What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Look what I just found online that was released in February of this year. I also pre-ordered the Huckleberry Hound Diamond Anniversary Edition. I know it's the same contents as the release from 2005 but I have to get it because it's my favorite.
4 Kid Favorites.jpg

Kirben

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
Has anyone checked out the recent DVD re-releases (Flintstones, Jetsons, etc) to see what has changed?

Have the discs been updated with more episodes, and extras removed? or are double sided discs been used now?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I have pre-ordered the Huckleberry Hound set from Target. I've got to check it out. I will let everyone know when I have it in my hot little hands. Randy, I was hoping for new releases as well but it sounds like this Diamond Anniversary thing is the only H-B DVD thing for June. <sigh>

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Have the discs been updated with more episodes,

Why would they do that? They are most likely the same exact discs.

or are double sided discs been used now?

Again, it would be very surprising if they discs changed at all, let alone to double sided discs which I thought have been long abandoned....

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
The two sets I compared to the originals have one less disc per set, which I realized are the extra discs of special features.

I think these new sets only include the episodes, with the special features discs left out.

Kirben

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
Why would they do that? They are most likely the same exact discs.

Again, it would be very surprising if they discs changed at all, let alone to double sided discs which I thought have been long abandoned....
I was just hoping for DVD re-releases with only single sided discs, similar to DVD re-releases from Universal Studio. I have had a few double sided discs go bad over the years, so I would upgrade to avoid them.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
From Digital Bits:
"Warner Bros Home Entertainment has just unveiled their new Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection line of DVD and digital releases, set to include a wave of “over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD and digital until now.” Some of these rebranded DVD packages have been available previously, including the likes of The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, and Yogi Bear, with more set to come through December of this year. All of this is being done to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera’s iconic animation studio."
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062217-1600
I wonder what will be coming that hasnt been released. It says "Many". Exciting news!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Hoping to get the rest of Huckleberry Hound, Maybe Ruff and Reddy will be released.
Maybe even Jana of the Jungle and Quick Draw McGraw!

I've even more embraced Jana because of two recent H-B productions, both from the 1990s and both Cartoon Network originals, that share the same jungle themes: the Cartoon Cartoon Jungle Boy (1996), and the second Johnny Bravo pilot, which features none other than B. J. Ward herself, playing an Amazon woman.

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
From Digital Bits:
"Warner Bros Home Entertainment has just unveiled their new Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection line of DVD and digital releases, set to include a wave of “over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD and digital until now.” Some of these rebranded DVD packages have been available previously, including the likes of The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, and Yogi Bear, with more set to come through December of this year. All of this is being done to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera’s iconic animation studio."
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062217-1600
I wonder what will be coming that hasnt been released. It says "Many". Exciting news!

The reference to "DVD and digital" -- is that a reference to the Boomerang streaming channel? I have not checked it out, but have read that it's just the same transfers that have been shown on cable, i.e. no restoration. I certainly would welcome more unreleased pre-1980s Hanna-Barbera, but this seems like a reversal of what they've been doing, with some great stuff having come out through Warner Archive. Certainly everything from the pre-1970 era (at least) deserves a release, if they can clear them and properly reassemble them. I shall be cautiously optimistic.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the screen shots Greg. So other than packaging and menus is there anything different in this set? Same transfers? Same episodes?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I found another press release on the Hanna-Barbera Diamond Anniversary Collection on DVD. These releases are the first wave and they will continue through the end of the year. Maybe this is why Warner Archive has not been releasing very many H-B releases this year. Here is a link to the story and then I have copied and pasted the story itself:

http://digitalchumps.com/2017/06/22/hanna-barbera-diamond-collection-dvddigitalhd-announced/

BURBANK, CA (June 22, 2017) – Jinkies! Yabba dabba doo! Heavens to Murgatroyd! To celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera’s animation studio on July 7, 1957, Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) is releasing a comprehensive catalog of classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons to date. The 60th anniversary catalog collection is a celebration of the lovable gang of animated characters that children and adults alike remember and continue to influence pop culture around the world. The Diamond Collection will include over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD or Digital until now. The Diamond Collection will feature brand-new packaging, new digital content, discount pricing and select free episodes throughout the summer surrounding the milestone anniversary. The collections have begun to release as of May 2017 and are rolling out through December 2017.

“We are thrilled to celebrate the milestone 60th anniversary of the legendary Hanna-Barbera animation studio with the Diamond Collection releases this Summer,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, WBHE Vice President, Television Marketing, Family and Animation. “Hanna-Barbera created some of the most beloved animated characters of all time. We are honored to celebrate this legacy with this new collection that has something for everyone, from first time viewers to avid collectors.”

For their achievements, Hanna and Barbera won eight Emmy Awards, seven Academy Awards, a Golden Globe Award, a Governor’s Award and earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Between the two, the company released over 3,500 half-hours of animated programming, hit television features, PSAs, shorts, commercials, and specials. Many of the duo’s cartoons were seen internationally and distributed in over 175 countries and 45 languages around the world. Whether it be four teenagers and their lovable but cowardly Great Dane, Scooby-Doo, packed into their signature Mystery Machine to fight supernatural forces, or the space age story of America’s favorite futuristic family, The Jetsons, or even the comedic rivalry of the iconic cat and mouse adversaries, Tom and Jerry, Hanna-Barbera cartoons are beloved by adults, children and families around the world.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see what new shows comes out of it. When you figure 6 seasons for Flintstones and several for Scooby Doo they have easily released 70 seasons already so probably not much new. I suspect most of the new stuff will remain with Warner Archive but this sounds like a perfect opportunity for WHV to release the Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show and as a second release Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks