What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
I’m just not understanding why they’ve not cashed in on “The Smurfs”. As popular as they still are, it only makes since to release season sets. It’s the only cartoon left that I’d buy.

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I guess I heard some time before tom and jerry collection has one short that was censored, am i right? and this coused that the collection is not full at all, there are missing this one short with censored

there were actually 2 shorts that were going to be on the volume 2 dvd/blu-ray , "Mouse Cleaning" & "His Mouse Friday"

both shorts had been restored for said release, and were meant to be included, but around 2 weeks before the set would actually be available, Warner said they would exclude those 2 shorts....
which in the USA, have never been released on ANY dvd set.
so Warner got scared because of some racial depictions shown in each short....

if they got cold feet, just because of 2 Tom & Jerry shorts from the late 1930's/early 1940's , you can sure forget about Warner EVER releasing the Censored 11 shorts <_<

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Popeye, can someone help me id the Popeye cartoon where our favorite sailor is captured by aliens, and taken to an alien planet and "interrogated?"

--james

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
And to speak furthermore about Popeye, what about the rest of The All-New Popeye Show, which H-B was involved in? We had two volumes containing assorted episodes from the first two seasons (1978-79 and 1979-80), but none from the third (1980-81) nor the two seasons afterward as a half-hour series under the name The Popeye and Olive Oyl Comedy Show (1981-83).

~Ben

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
And to speak furthermore about Popeye, what about the rest of The All-New Popeye Show, which H-B was involved in? We had two volumes containing assorted episodes from the first two seasons (1978-79 and 1979-80), but none from the third (1980-81) nor the two seasons afterward as a half-hour series under the name The Popeye and Olive Oyl Comedy Show (1981-83).

~Ben
What were the two volumes of the All New Popeye Show? I've got Volume One of Popeye & Friends (https://smile.amazon.com/Popeye-Fri...d=1543242481&sr=1-4&keywords=popeye+&+friends), but I didn't think that there was a second volume.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
there were actually 2 shorts that were going to be on the volume 2 dvd/blu-ray , "Mouse Cleaning" & "His Mouse Friday"

both shorts had been restored for said release, and were meant to be included, but around 2 weeks before the set would actually be available, Warner said they would exclude those 2 shorts....
which in the USA, have never been released on ANY dvd set.
so Warner got scared because of some racial depictions shown in each short....

if they got cold feet, just because of 2 Tom & Jerry shorts from the late 1930's/early 1940's , you can sure forget about Warner EVER releasing the Censored 11 shorts <_<
thanks you my friend for the reply! I didnt know about all these censored shorts! I hope they will become available together one day!! but.... Im afrain it wont happen as you said. you also mentioned about 11 total shorts.. you mean not only T&J shorts but WB shorts like "Inki and the minah bird" episode, that as i remember was also censored

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
thanks you my friend for the reply! I didnt know about all these censored shorts! I hope they will become available together one day!! but.... Im afrain it wont happen as you said. you also mentioned about 11 total shorts.. you mean not only T&J shorts but WB shorts like "Inki and the minah bird" episode, that as i remember was also censored
I would prefer such shorts to be released one at a time to keep the controversy down...

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I am very pleased with the new Popeye Blu-Ray. Highly recommended. Beautiful restoration. Just a heads up: One cartoon has the audio of the a.a.p. version, hence the choppy music at the beginning and end -- according to Jerry Beck, the original could not be found. But everything else is original and restored, including all original titles from the negatives. Watching these is like watching the pre-1948 Warner toons on the first Golden Collection. It is that good.

And I say this as primarily a fan of the B&W Popeye cartoons.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My hopeful H-B DVD releases from WAC for 2019:
Ruff and Reddy (1957-58)
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968-69)
The Cattanooga Cats (1969-70)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972-73)
Skatebirds (1977) (1-hour)
C.B. Bears (1977) (1-hour)
Yogi's Space Race (1978) (90 minutes / with all 13 Galaxy Goof-Ups episodes included)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
The New Fred and Barney Show (1979) (still being worked on, they said as of this June - so, hopefully not too much longer for this one now)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC) (1980-81) (90 minutes/1 hour)
Trollkins (1981)
Wildfire (1986)
Fish Police (1992)

~Ben

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Here's hoping. This year has been the least amount of $ I have paid to Warner Archive since they started the animated releases.
Me too. Other than the Popeye Blu Ray I didn't buy a single animated release from them this year. From the very few releases there was absolutely nothing for me. Last year I think I only bought Porky and 1 other release. 2016 was their last good year. Still at least a dozen 60's and 70's shows I would instantly buy. Including my most wanted from them:
2nd Volume of Huckleberry Hound Show
Wally Gator Show
Quick Draw McGraw
Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show (only the original complete show. I will not purchase separate releases)
Yogi's Space Race (only the original complete show. I will not purchase separate releases)
New Adventures of Gulliver
Cattanooga Cats (Complete Show)

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
WAC might be looking to restart the clock for Blu-Ray. Jonny Quest is next year, and according to Jerry Beck, if it sells well others will follow (particularly hinting at Top Cat).

Scooby's 50th is also next year, and no doubt we'll see something for that. Especially since the original show and a bunch of the spin-offs have been restored in HD already.

From WBShop's top-seller list, all of their biggest top-sellers are Blu-Rays. Those are the ones getting the attention. If Quest is any indication, revisiting the biggest released shows on HD seems to be taking priority over putting out new ones.

Warner has an awful lot of unfinished business in the form of Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw. I hope those are fast-tracked.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
WAC might be looking to restart the clock for Blu-Ray. Jonny Quest is next year, and according to Jerry Beck, if it sells well others will follow (particularly hinting at Top Cat).

Scooby's 50th is also next year, and no doubt we'll see something for that. Especially since the original show and a bunch of the spin-offs have been restored in HD already.

From WBShop's top-seller list, all of their biggest top-sellers are Blu-Rays. Those are the ones getting the attention. If Quest is any indication, revisiting the biggest released shows on HD seems to be taking priority over putting out new ones.

Warner has an awful lot of unfinished business in the form of Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw. I hope those are fast-tracked.
I also remember The New Fred and Barney Show (from 1979) is also on their to-do list, as it was one of three titles they announced at the 2018 WonderCon convention (the other two, The Mighty Orbots and 2 Stupid Dogs, have already been released this year).

I too hope that Scooby-Doo will get his due on Blu-Ray in time for his 50th! And hopefully if so, it will be done off of the original as-aired (35mm) elements rather than from the syndicated prints... I am hoping the Blu-Ray prints will give us the original main and end titles for...
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (original 1969-70 version; I am hoping for not just the original instrumental main and end title themes heard on the first few season 1 episodes, but also the laugh tracks)
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
(1978 version, also known as season 3 of The Scooby-Doo Show)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (1979-80, with original end titles)
The (All-New) Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show (1980, a title used for just 5 weeks before becoming part of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show)

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I really hope Warner Archive is not done releasing Hanna-Barbera stuff on standard DVD (not Blu-Ray)... I mean, I'd like to know if any of their last two quarterly earnings reports for 2018 might include projects that are both finished and ongoing, which would help shine a light for us on what they're working on.

~Ben

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would not get your hopes up at this point. The last three years have been sparse on new releases and I think the H-B releases are pretty much done.
Yeah I hate to say it as a long time supporter and believer but I think they are done with HB. No classic 60's 70's HB releases since late 2016. I didn't buy any animated release from them in 2018 except for Popeye.
I could see them doing the original 2-3 years of Scooby doo's, The original 6 seasons of the Flintstones and the original season of the Jetsons all on Blu Ray but that will take them years so I don't see anything new there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks