What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (5 Viewers)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I asked the WA boys at Facebook about what H-B title they might have as the last such release this year, but they deleted it... I am guessing they did so based on the fact too many H-B fans (such as Jim Palmer and Rick Cagle) have been asking similar questions about it.

That being said, I still pray The New Fred and Barney Show will be out by December or early in 2019 (let's hope they didn't run into any mastering problems). Please remain patient!

~Ben

The HB situation has been bad for about two years now. I think the last title I bought was Peter Potomus. I haven't picked it up yet, but last year's Porky Pig set was the only animated titel that I can recall of interest to me. There are still a lot of good titles that could come out. I would think something like Yogi's Treasure Hunt would be easy. I hope they resume releasing classic HB like they used to.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The HB situation has been bad for about two years now. I think the last title I bought was Peter Potomus. I haven't picked it up yet, but last year's Porky Pig set was the only animated titel that I can recall of interest to me. There are still a lot of good titles that could come out. I would think something like Yogi's Treasure Hunt would be easy. I hope they resume releasing classic HB like they used to.
I too hope Yogi's Treasure Hunt will come out on DVD eventually. That, and Yogi's Space Race (the complete 90-minute/1-hour series also with Galaxy Goof-Ups, The Buford Files and The Galloping Ghost).

I wish they would come up with a system that allows us to choose up to three titles we wish we could have them work on and be released. An asterisk (*) will be placed after those titles that I most want on DVD.

My 2019 H-B hopefuls:
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968-69)
The Cattanooga Cats (1969-70; the complete 1-hour series)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS, 1972-73)
These are the Days (1974-75)
The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
Skatebirds (1977; the complete 1-hour series also with Mystery Island, The Robonic Stooges, Wonder Wheels, and reruns of Clue Club edited as Woofer and Whimper: Dog Detectives) *
C.B. Bears (1977; the complete 1-hour series also with Posse Impossible, Blast-Off Buzzard, Heyyy, It's the King!, Shake, Rattle & Roll, and Undercover Elephant) *
Jana of the Jungle (1978) *
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC, 1980-81; the complete 90-minute/1-hour series)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Wildfire (1986)
Fish Police (1992)

And we want, on Blu-Ray:
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (1969-70)
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (1976)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (1979-80)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo: The Shorts (1980-82)

~Ben

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My 2019 H-B hopefuls:
~Ben
Of the shows, you mentioned, I edited it to exclude all but my favorites, along with something like Quick Draw, which I know has music issues. A lot of people mention Yogi's Space Race, but a 90 minute show with various segments, bumpers, and some previously released material, seems harder to assemble than a 30 minute show with a common theme. My kids liked Yogi's Ark, and I think Yogi's Treasure Hunt would be a good follow up to that. As for Dynomutt, I would be happy with just the four unreleased episodes from Season 2. I don't understand why that couldn't be done as a MOD. All and all, it's kind of concerning what's happening at Warner Archive.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would come up with a system that allows us to choose up to three titles we wish we could have them work on and be released. An asterisk (*) will be placed after those titles that I most want on DVD.

My 2019 H-B hopefuls:
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS, 1972-73)
These are the Days (1974-75)
Skatebirds (1977; the complete 1-hour series also with Mystery Island, The Robonic Stooges, Wonder Wheels, and reruns of Clue Club edited as Woofer and Whimper: Dog Detectives) *
C.B. Bears (1977; the complete 1-hour series also with Posse Impossible, Blast-Off Buzzard, Heyyy, It's the King!, Shake, Rattle & Roll, and Undercover Elephant) *
Jana of the Jungle (1978) *
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC, 1980-81; the complete 90-minute/1-hour series)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Wildfire (1986)
Fish Police (1992)

And we want, on Blu-Ray:
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (1969-70)
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (1976)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (1979-80)
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo: The Shorts (1980-82)

~Ben[/QUOTE]

Hmm! How about
Wait Till Your Father Comes Home season 2
Mr. T season 2

and from Ruby Spears
Goldie Gold
Fangface
Plastic Man Family

James

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
whats the point to issue some shows if the recently already existed has bad and terrible remastering (like on Captain caveman or Funky Phantom). I wish they could remain the original levels inside the series and didnt touch it and made it too sharp and noisy!!!! its a shame for such company like WB to do this kind of sound editing

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
whats the point to issue some shows if the recently already existed has bad and terrible remastering (like on Captain caveman or Funky Phantom). I wish they could remain the original levels inside the series and didnt touch it and made it too sharp and noisy!!!! its a shame for such company like WB to do this kind of sound editing
I agree with you on some of these views. I still believe that the appropriate number of discs should be used depending on the overall length of the episodes.

For example, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, as we both previously discussed, should have been issued on three discs (there were 40 total segments across 20 half-hour episodes), which would help address at least some of the sound issues you're referring to. It is true that both picture and sound quality will drop the more episodes you try to fit onto a single DVD.

If both C.B. Bears and Skatebirds ever come out on DVD in their original hour-long forms, they would be about 46 minutes w/o commercials. Optimally, about four or five such episodes of this length will fit comfortably on a single DVD. The reason I hope these two will come out soon on DVD, is because I remember watching them on Cartoon Network's '70s Super Explosion block in 1995-96, along with The Roman Holidays, Wait 'til Your Father Gets Home, Inch High, Private Eye, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, and The Super Globetrotters.

~Ben

Last edited:

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
I want laurel and hardy / abbott and costello so much!!!!!!
also Sinbad Jr and his magic belt!! would be amazing to see on DVD!

and I still hope to se ever released the english version of Amigo and Friends shorts!!! they are already released as spanish under the different name!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I want laurel and hardy / abbott and costello so much!!!!!!
also Sinbad Jr and his magic belt!! would be amazing to see on DVD!

and I still hope to se ever released the english version of Amigo and Friends shorts!!! they are already released as spanish under the different name!
The laurel and hardy and abbott and Costello shows should definitely come out. Relatively speaking, I think they'd sell.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
The laurel and hardy and abbott and Costello shows should definitely come out. Relatively speaking, I think they'd sell.
I want the Abbott & Costello and Sinbad Jr released so bad. Those two were always paired on TBS when I was growing up. I especially want A&C released.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm Pretty sure Warner said they don't have the rights to the Laurel and Hardy cartoon but they do have Abbott and Costello. They are probably in need of remastering like most of the 60's and 70's shows we are still waiting for. They just don't seem to be moving forward on any of these the past year and half. The last classic HB release we got was Peter Potamus which was 2 years ago.They only seem to want to release newer shows from the 80's or 90's now. Probably because they need very little remastering.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'm Pretty sure Warner said they don't have the rights to the Laurel and Hardy cartoon but they do have Abbott and Costello. They are probably in need of remastering like most of the 60's and 70's shows we are still waiting for. They just don't seem to be moving forward on any of these the past year and half. The last classic HB release we got was Peter Potamus which was 2 years ago.They only seem to want to release newer shows from the 80's or 90's now. Probably because they need very little remastering.
Randy,

Of those you mention, I'm most interested in:
The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC, 1980-81; aka The Flintstone Funnies and The Flintstone Frolics)
Trollkins (1981)
Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-88)
The New Yogi Bear Show (1988)
Fish Police (1992)
The (New) Addams Family (1992-93)

Ruby-Spears:
Goldie Gold and Action Jack (1981)
Turbo Teen (1984)
Police Academy: The (Animated) Series: Volume II (1988-89)

Though I am sure they will resume work on the '60s-'70s stuff once they get some of these out of the way.

~Ben

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Which raises the question of why they don't release Yogi's Treasure Hunt. It even has Dick Dastardly and Muttley in it. Could please everyone.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Which raises the question of why they don't release Yogi's Treasure Hunt. It even has Dick Dastardly and Muttley in it. Could please everyone.
They were releasing Yogi in order and are still stalled on Yogi's Space Race complete show which also has everyone. They reported working on it two years ago but nothing since then.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
They were releasing Yogi in order and are still stalled on Yogi's Space Race complete show which also has everyone. They reported working on it two years ago but nothing since then.
They probably stalled because they ran into trouble with certain segments associated with the series (such as discolored masters due to improper storage). Or just so many rumors.

Honestly, they wouldn't have worked on it if they didn't think they planned to get it out. I also am worried that the merger between Time Warner and AT&T into WarnerMedia might also have played a part in not releasing certain DVDs. At this point, I am seriously thinking they should ink a deal with Kino Lorber to sublicense some of these lesser titles (like what CBS Home Entertainment had done with VEI and other smaller DVD distributors).

We can do our part, at least, to support the brand by buying what H-B titles on DVD they do have released.

~Ben

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I understand, but that probably isn't realistic in the current environment. They spent a lot of effort on Space Stars, and that probably wasn't a big seller for them, so I bet they are reluctant to do another lengthy show.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I understand, but that probably isn't realistic in the current environment. They spent a lot of effort on Space Stars, and that probably wasn't a big seller for them, so I bet they are reluctant to do another lengthy show.
Maybe when they run out of decent 1/2-hour programs to release, might they resume work on Yogi's Space Race and other 1-hour or longer shows...

~Ben

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think that is the real problem. Unfortunately none of the unreleased shows are realistic in the current environment. The 80's and 90's shows are nowhere near as popular but don't need as much work but in the current environment are not selling that well. The 60's and 70's shows sell better but also need more work. That's why we are not seeing hardly anything. I have regretted the few post 1981 80's shows I have bought and will pass on any future ones. Any 90's HB is not even a consideration for me, just an instant pass. The 80's and 90's stuff is just too juvenile and lower budget to me. Far past their golden age.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I believe Warner ended up with the Abbott & Costello cartoons because they had been produced in association with RKO.

Larry Harmon Pictures Corporation owns, or owned, the Laurel and Hardy cartoons. There was a series of tapes released near the dawn of home video (Wikipedia says there were two volumes but the promo at the end of the tapes says there were six, and even lists the titles on each volume).

DVDs of the cartoons were released in France in 2012. They show up on eBay. I am not sure of their content, completeness, etc. I seem to recall that some, but not all, had English audio, but with French subtitles. Can anyone confirm?

Speaking of Larry Harmon's company, Wikipedia refers to it in the past tense and their website is an expired domain. I know Harmon himself passed away ten years ago, but I thought his company was still active. I wonder what that means for their library of shows and cartoons, elements, etc.

(EDIT: I found this:
http://www.laurelandhardy.com/about-us.php)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks