1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Scooby turns 50 this September, I'm sure WB has tons of Scooby 50th stuff coming out in these next 8 months, including collector's blu-ray's and bargain bin edition DVD's of probably what's already been released along side whatever episodes haven't been released yet.

Darby67, Bryan^H and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  2. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    I'd like to see WB take another shot a clearing the remaining episodes of New Scooby Doo Movies

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Damn! Jana of the Jungle shall remain as poor quality VHS to DVD-R rips it seems:(

4. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    I think we will see more HB releases. They are taking their sweet time though getting them out. All animation that is restored or worked on can be sold not only in a disc format but also any other physical or digital EST or Rental stream service as well. The HB releases have been good sellers so I would expect to see more. Hoping....

5. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

I'm hoping for the Plastic Man Family cartoons(the ones featuring Plastic Baby) to come out. I have heard that the HB cartoons are best sellers, so I hope more will come out.

James

Towergrove and Sean Thompson like this.
  6. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    Same here. I’ve noticed their Boomerang service has the complete Laff-a-lympics I wish we get a physical release featuring those episodes that were not available on DVD. And all in one collection.

JoeDoakes and Darby67 like this.
  7. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    With The Scooby-Doo Movies, the remaining unreleased episodes fall on the celeb's estates clearing the licenses for their image to be available on home video and WB probably doesn't want to pay the fee for that to happen.

8. JoeDoakes

Ray
    My guess is that they spent a lot redoing 60s shows like Peter Potomus, Atom Ant, and Secret Squirrel and had dissapointing results. I don’t think they were shown much between 1970 and 1985 or later. I bought them having never seen them previously, but I imagine many passed. Hopefully we’ll see more HB soon though. They show think about licensing some of their library.

Towergrove and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  9. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I personally didn't see those H-B series that you mentioned until I got some H-B compilation videos back in the early 90's and then watched them on Cartoon Network. I think after 1969 all of the H-B series that weren't on Saturday morning's entered syndication and so they were available if any stations wanted to run them. Since WB owns H-B they only seem interested in the series which will bring in the big bucks. Shout Factory would be the best company to license a good portion of H-B's massive library, as they'll take the time to restore the series to the best they can.

10. Message #3810 of 4540 Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Peter Potamus, Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel along with Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Magilla Gorilla, Wally Gator The Flintstones, and The Jetsons were standards for syndication reruns all through the 70's and early 80's were I grew up in southern cal. They were shown every weekday before and after school. There were others that they rotated but those above were almost always on and thus considered big HB titles. Many of the cartoons in Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel were also used in the Banana Splits hour. I'm not sure how much they were shown in the late 80's and 90's as I was not watching any cartoon reruns then but they were shown on cartoon network and boomerang since early 2000. So I'm sure most cartoon fans were very aware of these. I am not sure about Peter Potamus but I know they mentioned Secret Squirrel and Atom Ant sold well in a podcast. I think the lack of sales is from the more obscure late 70's and 80's shows that many HB collectors like myself have no interest in. I think they started to think that any HB title would sell and just started releasing random shows that needed the least amount of work. Now they are rethinking animation as it hasn't been selling. According to them none of the animation titles of the past 2 years have sold well. So the recent Popeye blu ray is being used to measure any possible future releases .

Darby67, Greg Chenoweth and JoeDoakes like this.
  11. JoeDoakes

Ray
    I of course saw Jetsons and Flintstones, and I would occasionally see Yogi Bear and later Scooby Doo in syndication, but I don't recall ever seeing any other HB shows outside of Saturday morning. The older syndicated kids oriented shows I saw seemed limited to Looney Tunes, Popeye, Three Stooges, Bullwinkle, '67 Spiderman, Underdog, Pufnstuf, Mission Magic, Lidsville.

Greg Chenoweth likes this.
  12. Message #3812 of 4540 Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I first saw Scooby, The Flintstones, and The Jetsons on TNT and TBS before they moved to Cartoon Network, The older shows such as Snooper and Blabber Mouse, Ricochet Rabbit, and Shake, Rattle, and Roll I didn't see them until those H-B compilation videos.

As for Looney Tunes I saw them originally on Nickelodeon along side with Bullwinkle's Moose-O-Rama before they then move to Cartoon Network as well.

Popeye I first saw on a VHS with a bunch of other public domain cartoons.

Underdog was Cartoon Network. H.R. Pufnstuf was on TV Land.

The Three Stooges, Spiderman 67, and Lidsville are more recent, as I didn't see those cartoons while I was growing up in the 90's. As for Mission Magic, never heard of it.

13. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I suppose it depends where you lived, as not all syndicated shows were carried everywhere.

The Flintstones has been a staple of TV reruns since day one. The Jetsons used to air in reruns Saturday mornings on NBC, and was simultaneously in syndication.

Wally/Lippy/Touche ran in Chicago for a while in the 1960s, but not locally since then. I encountered them on cable and home video.

Magilla Gorilla, Peter Potamus and their assorted characters aired as one show in Chicago (circa 1970-1982) under the Magilla Gorilla title.

Hillbilly Bears appeared again on the Banana Splits Saturday morning show during its second season. It and the other cartoons from the Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel shows were syndicated along with the Banana Splits. Later (1980s) we had a station that picked up Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel separately, but (possibly by mistake?) the film prints they were sent were the "Banana Splits And Friends" versions. Initially, they made their own show opening on video and ran the cartoons minus the Splits intros, and later ran them under the Banana Splits title for a while, even though the only shows they had were the Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel ones.

Huck, Yogi, QDM and their related characters were staples on Chicago TV until about 1982.

JayHink likes this.
  14. JayHink

JayHink Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    I was born in '76, so I saw most 80s fare during their first runs, but most of H-B's (& others') 60s & 70s shows I first saw on USA Cartoon Express.

15. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    Same with me, although I was born 5 years later...

~Ben

JayHink likes this.
  16. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I was born in 1975. I first saw these on weekday mornings when I was a baby. I watched The Flintstones Prime Time Specials in first run. I also watched the holiday Specials first run. But for me, it was always about The Flintstones. The original series deserves a blu-ray release.

JayHink and Sean Thompson like this.
  17. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    I thought they said Porky Pig did well? I dont think they mentioned HB doing poorly if memory serves. But over the past few years they have released very little so how can they say it's not selling if the haven released any???

18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Porky didn't do as well as they expected from what I heard which is why the pressure is on for Popeye to sell. The past 2 years have seen very few releases except for some 80's and 90's shows. I believe these are the ones they are referring to as not selling recently: The Mighty Orbots, The Bisketts, 2 Stupid Dogs, Dink the Little Dinosaur, Moonchichis. I passed on all of those.

19. Message #3819 of 4540 Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    I will definitely get the Blu-Ray edition of Jonny Quest and other H-B shows (those to be released) on DVD on whenever dates WAC releases them...

It would seem like it's the end of an era for us cartoon fans, a sad day if you will, that a lot of us: a) chose not to buy them out of the fact they didn't appeal to us or, b) if we were fans of the show, we could not afford to buy them the first day they came out on DVD. You have the feeling that DVDs like these are selling well - but not that well. If that's true, that is a big ouch there! And I will definitely do as I said above.

I do remember having bought both Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels and The Kwicky Koala Show on the respective first days of their release.

And speaking of those recent DVD releases that failed... which one was the best selling in this crop? I'd like to say it was either Monchhichis or The Biskitts.

~Ben

Sean Thompson likes this.
  20. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    It seems like nothing new is coming out. I haven't been to this site in a while. With all the old shows on tv I still think DVD's have real appeal. If you have become accustomed to owning these shows it is so intolerable to watch them edited and commercials thrown in. If I am watching tv and a show I own is about to go on I switch to DVD. Plus with all the streaming I think some people still like to have a tangible set in their hands.