What's new

Newbie in DIY world... (1 Viewer)

Sebastian

Second Unit
I would probably go with the Av-15 with some PR's as John J suggested.
I am somewhat a noob myself so take my advice for what it is worth.
Good luck and "patience Danielson"
Here are some alignments for the AV-15

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Sebastian lets say I were to use a pair of the AV-15s, and feed them about 1000 watts, and I am in my room of 20 feet by 20 feet with a 10 foot heigh, would I achieve that DB reading you have?

If I tuned the Av15 down to 12hz, would it still reach a good reading?

May I ask why are you in favor of the AV-15 over the Tumult?

Thanks man!

Sebastian

Second Unit
To be honest I have not heard either one, I said the AV-15 because of this on the Stryke website about more displacement:
These woofers area an Absolute Value, and offer the most linear displacement your dollar can buy. Here are some comparisons to some of the most highly regarded woofers in the industry. You'll see that there really is no comparison if you are looking for the most your money can buy.

12" woofers displacement per dollar comparison:
* 2.5L for the AV12 at $140.00 = $56 per L
* 1.53L for the Dayton DVC12 at $119.20 = $77.90 per L
* 1.89L for the Titanic MKII at $149.80 = $79.26 per L
* 1.52L for the Shiva 12" at $125.00 = $82.24 per L
* 2.38L for the Brahma 12" at $369.00 = $155.04 per L.

15" woofers displacement per dollar comparison:
* 4L for the AV15 at $165 = $41.25 per L
* 2.44L for the Dayton DVC15 at $132.50 =$54.30 per L
* 2.56L for the Tempest 15 at $150 = $58.60 per L
* 4.09L for the Brahma 15 at $429 = $104.89 per L

I said go with PR's because I like the way PR's sound and a 22" cube or a 5 cu-ft PR box is much easier to put in your house than a 250L enclosure. Just my opinion though.
The chart is from Stryke audio website, not my in room response.
Give John J a shout through E-mail or call him at Stryke audio. He will be able to provide a better and more detailed advice than me.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
displacement isn't everything, you still need to look at Xmax, SPL levels, and the Q's then you can model it in software, to get a good idea

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Allen,

since displacement is just Sd x Xmax, it is a good indicator of how much air you can move cleanly. That translates directly to the SPL levels you can achieve. Of course you do need to look at the rest of the parameters and model the response.

You can see some suggested alignments for the AV15 on the page. http://www.stryke.com/AVseries.html

John

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
So John with that being said what would you predict will be the SPL levels and DB output in my room?

what you said above, was greek to me, sorry big newbie, is there any literature you can reccomend?

How much power would I need to power 2 of those 15s? How would they handle to a B4?

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Why are you tuning to 12hz? Music doesn't reach that low, unless you listen to pipe organs (do they go that low?) I don't even think the DTS track of Titan AE goes that low. If you tune higher, you should be able to get a higher SPL in the same room. Go download Winisd or something like that.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Actually man U5751 does go that low, and I heard that the new DVD-A's are going to be taking advantage of LOW frequency bass. Should be interesting.

How many DBs would I be losing by tuning to 12hz?

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I'm not quite sure how to put this, but I suggested Ahsan posted his questions here. So blame me.

Ahsan,

You are asking the same question all over again and not listening. 120dB at 12Hz is not possible in your budget, and even if it were why would you bother?

I don't want to sound cruel, but I obviously misunderstood what you are trying to achieve. I'd suggest a car audio forum.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks