What's new

NFL 2008 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
"With the 1st pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select.....":frowning:

The Edwards move doesn't surprise me at all, but the Jones one does.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sigh...Falcons re-sign Harrington (probably after getting an update from DJ Shockley's recovery from his knee injury).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Doesn't it just warm your heart to know your team has absolutely no chance when it's still March?

It's time to give Millen another contract extension, Mr. Ford. :rolleyes

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I am currently narrowing my selections for a new team to root for. I won't pick a front runner, but I do want a team that is maybe up and coming. I have about four candidates and will decide before the draft. Cleveland is one of the possibilites since they are fairly close and I can watch their games easily, and they are an AFC team. I have three more that I have my eye one, but do you guys have any suggestions?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I second Cleveland. Their management seems to give a damn and is smart.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Well, if you'd like to enjoy a couple Lions games a year, maybe an NFC North team.....

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, we can rule out the Cardinals because their record of futility has been nearly as bad if not actually worse than Detroits.

We can also rule out the Raiders because the Raiders have just recently turned in to Detroit West with the only difference being a much better legasy. So an abundance of patience, the ability to cope with a lot of stress and a deep appreciation of history are requirements. BTW, I seriously lack the first 2 but have an abundance of the third.

Going to another NFC North team would be as bad to me as any move Matt Millen has made. But then, compared to Detroit all the other NFC North teams would be considered front runners by default and you already ruled that out.

Up and coming eliminates the Chiefs, Rams, The Falcons and Miami from the discussion.

I'd have much less respect for you personally if you linked yourself to Mike Shannarat.

If I were to play this game with myself in place of Brandon, Cleveland would be a good choice. But then, for me I can get any game I want so being able to see and or listen isn't that big a factor. Actually, if I were playing I'd strongly consider Houston and I've always kind of liked the Panthers even going back to the expansion days.

I see much potential fun in a which team should Brandon pick for his own discussion. Even a if I were forced to pick a new team what would it be kind of thing would have its amusement i suppose.

A nice distraction from the current free agent market discussion of what kicker will sign next. In fact, Brandon's a free agent fan. I think you should line up visits to team headquarters and see which team can fit you in under the salary cap.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My "second" team is the Tennessee Titans. I have ties to the area.

They do have good talent, a strong fanbase, and they always play hard. They have decent management, and a GREAT head coach. They play in a vicious division though (Jags, Texans, Colts). Still, they are a strong team to root for.

Cleveland is a good decision as well.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Ok, like I said, Cleveland is currently the front runner, however as has been suggested, Houston is there too. I really wanted the Lions to get Matt Shaub, and Andre Johnson is what Charles Rogers should have been. The Titans are possible as I can't really say anything wrong about Jeff Fisher and my brother in law is moving to Nashville this summer, so there is that. I pretty much can rule out the AFC West and NFC North. I really do like the Saints and Brees, another Lions mistake, but I think they would be considered front runners.

As pointed out, I am now a free agent fan and my services are available to the right team. What I offer is undying loyalty, almost to a fault, willingness to stand up for poor decisions and just being a good person for your team. Oh, absolutely no offense to anybody here, but no Cowboys, and no Bengals.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Pittsburgh is my "other" team, so if you became a Cleveland fan we could be rivals... well, sort of. The former Browns (current Ravens) were big rivals of the Steelers, but the new expansion Browns have not been as much just because they haven't been very good. That may change now, though, that the Brownies are getting better. I say go for it. Besides, it's nice to see Cleveland fans finally enjoying some success after getting screwed by Art Modell. There are die-hard football fans in that town.

BTW, my Steelers fandom goes back to before they became the great "Steel Curtain" franchise in the mid-'70's. My mother is from western PA, and my dad went to trade school in Pittsburgh. So, the family was pulling for the team since I can remember. It was just icing on the cake when they starting winning Super Bowls in my youth. The Rooney family is the exact opposite of the Fords -- they run a class organization, and run it very well.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I didn't think you'd have the necessary police record to qualify for Bengals fandom.

The Saints are sort of a front runner but to me they're the front runner that gets a pass just because of all that has happened to the city.

I think though, a rule must be instituted. If you're going to pick a new team and should then lightning strike the fascilities of all the 31 other franchises and Detroit win a super bowl by default, you can't jump back. I'm thinking a 5 year contract with your new team is appropriate.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
5 Years seems a bit rough, I was thinking two years with a fan option for a third. , or Millen gets fired first...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
As a Bengals fan, I understand. I wouldn't have recommended them unless they were coming off the 11-5 season.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

No, if you're going to do it, you've got to do it right. Besides, if you switch every 2 years people are going to think you're a fan bust who can't fit the system...

Although, we might be able to do a 7 year contract with a heavily back-loaded last 3 seasons, requiring that the contract be renegotiated around year 4, that way it looks like more of a commitment than it really is. That way it looks a lot like most NFL contracts.

Oh, and you can't do the until Millen is fired thing because if you try that on the Cleveland Bandwagon, those guys in the dog pound might boot you off of it first and then instruct its driver to put it in reverse and repeatedly run over your broken body. I like you too much to want to see something like this happen.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Forget the "until Millen gets fired" clause. It sounds cruel, but it should be "until Ford, Sr. kicks the bucket". After all, if he fires Millen, the drunken old fool will just hire another incompetent GM. He's been doing it for 44 years. Why assume he'll get it right next time?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, I just have to suggest my team, the Chargers. You will find they are more competitive than the Lions, have a GM that knows what he is doing, are better coached, and are usually quite exciting.

You will have to wait longer to have your hopes crushed, but crushed they will be in the end.:)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
ESPN and others say that the Falcons will trade CB DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders for a second round pick.

Now, if that happens it would give the Raiders a great pair of corners in Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha who is the best CB in the NFL that most people haven't yet heard of and a pretty decent core of Linebackers.

Just fix the D-line and maybe find another receiver (I still think they're thin there) and I would have more reason for hope than say a Lions fan...and sure I'll grant that isn't saying much but you've got to start somewhere...right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks