What's new

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I think everybody realizes that it does not make a lot of sense to compare players or coaches from different eras because the game has changed so much. I don't think anybody would debate that point. However, I also don't think it is difficult to understand that today's game presents a much greater challenge to a coach than coaching when Lombardi did.

Where have I disputed that with the factors I have noted in a previous post about how the game has changed? Furthermore, I'm not going to assume that past coaches with the same training and experiences as Belichick, couldn't coach successfully in today's game.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So, the question you should be asking is why don't they try the two point conversion even more often? ;)
Exactly. I don't know why teams don't go for two more often. Why leave free points on the field, especially considering how unreliable many kickers seem to be these days? Aside from Indy's Vinateri and that guy in Baltimore (Tucker?), kickers seem to be losing it. Even Patriots' Gostkowski, who used to be automatic, cannot be relied upon this season.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
What I'm saying is I think the "Patriots crowd" understands these factors as well as anybody else.

As much as I love Lombardi I don't know how he would fare today based on the idea that his coaching style was not to surprise anybody or to out think another coach...his deal was "We will execute this play extremely well and force you to execute extremely well to stop it."

A Lombardi team would run the same 6 or 8 plays over and over and over and just beat the other team down with it.

That famous clip of Lombardi shouting "Nobody's tackling out there! Everybody grabbing!"

Can you imagine him watching today's players?

Nobody tackles like they did back then. There's mostly grabbing and shoving. Plus a lot of what Ray Nitschke did is now illegal.

Sure, I think Lombardi could coach today, particularly getting more fundamentally sound players. Would he want to deal with all the crap that comes with today's game and having his defense mostly neutered? Probably not.

One of the things I always loved about Lombardi was his no nonsense approach.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What I'm saying is I think the "Patriots crowd" understands these factors as well as anybody else.

As much as I love Lombardi I don't know how he would fare today based on the idea that his coaching style was not to surprise anybody or to out think another coach...his deal was "We will execute this play extremely well and force you to execute extremely well to stop it."

A Lombardi team would run the same 6 or 8 plays over and over and over and just beat the other team down with it.

That famous clip of Lombardi shouting "Nobody's tackling out there! Everybody grabbing!"

Can you imagine him watching today's players?

Nobody tackles like they did back then. There's mostly grabbing and shoving. Plus a lot of what Ray Nitschke did is now illegal.

Sure, I think Lombardi could coach today, particularly getting more fundamentally sound players. Would he want to deal with all the crap that comes with today's game and having his defense mostly neutered? Probably not.

One of the things I always loved about Lombardi was his no nonsense approach.
I'm going to post my final comment about this subject matter. We will never know and it's pointless subject matter to speculate about in my opinion!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Exactly. I don't know why teams don't go for two more often. Why leave free points on the field, especially considering how unreliable many kickers seem to be these days? Aside from Indy's Vinateri and that guy in Baltimore (Tucker?), kickers seem to be losing it. Even Patriots' Gostkowski, who used to be automatic, cannot be relied upon this season.

Well, it's probably because most teams are not very good at the 2 point conversion. Other than Pittsburgh, in 2015 only two teams who attempted 4 or more two point conversions were above 50% -- Green Bay (4 of 6) and Tennessee (3 of 5) and the league average was 44% after you take out Pittsburgh's attempts and makes. The percentage for one point kicks was down last year with the ball now placed on the 15 yard line, but teams still made the kick 94% of the time, compared with 99% of the time in 2014 when the ball was still at the 2 yard line.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Chargers of 2016 may be the most frustrating team of all time. The ways they find to blow leads and lose close games are just an absolute abomination. They could easily be 5-0 even losing one key player a week to injury instead they are 1-4 and have blown leads in the second half game after game. This time a pair of late game fumbles ended it for them with a fumble of the snap on a field goal that would have tied the game late. They had a camera on Philip Rivers when this happened and you could read his lips and the look on his face said it all.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Are you CHARGERS fans happy now?
Nice win by SD beating a division rival.

Vikings enter their bye week 5-0. The only unbeaten team in the NFL. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was rooting for the gremlins, but I guess we have to let the Chargers have a win once in a while. :P

SD still looked kind of shaky in the second half. They're probably somewhat lucky that time ran out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ah, two squads of mighty warriors, armored in shiny new pajamas, preparing for battle on the melted tundra!

"YOU guys win. Here, we'll commit another holding penalty!"

"No, YOU guys win. Here, have your punt back!"

"No, we insist! Have another holding penalty!"

"Wouldn't dream of it. Here, have your free kick back!"

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
They're saying that his surgery went well, and he might only miss one game (plus the bye week). Some folks are even suggesting that he might play this weekend against the Pats, but that seems like a huge stretch.

A friend of mine who has Dolphins season tickets sold yesterday's to a huge Steelers fan. Oops. . .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, I saw the more optimistic reports on Ben's injury. Hopefully they are correct -- the team has no chance if he misses extended time.

Did anyone expect Carolina to be 1-5 at this point? That has to be the biggest surprise of the season so far.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Three games removed from a three-game suspension for a dirty hit, Vontaze Burfict attempts to injure not one, but TWO players, and gets off with a $75K fine (his NINTH).

Good thing he didn't take a football into the bathroom, or destroy his personal cell phone. Then the "League" might've REALLY come down on him!

And they wonder why ratings are down. . .

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Gotta admit the Bengals are a dirty team. Burfict is basically scum and I understand why he is so despised. I know somebody on the Steelers or Ravens is just waiting to take a shot at the guy. He should keep his head on a swivel during games...cuz there is likely to be payback at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks