What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I had the same problem. They are broken up as individual shorts and mixed in with Yogi Bear. The ones that are over 8 minutes are the ones from The New Yogi Bear show. The one thing I don't like about Boomerang streaming is that they break up multi cartoon shows and put them all together by character like they were theatrical shorts. I'm ok with this as long as they offer the original show as well but unfortunately they don't. I pointed all this out in one of their surveys 8 months ago but so far they haven't listened.

The 1988 cartoons were shown alongside the original Yogi Bear cartoons (from both the Yogi and Huck shows) as well as Yogi's Gang and Galaxy Goof-Ups. Each show had a standard show opening (a new recording of the 1961 Yogi theme) but depending on what was in that particular half-hour, they either had the 1961 Yogi closing (for the 1958-62 cartoons), a new 1988 closing (for the new shorts), or the original closings for Yogi's Gang or Galaxy Goof-Ups. The overall show was called "Hanna-Barbera's Yogi Bear Show" (according to the show opening).

"Yogi's Birthday Party" had the original closing, with the Screen Gems name in it, the first time they showed it. But the show itself was severely edited, filling two spots in the half-hour plus a short cartoon.

Now, here is where it gets weird: I saw the show on WGN in Chicago, and about six months into the run, there was a major re-formatting of the series. Yogi's Gang and Galaxy Goof-Ups were dropped, and the middle cartoon featured other Hanna-Barbera characters (prior to this, it was all Yogi only). But the other cartoons from the Huck and Yogi shows were still running on USA Network, so other vintage H-B cartoons were shown:

Monday: Yippee, Yappee & Yahooey
Tuesday: Precious Pupp
Wednesday: Snooper & Blabber
Thursday: Secret Squirrel
Friday: Ricochet Rabbit

This format change happened before they had even finished running through all the shows. Then some time later, they replaced Precious Pupp with Punkin Puss, and Secret Squirrel with Augie Doggie.

So to release this series "as originally aired" would be pretty impractical, not to mention crazy.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
We really need WB to release a few more HB classic series. It may be the only way to save our sanity.

James
As far as I know, still forthcoming (that which is not a Blu-Ray title) is The New Fred and Barney Show, but I agree with you they should release more such titles in the future, like:
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Cattanooga Cats (1-hour version, 1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972)
These Are the Days (1974-1975)
The Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
C.B. Bears (1-hour version, 1977)
Skatebirds (1-hour version, 1977)
Yogi's Space Race (1-hour version, 1978)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC) (1980-1981)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)
Paw Paws (1985-1986)
Wildfire (1986)
Foofur (1986-1987)
The Adventures of Don Coyote and Sancho Panda (1990)
Fish Police (1992)

Ruby-Spears:
Fangface (1978-1979)
Mighty Man and Yukk! (1979)
Rickety Rocket (1979)
The Plastic Man/Baby Plas Super Comedy Show (1980-1981)
Goldie Gold and Action Jack (1981)
Turbo Teen (1984)

~Ben

Last edited:

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I had the same problem. They are broken up as individual shorts and mixed in with Yogi Bear. The ones that are over 8 minutes are the ones from The New Yogi Bear show. The one thing I don't like about Boomerang streaming is that they break up multi cartoon shows and put them all together by character like they were theatrical shorts. I'm ok with this as long as they offer the original show as well but unfortunately they don't. I pointed all this out in one of their surveys 8 months ago but so far they haven't listened.
Thanks. Im wondering if Im missing some of the Looney Toons as well that are not on dvd possibly mixed in with the individual character listing on Boomerang?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, still forthcoming (that which is not a Blu-Ray title) is The New Fred and Barney Show, but I agree with you they should release more such titles in the future, like:
The Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
The Cattanooga Cats (1-hour version, 1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (CBS) (1972)
These Are the Days (1974-1975)
The Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show (1975)
The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
C.B. Bears (1-hour version, 1977)
Skatebirds (1-hour version, 1977)
Yogi's Space Race (1-hour version, 1978)
Jana of the Jungle (1978)
The New Shmoo (1979)
The Flintstone Comedy Show (NBC) (1980-1981)
Trollkins (1981)
The Gary Coleman Show (1982)

~Ben

Don't forget the mid eighties, Wildfire.

James

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. Im wondering if Im missing some of the Looney Toons as well that are not on dvd possibly mixed in with the individual character listing on Boomerang?
I haven't really looked too close at their Looney Toons collections yet. But yeah they are mixed too and there could be some not released on DVD. They also have all the spin off Saturday morning shows in their like Baby Looney Toons.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The 1988 cartoons were shown alongside the original Yogi Bear cartoons (from both the Yogi and Huck shows) as well as Yogi's Gang and Galaxy Goof-Ups. Each show had a standard show opening (a new recording of the 1961 Yogi theme) but depending on what was in that particular half-hour, they either had the 1961 Yogi closing (for the 1958-62 cartoons), a new 1988 closing (for the new shorts), or the original closings for Yogi's Gang or Galaxy Goof-Ups. The overall show was called "Hanna-Barbera's Yogi Bear Show" (according to the show opening).

"Yogi's Birthday Party" had the original closing, with the Screen Gems name in it, the first time they showed it. But the show itself was severely edited, filling two spots in the half-hour plus a short cartoon.

Now, here is where it gets weird: I saw the show on WGN in Chicago, and about six months into the run, there was a major re-formatting of the series. Yogi's Gang and Galaxy Goof-Ups were dropped, and the middle cartoon featured other Hanna-Barbera characters (prior to this, it was all Yogi only). But the other cartoons from the Huck and Yogi shows were still running on USA Network, so other vintage H-B cartoons were shown:

Monday: Yippee, Yappee & Yahooey
Tuesday: Precious Pupp
Wednesday: Snooper & Blabber
Thursday: Secret Squirrel
Friday: Ricochet Rabbit

This format change happened before they had even finished running through all the shows. Then some time later, they replaced Precious Pupp with Punkin Puss, and Secret Squirrel with Augie Doggie.

So to release this series "as originally aired" would be pretty impractical, not to mention crazy.
Good info. My point on Boomerang streaming is they do this with every multi cartoon show. They have all the Atom Ant cartoons by themselves, Magilla Gorilla, They broke the Richie Rich cartoons away from the Scooby/ Scappy Doo and both are individual cartoons in their own area, Many of these were already released as complete shows on DVD so it would not be hard for them to include the original shows. Personally I find it tedious to watch more than 3 in a row of these cartoons from the same character so I don't get the purpose. I really doubt they have many people binge watching 22 Atom Ant cartoons in a row.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Good info. My point on Boomerang streaming is they do this with every multi cartoon show. They have all the Atom Ant cartoons by themselves, Magilla Gorilla, They broke the Richie Rich cartoons away from the Scooby/ Scappy Doo and both are individual cartoons in their own area, Many of these were already released as complete shows on DVD so it would not be hard for them to include the original shows. Personally I find it tedious to watch more than 3 in a row of these cartoons from the same character so I don't get the purpose. I really doubt they have many people binge watching 22 Atom Ant cartoons in a row.
It would be nice if you could set up a regular schedule that automatically updated. Like set up your own Saturday morning block of shows and every new Saturday (or whatever) the next episode of whatever shows were in your block would be shown. I would prefer that to watching off DVDs or selecting streaming episodes every time as you could get variety without having to constantly do something.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if you could set up a regular schedule that automatically updated. Like set up your own Saturday morning block of shows and every new Saturday (or whatever) the next episode of whatever shows were in your block would be shown. I would prefer that to watching off DVDs or selecting streaming episodes every time as you could get variety without having to constantly do something.
Yes that would be a great feature. I am hoping they will improve the format. Right now I am not sure if I will renew my subscription when it is due next February without some changes being made.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

This is what really disappointed me when I first got Cartoon Network. I would see the schedules in TV Guide and think, "great, they are running the Huckleberry Hound show!" And then to find out it wasn't the Huckleberry Hound show at all, but instead four Huck cartoons, or maybe three Hucks and a Quick Draw (who wasn't even on the Huckleberry Hound show). Even for Atom Ant, sometimes they ran three Atom Ant cartoons and one with the Hillbilly Bears.

They still don't get it.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I’ve been going through trying to replace all my sets that have flipper discs. I’m almost done with the HB titles that I can, but does anyone know if the Warner combo of Filmations New Adventures of Batman/ new Adventures of Superman DVD released earlier this year removes the flipper for the Batman episodes. I haven’t been able to find a place that says how many discs?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I’ve been going through trying to replace all my sets that have flipper discs. I’m almost done with the HB titles that I can, but does anyone know if the Warner combo of Filmations New Adventures of Batman/ new Adventures of Superman DVD released earlier this year removes the flipper for the Batman episodes. I haven’t been able to find a place that says how many discs?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but thanks for the info -- I wasn't even aware that this had come out. It's all stuff they released before, right? (i.e. no Superboy?)

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'm surprised that I remember this but whatever happened to Warner Brothers plans to release Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? on Blu-ray? It's been such a long time that Warner Brothers announced its interest in releasing that classic series on Blu-ray at the same time they announced interest in releasing the original V mini series and V: The Final Battle. Let me guess, they decided against it?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'm surprised that I remember this but whatever happened to Warner Brothers plans to release Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? on Blu-ray? It's been such a long time that Warner Brothers announced its interest in releasing that classic series on Blu-ray at the same time they announced interest in releasing the original V mini series and V: The Final Battle. Let me guess, they decided against it?
I still hope they will... and I recently brought that up in light of the complete Jonny Quest series coming out on the advanced medium. Go here to this thread to see that.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/jonny-quest-the-original-series.314961/page-5

~Ben

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Are there any technical barriers to releasing Scooby-Doo Where Are You in bluray? For example, was it edited on ntsc video tape?

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Are there any technical barriers to releasing Scooby-Doo Where Are You in bluray? For example, was it edited on ntsc video tape?
I believe nearly all the episodes of Scooby Doo Where are You are in HD on Boomerangs streaming service and they look pretty good. I think Warner has the episodes ready they just need to stop delaying and release it on blu.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
All I can say is they are possibly still looking for the original 35mm release prints.

~Ben

If they do, it would be really nice -- not that I expect them to do it -- but it would be cool to have the original commercial bumpers, even if they are just on there as extras. It's so long ago though, the only one I remember had Shaggy taking a picture with a camera, and the flash going off towards us. That's not on the current DVDs, is It?

I know Wacky Races had a bumper as an "Easter egg," from some lesser quality source. I don't remember just HOW MUCH lesser it was, though. 16mm or maybe even VHS?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks