1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    These are the Hanna Barbera cartoons I have on DVD;

Flintstones complete series
    Jetsons season 1 only
    Top Cat
    Jonny Quest
    Josie & The Pussycats
    Pebbles & Bamm Bamm Show
    Hair Bear Bunch
    Josie & The Pussycats In Outer Space
    Wait Till Your Father Gets Home- episodes 1-24
    Clue Club

Aside from wanting the rest of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home released on DVD, I don't think I'm interested in anything else. I've never cared for Scooby Doo and don't like that cartoon. Most of Hanna Barbera's 1970's output doesn't interest me either. Some of their 60's shows like Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, and several others, these shows are OK but I don't think I want to have them on DVD. I thought about getting Wacky Races on DVD when it came out but decided not to.

One cool thing I have from Hanna Barbera is a complete collection of those cartoon LP's that were issued during 1965/1966. I have all of them, there are 38 records in the collection, first one is numbered 2020 and the last one is numbered 2057. All of them are in near mint condition. I wonder what the current value of this collection would be?

Greg Chenoweth likes this.
  2. albert_m2

albert_m2 Second Unit

Albert
    Since only serious fans will buy blu ray of these shows, even Scooby Doo, I just wish that they would release a collection of all Scooby Doo episodes on blu from 1969 through 1980.. the last season to remotely fit with the original show.

Yes, I get that the same movies won't be included due to rights, but release what they can and skip Dynomutt. I didn't watch it as a kid and it's silly to have them paired.

3. Message #3783 of 3922 Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    I still thank WAC for releasing both The Biskitts and 2 Stupid Dogs last year...

~Ben

Towergrove likes this.
  4. Message #3784 of 3922 Jan 4, 2019
    JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Guys, there may be a slowdown and WB Archives has limited resources. They try to spread everything around a bit. Look at it this way. films from the thirties and forties are being released, a few at a time. HB may be the same way. Again, it's a massive slowdown, but something will get out.

james

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  5. Message #3785 of 3922 Jan 4, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    James,

I have to agree with your point of view... they may not be doing this as much as they had been, say, 10 years ago or even 5 years ago, but still something of that line will be released eventually.

~Ben

Sean Thompson likes this.
  6. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

I wonder. Jerry Beck, animation historian, has discussed that Warner Archive is skeptical about releasing older animation titles because they are not selling. Jerry was requesting people to support the latest Popeye release that Warner Archive did with fourteen cartoons on DVD and Blu-ray. It was released just last month. He said that if Warner Archive did not see the sales for it then we will not be seeing older animation on home video for a while.
    I have been wondering how sales went for PETER POTAMUS from a couple of years ago. I am wondering if the sales were not good on that release either and, thus, we are not seeing any older H-B titles now. I have no firm data on any of this, just my speculation. This is why I am skeptical that we will be seeing some H-B releases this year. I hope I'm wrong but sales figures are saying otherwise.

7. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I would probably buy These Are The Days if that series was released on DVD. I'm sort of interested to see that one.

ClassicTVMan1981X and JamesSmith like this.
  8. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Valid points. But I'm still WB Archives will try to get something out when they can. If we have to use the same argument on declining sales, than we have to use it for the older films whose audience I'm sure is not as big as what's currently popular demographically

James

9. Message #3789 of 3922 Jan 4, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I hope that if any further classic animation releases come out (H-B-related or otherwise), that I will be amongst those to buy them the same day they are released. The reason I say this is because I've read on another DVD-related forum that buying a title on DVD the first day that it's out would count as a "vote" to encourage further releases of related items. As to all the ongoing projects, I would be among those to give WAC the benefit of the doubt.

I do continue wishing WAC the best of luck in this!

~Ben

10. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

Last year on WAC was mostly void of any animation releases. It seemed like there used to be a new animation release every month, whether it was H-B or not, but in 2018 even that didn't happen. I was shocked when in the fall they put out a double feature Blu-ray release of BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM and BATMAN: SUBZERO. WAC had released both of them individually the last couple of years and now they were being packaged together in one set. To me it was a step backwards in seeing brand new releases. I was glad POPEYE came out at the end of the year but I am hoping to see "NEW-TO-DVD" or "NEW-TO-BLURAY" releases this year at least.

11. Message #3791 of 3922 Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I'd be lucky if even just one Hanna-Barbera-related title comes out this year... but if you think sales of animation on DVD are bad, I don't think digital download sales are much better, either, because of at least one thing: the paywall.

I am not expecting every single title to come out on DVD, but still I hope they will release something in the H-B library this year...

~Ben

12. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

That would be a shame, because they did such a beautiful job on Peter Potamus -- far better than its more well-known sister (brother?) show, Magilla Gorilla.

Potamus, Huckleberry Finn, Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel are the last H-B shows I bought. All stellar, apart from a couple minor goofs like the wrong end music used on most of the Secret Squirrel cartoons. The quality on all of them was great and they were beautifully done.

It's insane to think that we're 17 or so years into Hanna-Barbera on DVD and they haven't finished Huckleberry Hound, only released a small section of Quick Draw McGraw (those with "clearable" music) and nothing at all of Ruff & Reddy. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Besides the above, I personally am still waiting for Wally Gator and company, the 1972 Flintstone Comedy Hour, and my personal "holy grail," the Banana Splits.

I'm in for any 1960s stuff they release. I also want the Fred & Barney show.

13. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    Yes, I just bought The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn last December. And I did so directly from the source, so that all the money goes to them instead of part of it going to Amazon.

In addition to The New Fred & Barney Show (1979), I would be up for buying the other forthcoming title: Jonny Quest (the complete original series, 1964-65 & 1986), which will be on Blu-Ray.

~Ben

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The reason Dynomut was released with Scooby Doo is because that is what the show was. It was originally released as The Scooby Doo/Dynomut Hour. Its always great when they release the original show. It would be silly to not release it on Blu-Ray that way when it is already available and the complete show is what serious fans and collectors want.

Sean Thompson and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  15. Message #3795 of 3922 Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    But... I would prefer the Blu-Ray version have the original single opening and closing credit themes (and possibly any teasers explaining the plot of the week's episodes), too, before it can come out. Here's the original segmental intertitle for Dynomutt (as seen on a USA Network Cartoon Express rerun) that was missing from the 2006 DVD release:

(there may have been a short teaser for this immediately after the end of the final act of The Scooby-Doo Show on the original ABC Saturday morning run)

In addition, if an expansive Scooby Blu-Ray comes out at all, besides wanting to see the original closing credits for Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (using the model sheet background), I would also like to see the 1980-81 season of the series in question (when it became just Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy and 3 episodes per week) with its original specific end titles.

~Ben

16. albert_m2

albert_m2 Second Unit

Albert
    I get that, but they have released Scooby Doo in a multitude of ways and for years in syndication, those episodes aired along with the other 70s episodes.

Greg Chenoweth likes this.
  17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I never saw them syndicated so I only saw the original. But releasing them on discs targets collectors and most want the original version as much as possible.

18. albert_m2

albert_m2 Second Unit

Albert
    I think that you're missing my point. Some of us - Scooby Doo fans that is, want Scooby Doo episodes.

I have 0% interest in non Scooby shows included on discs of HB's biggest brand - especially when you consider they have released countless sets of episodes of different Scooby shows.

Fine if they release like they did, but also release Scooby only sets and in particular a complete set of the original era.

19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I get that you only want the Scooby Doo episodes but they are still included in the complete show so releasing that allows everyone to get what they want. You can always skip the dynomutt episodes if you don't want to watch them. What you are suggesting means collectors cannot have the complete shows and they will lose sales. I for one would not buy it on blu ray if they did not release the original show especially when its available. It would also be nice if they went back and added connecting pieces and credits that were missing as Ben suggested. We will be lucky to get one release for that show on blu ray they definitely will not do 2 releases.

20. albert_m2

albert_m2 Second Unit

Albert
    What I don't follow is that it's not a letdown to Scooby Doo fans to have a complete (minus the movies that they don't have the rights to do) set of Scooby Doo episodes from the 70s era in one set.