What's new

Newbie in DIY world... (1 Viewer)

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have been reading on and off about this whole DIY subwoofer thing. And I think I'm ready to actually get down and build one.

I've been wanting to achieve a subwoofer as powerful as the B4. I have had plenty of time on my hands recently for the next few months, so I'm getting nitty gritty with the whole idea.

So my question to you guys.....

What type of drivers should I use? How many of them? I am trying to extend the bass down to 12hz, how would I get that to reach reference levels? How would I measure and tweak the sub?

I know these are very NEWBIE like questions, but I am dead set on making one!

PM me, if you guys have any ideas or suggestions, anything will be greatly appreciated!! !

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Can Anyone cue me in on the Tumult by Adire?

What type of performance would that driver have?

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
In a 20 foot by 20 foot room with 10 foot ceilings, how hard would a Tumult hit at reference?

ehhhhhh...... any help at all??

Sebastian

Second Unit
You may be hard pressed to see any replies on the weekend around here. You might have to wait until Monday to get some knowledgeable replies. Tumult probably would be your best bet or the AV-15 from stryke audio. Try doing a search on the two and you may get lucky

cayce B

Auditioning
Do a search for "Tumult" (using all open forums, slowest search possible, & any date options), and you should come up with about 184 threads, like I did. That should more than answer your questions.

BTW, I'd offer more help, but I, too, am only a lowly newbie to this field.

Good luck!

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys,

My main idea is to try to his 120 or so dbs at a tuned 12 hz.........

Yeah I know it sounds crazy but I'M GONNA DO IT!

I'm trying to keep costs under $1500.... so any suggestions....

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes and of course, this will be for music and HT.

both SLAM and deepness is wanted and defintely CLEAN.....

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Buy 2 Tumults, 4 Stryke 18" PR's, build a 280L enclosure and a 3000W amp. You should hit over 120dB anechoic at 20Hz.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Brian how much is that 3000w amp gonna cost me?

Remeber I am trying to keep costs under $2000.

BUT MAN O MAN, that sounds AWEEEEEEESOME!

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
AhsanR,

To hit 120dB at 12hz is not going to happen with any single woofer or pair of woofers. Tom Nousaine uses 8 woofers similar to our HE15 in an infinite baffle configuration in his theater. With this along with 5000W or so, he is able to get to the levels you are looking at.

If you're looking for more output and extension than a B4, you may want to look towards something like this:

http://www.stryke.com/enclosures/dua...PR-explode.gif

You could do a cabinet similar to this with a pair of either our HE15, AV15, or something like the Tumult, and 4 18" Pr's.

John

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Would that setup equal the amount of force a B4 carries?

To tell you the truth man, I just want a subwoofer, that'll shake the foundation of my house...... and then some!

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Each HE15 has more displacement capability than a pair of the 12" woofers used in the B4. You also would have 4 18" Pr's compared to the vents used in the B4. The PR's will have much less compression, vent noise, and allow for lower tuning to get the extension you are really looking for. It will all end up giving you a good deal more max output.

John

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
John what should I get: Tumutls, AV15, or HE15.

Respectively how many watts would it take to drive a pair of these babies?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Dude, relax. You'll get an answer if someone has one. Have you searched for the answer yourself? Tumutls?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Aye aye, sorry man, just gotten a bit excited over this new area I never knew about.
Yeah, I hear ya...it's lots of fun. Jut search and read all you can, constant postings stop getting answers pretty quickly as it's seen as a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks