What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I thought we would have seen Jana Of The Jungle by now. I thought it was hinted at by WB.
I wonder what the hold up is?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps we should some of the Ruby Spears cartoons that WB Archives can put out. Shows like Fangface, the Plastic Family and others.

As to what Bryan said, did any of us say anything mean to the WB Archives people?
James

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I thought we would have seen Jana Of The Jungle by now. I thought it was hinted at by WB.
I wonder what the hold up is?
I probably still believe they're trying to figure out how much their budget's going to be this year before they start working on anything new. Just my two cents. But please remain patient and in the meantime, enjoy the re-release of Wacky Races!

Believe me: I even found out WAC still intends to release all-new H-B DVDs... they just don't know what and when at this time, that's all.

~Ben

Last edited:

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
@streeter

that list is faulty,
unless you don't mean that to be a H-B exclusive list?

for example: Rubik The Amazing Cube = not a H-B show

Cave Kids has a H-B copyright on it because the characters are of H-B property, the actual show itself however is NOT H-B made.

also, what's the issues with Foofur?
why wouldn't they be able to release this?

PS: The Little Rascals animated can not be released either.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I've managed to acquire all the HB series I want. Nearly 2/5of them are via "other means" I LOATHE getting sets via this means. I don't know what's worse, using this method of getting what you want, or the studios refusing to making shows such as this one available via legitimate means.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
@streeter

that list is faulty,
unless you don't mean that to be a H-B exclusive list?

for example: Rubik The Amazing Cube = not a H-B show

Cave Kids has a H-B copyright on it because the characters are of H-B property, the actual show itself however is NOT H-B made.

also, what's the issues with Foofur?
why wouldn't they be able to release this?

PS: The Little Rascals animated can not be released either.

Thanks! I'll modify the list and repost it at some point (especially if others have other comments).
I guess I included Rubik because it was part of the Pac-Man/Rubik hour. Also, I don't recall why some Ruby Spears shows have been released under the WA HB banner, like Chuck Norris, Mr. T, The Centurions, Dragon's Lair, and Thundarr. Maybe I need to brush up on that. Perhaps the list should include a separate section of Ruby Spears shows that could be released with the HB packaging?

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Thanks! I'll modify the list and repost it at some point (especially if others have other comments).
I guess I included Rubik because it was part of the Pac-Man/Rubik hour. Also, I don't recall why some Ruby Spears shows have been released under the WA HB banner, like Chuck Norris, Mr. T, The Centurions, Dragon's Lair, and Thundarr. Maybe I need to brush up on that. Perhaps the list should include a separate section of Ruby Spears shows that could be released with the HB packaging?
I think H-B bought out R-S at some point, so parent Warner just put them altogether under the H-B banner for release purposes.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I think H-B bought out R-S at some point, so parent Warner just put them altogether under the H-B banner for release purposes.
Both were institutionally connected when Taft bought R-S from Filmways in early 1981. That's why, starting with the 1982-83 season, some H-B and R-S shows were paired together, including The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour and (in association with Paramount Television) The Mork & Mindy/Laverne & Shirley/Fonz Hour (R-S produced the M&M segments).

~Ben

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Thats a pretty comprehensive list. Am I the only person hoping Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero gets released? Warner owns this and they have told every year that they are planning to release it....eventually. I don't think everyone had this show in their area. Philadelphia late 60's loved it.

It's been a while since I last posted the list of 'what's left' so I thought I'd update it, removing titles that have since been released. Hopefully 2017 will take a few more titles off this list.

-Ruff and Reddy (3 seasons)
-Huckleberry Hound (seasons 2-4)
-Quick Draw McGraw (3 seasons)
-Wally Gator/Touche Turtle/Lippy the Lion
-Sinbad Jr.
-Abott & Costello
-Banana Splits (2 seasons)
-Adventures of Gulliver
-Cattanooga Cats
-Harlem Globetrotters
-Wait Till Your Father Gets Home (seasons 2-3)
-These Are the Days
-New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly
-The Skatebirds
-CB Bears
-Popeye & Friends
-Yogi's Space Race
-Jana of the Jungle
-Casper and the Angels
-The New Shmoo
-Trollkins
-Little Rascals
-Puppy's Further Adventures
-The Gary Coleman Show
-Rubik the Amazing Cube
-The Biskitts
-Monchichis
-Smurfs (season 2-9)
-Paw Paws
-Yogi's Treasure Hunt
-Flintstone Kids (remaining 24 episodes)
-Popeye and Son
-Wildfire
-New Yogi Bear
-SuperTed
-Fantastic Max
-Adventures of Don Coyote and Sancho Panda
-Tom & Jerry Kids (seasons 2-4)
-Wake, Rattle, and Roll
-Rick Moranis in Gravedale High
-Midnight Patrol
-Yo Yogi!
-Young Robin Hood
-Fish Police
-Capitol Critters
-Addams Family (90s)
-Droopy, Master Detective
-Cave Kids
-2 Stupid Dogs

plus:
-the leftover Scooby Doo episodes
-the various Flintstone follow-up series (Flintstone Comedy Hour, Fred Flintstone and Friends, New Fred & Barney)
-shows WB probably can't release: Laurel & Hardy, Fantastic Four, Jeannie, Partridge Family 2200 AD, The Thing, the Fonz and the Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley/Mork & Mindy shows, Lucky Luke, Pink Panther & Sons, Berenstein Bears, Pound Puppies, Foofur, Paddington Bear, the missing Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures episodes)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thats a pretty comprehensive list. Am I the only person hoping Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero gets released? Warner owns this and they have told every year that they are planning to release it....eventually. I don't think everyone had this show in their area. Philadelphia late 60's loved it.

I think there were obviously different shows on in different parts of the country. Growing up in Southern California in the 70's I watched every animated show on TV from around 1971 -1982. We never had Marine Boy or Johnny Cipher and until this thread I had never heard of either one and still have not seen either one. From what I have seen posted neither of those shows seem to have been shown on the west coast so they must have been mainly shown on the east coast. Japanese animated shows that we had on the west coast in the 70's were Gigantor, Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion plus the non-animated Johnny Sokko.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I think there were obviously different shows on in different parts of the country. Growing up in Southern California in the 70's I watched every animated show on TV from around 1971 -1982. We never had Marine Boy or Johnny Cipher and until this thread I had never heard of either one and still have not seen either one. From what I have seen posted neither of those shows seem to have been shown on the west coast so they must have been mainly shown on the east coast. Japanese animated shows that we had on the west coast in the 70's were Gigantor, Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion plus the non-animated Johnny Sokko.

Interesting. We had a kids show wich aired from the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies called Wee Willie Weber's Colorful Cartoon Club. It had a live host, a peanut gallery and he showed all of the Japanese shows and a few others (Gigantor, Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, 8th Man, Marine Boy, Speed racer, Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero, Spider-man (not Japanese), Ultraman, etc). What was great was the Hanna-Barbara Saturday line-up you could enjoy on the weekend But during the week you had Wee Willie Webber (a joke because he was well over 6' tall) This was the Philadelphia area.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Interesting and initially priced right. But I think most of us in this thread will already have everything that is available or everything that we want. I think they will continue to make new releases available to WA first. I also don't care for the weekly rotating as it forces you to watch all the episodes of a show fast instead of at your own pace.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I wonder what impact this will have on our beloved Warner Archive releases.
It would be terrible if this was a Simpsons-like situation where DVD/blu-ray releases were deliberately stopped in order to drive people to the online portal.
Ideally, this service and WAC would complement one another and drive sales between the two, and also increase the remastering/restoration budget. The Boomerang service would also be a great way for WAC to gauge interest in lesser-known titles. And build an audience for them, too.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what impact this will have on our beloved Warner Archive releases.
It would be terrible if this was a Simpsons-like situation where DVD/blu-ray releases were deliberately stopped in order to drive people to the online portal.
Ideally, this service and WAC would complement one another and drive sales between the two, and also increase the remastering/restoration budget. The Boomerang service would also be a great way for WAC to gauge interest in lesser-known titles. And build an audience for them, too.

I doubt that will have any effect on the WA HB and animation disc releases. Since the main interest in these shows is by collectors and currently most collectors prefer physical discs. They have had The Warner instant streaming service for close to 5 years now and it hasn't stopped the movie and TV show releases at WA. All reports are the streaming service continues to struggle while WA is doing well selling discs. Again their product interests collectors.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Yeah, but there are a lot of Simpsons fans that collected DVD sets. If anything, it's shows like Family Guy that one would expect to drop DVDs at this point.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but there are a lot of Simpsons fans that collected DVD sets. If anything, it's shows like Family Guy that one would expect to drop DVDs at this point.
But those shows are from Fox who has always been about the worst studio for releasing TV. Warner is one of the best for releasing TV and WA normally finishes what they start unless they get stalled with clearances issues. So I don't see the comparison between the Simpsons and WA Hanna Barbera and other classic animation releases.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Interesting and initially priced right. But I think most of us in this thread will already have everything that is available or everything that we want. I think they will continue to make new releases available to WA first. I also don't care for the weekly rotating as it forces you to watch all the episodes of a show fast instead of at your own pace.

I doubt that will have any effect on the WA HB and animation disc releases. Since the main interest in these shows is by collectors and currently most collectors prefer physical discs. They have had The Warner instant streaming service for close to 5 years now and it hasn't stopped the movie and TV show releases at WA. All reports are the streaming service continues to struggle while WA is doing well selling discs. Again their product interests collectors.

Yes the only online services that are currently making any decent profits are Netflix and Hulu. Many of the other micro-payment online services are not. I expect we will see some weeding out of boutique ones as the year goes on. The only ones making money right now are the big two. I would fully expect that we will see continued support of the Warner Archive purchase to own. I wish they would come up with a download to own that was worth a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks