1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Raiders played one of their best games last night and made me proud to be a Raiders fan.

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    San Diego votes on the proposition for a new stadium tomorrow. It requires 2/3 approval to pass. Does anything get 2/3 anymore? From what I've read it's not going to pass which means adios Chargers. It will be a sad day.

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Requiring super majorities is one of the most asinine concepts. It allows a small minority to have control over the majority.

Mods: If that is too political please delete this post.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Exactly. It's the tyranny of the minority. In this case, it's moot. From what I've found online, C only got about 40% of the vote, so it wouldn't even pass the simple majority test.

Sayonara, San Diego Chargers.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Today's Redskin's second half

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Damn, the NFL had some really entertaining games yesterday.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    First time in history there were two games featuring seven lead changes in the same day. Too bad the second one didn't feature eight. . . :)

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The end of the Denver vs. New Orleans game was crazy. The new extra point rules sure added some excitement there. Having a blocked extra point returned for a score to decide the game is a first for the NFL. That rule has been in college for awhile, but it's a rare occurrence there, too.

9. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    Yes, the new XP Rule has been exciting for all the wrong reasons for Vikings Fans.
    Blair Walsh missed another XP, his 4th of the season.
    Because of it, along with 4 missed 4 FGs he was released.
    Vikes signed Kai Forbush. Hopefully he will have the confidence to make a kick not be a
    scared little boy like Walsh is.

Panthers beat the Saints 23-20 thursday night.

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I do not like the XP rule that allows the defense to score. I grew up with a extra point attempt being awarded to a team when it scores a touchdown. If always thought of it as a reward for scoring a TD. Why should the team that gave up a TD be rewarded with a chance to score? The defense's reward should be limited to stoping the XP, IMHO.

And I really hate it that the defense scores the 2, and gets the ball right back.

Malcolm R likes this.
  11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Johnny,

I like the rule that allows the defense to score two points on the XP attempt. I always liked the rule in college football, and thought the NFL should have added it years ago when they copied the 2 point conversion attempt from college ball. I was delighted when they finally did change the rule. It adds an element of risk to the extra point attempt, just like with every other play in the game. Before the rule change, either team had the possibility of scoring on every single play except for the extra point.

12. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I think the Raiders are going to give the Patriots a run for their money come playoff time.

I'm also curious to see how Dak Prescott responds when he finally runs into a buzz saw. Not sure when this will happen, but sooner or later some defense is going to get after him. I think he will respond well when this happens.

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    And that's my point. I see the XP as a reward to the team that scored a TD. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wacko:

14. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, my early predictions that were so wrong...

The Jaguars would build on last season's advances and compete for their division title. Nope, did not happen.

Dak Prescott would not go on a winning streak leading the Cowboys at QB. 9 game winning streak, leading both their division and the conference, and ended Tony Romo's career at QB in Dallas. Big Thanksgiving day game on the menu.

The Jets would be the 2nd best team in the AFC East. Nope, total collapse. Fitzpatrick has been awful and they really got nothing out of bringing him back.

The Panthers would repeat as division champions. Ahhh...no.

The Bengals would chase the Steelers for the AFC North division crown all season. Nope, not happening and the Steelers have had to deal with injury issues again and now sit precariously tied at .500 with the Ravens at the top of the division.

The Packers would win the NFC North. Wow, what a collapse. Sure, the Packer defense has been hit with the injury bug but boy they stink. They have been rolled over by the Titans and Redskins and it really looks like they have totally come apart as a team. Is this the end of Mike McCarthy?

The Cardinals would win their division and the Seahawks would be a wild card team. The Cardinals, the most talented team in the league according to football experts...well...they have been amazingly mediocre. The Seahawks turned a slow start to a slow build toward Super Bowl contention. They will win their division and the odds on favorite for NFC Championship game has to be Seahawks at Cowboys. Still, there are 6 games left to play and the Cowboys face a bunch of contenders in that stretch. The Redskins, Vikings, Giants, Lions and Eagles are all in the playoff hunt right now. This will be an interesting series of games for the Cowboys. The Seahawks look to have the easier schedule down the stretch because the Panthers, Packers, and Cardinals games in December now do not look so tough with all of those teams playing mediocre to terrible football at the moment.

15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    On the positive side you have a perfect record. :)

Reggie W likes this.
  16. Message #176 of 478 Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Big question, so it's all out in the open that the Cowboys want to trade Romo at the end of the season. Romo has apparently made it known the team he is most interested in is the Broncos. I get it, he wants to go to a team that can contend for the Super Bowl. However, the Broncos have been fine this season with the two young QBs they have and Elway did not want to spend any money he did not have to bring in a veteran QB this season despite the fact he basically had a Super Bowl caliber team that just needed a QB.

So, why would Elway trade anything for the fragile Romo and be willing to pay him what would likely be a fairly costly contract? Yeah, he took a risk on Manning but the Broncos were QB desperate when he did that...they are not anymore. I hear these NFL guys hinting the Broncos have already given up on Lynch and that they may trade him but why would they do that when they knew taking him he was supposed to be a bit of a project for a year or two? If Elway trades Lynch right away like that to trade for a 37 year old Romo that would seem idiotic.

Personally, I don't think Romo to Denver makes any sense. Does anybody here think that it does?

I could see Romo to the Jets or Bills maybe...but Romo would likely not see them as playoff contenders. I do not think the 49ers or Browns would be teams he would want to go to either.

Maybe the Cardinals would be a possibility if they give up on Palmer, who has had his struggles this year. Arians seems nutty enough to roll the dice on Romo and they are supposed to be a talented team and playoff contender.

The Vikings maybe could want him if they had not just spent heavily on getting Bradford...who does not look so great. That would put Romo on a playoff contender with a very good defense. So, I could see Tony liking that idea.

I could see the Rams going after him to make a splash and to give Goff another season to develop...because Goff does not look ready. But the Rams do not look like a playoff team.

So, the destinations that would seem like teams he would agree to play for are the Broncos, Cardinals, Vikings. Of those three the only team that really seems to need a better QB is the Vikings.

I think the Rams, Browns, or Jets make the most sense as teams that would risk taking him as a short term solution but Romo wants to go to a possible Super Bowl contender.

I guess you could throw the Texans into the mix as Brock Osweiler has been average or worse this season and Elway looks like a genius for dumping him. The Texans in that bad division are certainly playoff contenders, they seem to stay near the top of it no matter who they play at QB and Tony would have a short move.

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Unless the Vikings think Teddy Bridgewater is somehow done, I can't imagine that they'd bother with Tony Romo.

The Texans might make sense, but I doubt they'd give up whatever Dallas asks for Romo so soon after throwing all that money at Osweiler. They'll give him another year, at least.

Carson Palmer might be on his last legs -- I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards make a run at Romo. I wonder if they would include Palmer in the deal to be Prescott's backup. :)

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Given how easily Romo gets hurt, I wouldn't think he'd attract much interest as a starter.

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, based on how few solid starting QBs there are in the NFL I think as long as he can pass a physical and show he can still throw the ball Romo will get some interest. The Cowboys are committed it seems to helping Tony get to a team he wants to play for so they are not going to be asking a king's ransom for him. My guess is they will ask for very modest compensation in a trade...plus all of the NFL knows this and that the Cowboys have their starter in Prescott. So, I doubt anybody offers much for him and the asking price probably starts at a fourth round pick and drops from there. So, it won't cost much to take a gamble on him.

The problem is Tony wants to go to a team where he has a shot at getting to a Super Bowl and the Broncos are his number 1 choice. Elway does not seem likely to want Romo or if he does he is only going to want him really cheap. The Cowboys would likely give him up cheap but I believe because of his veteran status he will still command a sizable paycheck and the Broncos have two young QBs right now that they seem like they would keep. So, bringing in Romo would mean carrying 3 QBs or trading one of your young QBs to gamble on Romo for a year or two. Elway was sick of having to deal with Manning the last couple of seasons so I see little motivation for him to "help Tony" try to win a championship. Although by all accounts Romo is not the whiny prima donna Manning always was. Romo is willing to back-up Dak this season but he obviously has no reason or intention to leave the Cowboys to be a back-up somewhere else.

So, you have only two other teams that seem like they would be "Romo approved" in terms of getting him a shot at a Super Bowl...the Cardinals with a struggling Palmer and the Vikings, who already have two high priced QBs if/when Bridgewater returns unless it is in Bradford's contract that they can drop him with little to no penalty. If Palmer suddenly retires at the end of the season then there is an opening for Romo. If Palmer sticks around...then Arians would need to decide he wants to have a QB competition between two old veterans. He may be the only guy nutty enough to do that but it seems like an odd thing to do and neither player would like that idea so it is inviting a huge mess.

So, if the Broncos, Cardinals and Vikings all take a pass on Romo then the only other option looks like the Texans, who as pointed out above dropped a big investment on Brock Osweiler and they don't seem like they would be interested in dumping money into another QB.

Really, none of these teams make sense. None of them have good reason to gamble on Romo. The teams that seem like good fits to gamble on him are teams like the Jets, Rams, Bills, or Browns. I believe Romo made clear he does not want anything to do with the Browns and if traded there he would retire and take a job working for the Cowboys. I mean anybody watching Browns games knows that the most dangerous job in football is Browns starting QB...they have been getting killed this year with perhaps the most disgraceful O-line in the NFL. Not a good fit for a guy that appears as fragile as Romo.

The Jets make a lot of sense as a team that could use him for a year or two while they look for someone else. The Rams look like a team that would gamble on him for a year or so to develop Goff. The Bills, if they keep the Ryan brothers around, could make a desperation move to attempt to contend by adding Romo...of course the Ryan brothers will probably get fired at the end of the season. The 49ers desperately need a QB but Romo does not fit Chip Kelly's offense and would likely only last a play or two longer than he would behind that Browns line. The Bears seem like they are going to finally dump Cutler at the end of the season but they appear to be ready to throw Fort Knox at the Patriots to try to land Garoppolo so likely not going to look at Romo. Although there are rumors that Chip Kelly, who is good friends with Belichick, may also want the 49ers to get in on the Garoppolo sweepstakes. And it is interesting that Belichick was pumping up Jimmy just before the Patriots went out to play in San Francisco...almost as if he was promoting some discussion with the Niners.

20. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The Niners are not interested in Garoppolo.