ;)
Shhh! Don't give CBC any ideas!
Sumnernor said:
The ice hocked world Championships begins tomorrow. See

http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/home-oc/start.html

I imagine much will be shown in Canada and not so much in the USA- If I remember last year NBC had some. This is going on at the same time as the Stanley Cup. IF you liked the hockey at the Olympics, this will be similar except for fewer stars. When a NHL team is eliminated - some of those players will play. Many countries such as SWE, RUS do not need NHL stars
Montreal's latest signee -- Danny Kristo -- is playing for the U.S. team, fresh from his final season in the NCAA. I am interested to see how he stacks up against the better competition. I'm hoping he'll be NHL-ready next season. This tourney should give some indication if that is the case.

Speaking of other hockey, sadly my hometown Plymouth Whalers were eliminated in the conference finals of the Ontario Hockey League playoffs last weekend by the defending champion London Knights. It was a competitive series between two very talented teams (I think there were 23 NHL drafted players on the two teams), but the Knights are really tough to beat. They should do well in the upcoming Memorial Cup tournament. Look for Plymouth's Ryan Hartman and London's Max Domi to be selected in the first round of this summer's NHL draft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks