What's new

NFL 2008 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Dan Morgan would be a perfect replacement for Boss Bailey. Both guys spend more time on the injured list than playing.

Warrick Dunn's a classy guy, but I think he's about done as a player.

The Jets signed Damien Woody to a 5 year, $25 million contract. That's a lot of money for a player who couldn't keep his starting job on Detroit's woeful offensive line.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Q: What do Tom Brady and the circus have in common?
A: Two more rings than either of the Manning Brothers.

The Pats will be back!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The most interesting item in that article, IMO was that Favre was pushing for Randy Moss to join the Packers again (as he did last season). He was willing to commit to playing multiple more years if Moss came to the Packers. So, once Moss resigned with the Pats, Favre evidently decided to retire.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The timing of the Moss signing and Favre retiring certainly supports that.

Anyways, you had an amazing career, Brett. Enjoy your retirement. This should be the last of the Favre-story-a-week until he hits the HOF :) That's a plus. Hope Rodgers can play for the Pack...they still aren't totally sure about him.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NFC North starting quarterbacks for 2008 may now be the worst collection in a single division the league has ever seen. Rodgers starts in GB, Kitna in Detroit, Grossman was resigned by the Bears, and Tavarias Jackson is in Minnesota. Yuck!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Do they announce the voting totals for the NFL HOF? I know baseball does. There's no doubt that Favre is a first ballot Hall of Famer, it'll be interesting to see how much of the vote he gets in 2013. 5 years, right?

It'll sure be weird watching the Packers play the Lions next year and not see Favre out on the field shredding the Lions D.

Thanks, Brett. Even though you played for a Central/North rival, it was always fun watching you play.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I do not think the NFL announces the vote counts. I believe they just announce the initial candidates, the finalists and then the inductees. He is definitely a first ballot Hall of Famer. "Greatest of all-time" discussions are always very subjective, but Favre certainly makes the final list in the discussion for QB's.

The Lions never did beat Favre in Wisconsin.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

In the ESPN SportsNation poll, I put Favre 9th on the all time list behind Montana, Unitas, Starr, Graham, Bradshaw, Baugh, Manning and Elway.

The Lions were 0-16 against Brett in Green Bay, right?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
As a Cowboys fan, I always appreciated Favre :) The opposite of the Lions, Brett NEVER won in Dallas, which included some mid-90's playoff games.

I definitely consider him a top ten QB. But not top 5. He was the right QB at the right time for the sport, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'd have a tough time putting Favre in my top 5, too, but he's definitely top 10. There are so many great QBs that it's tough to make a top 5 list. Do you lean towards impressive stats and shear ability (ala Marino) or give the nod towards titles won (Starr, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, etc.)?

That sounds about right, although I think a couple of the losses were actually in Milwaukee.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Here's the Lions record against Brett Favre in Green Bay/Milwaukee (0-16):

All Regular Season games.

1992: 38-10
1993: 26-17
1994: 38-30
1995: 30-21
1996: 28-18
1997: 20-10
1998: 38-19
1999: 26-17
2000: 26-13
2001: 28-16
2002: 40-14
2003: 31-6
2004: 16-13
2005: 16-13
2006: 17-9
2007: 34-13

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Shaun Rogers just got a 6-year $42 million deal from the Browns.

Not counting his injury-plagued 2006, last year was his worst as far as tackles, 2nd worst in assisted tackles, but he did have his best year as far as sacks are concerned.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Joey Harrington was cut by the Falcons today.

Seeing as how it is a new NFL rule that every QB has to be signed by Tampa Bay at least once maybe he'll end up there.

Although I know Scott would be happy to have him back in Detroit, he'd be thrilled I say.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Considering the other QBs on contract in Detroit right now, Harrington may be an improvement as a backup. :laugh: There's about as much chance of that happening as Culpepper returning to Minnesota, though.

Zachary, didn't the Lions also lose one or two playoff games to Favre in Green Bay, too? Or were those losses all at the Silverdome? My memory's fuzzy on those details.

That's quite a contract Shaun Rogers received. First, Damien Woody, and now Rogers. Lions cast-offs are doing pretty well this offseason (except for Harrington, of course). TJ Duckett also received a 6 year contract from Seattle! Don't give up hope yet, Tatum Bell. :laugh:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well Scott, it could be worse.

The Raiders have apparently decided that if you've had a serious knee injury in recent years that you're worth paying big bucks to, did you see that Javon Walker contract.

If we can find a offensive tackle who recently had a leg amputated he might be worth $40 million guaranteed.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Yes, the Lions did lose a playoff game at the Packers, that is the game when it was extremely cold and Barry was held to minus yards rushing. Also the Lions signed yet another Tampa Bay player, a young safety. That gives the Lions seven safeties on the roster, and two cornerbacks. SWEET!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Here's the Lions playoff results since Brett Favre became a Packer (0-5)

1993: Home against Green Bay 28-24
1994: At Green Bay 16-12
1995: At Philadelphia 58-37 (I still remember coming out of church, turning on the radio to get the score, and being shocked at how badly they were beaten. Oh, how young and naive I was! :))
1997: At Tamp Bay 20-10
1999: At Washington 27-13

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dumping Harrington leaves the Falcons with Chris Redman (retro-backup, still has the stench of Petrino on him), and DJ Shockley (still recovering from ACL injury). I am hoping Dimitroff shores up the offensive lines their their 3rd overall pick and then nab a QB prospect with one of their two 2nd round picks, just don't think Matt Ryan is going to be the right fit at that 3rd overall pick selection slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks