What's new

Newbie here...... (1 Viewer)

Lainie*H

Auditioning
...my first post. I am getting ready to make the leap from crappy Time Warner to D*. Just looking for some guidance. I am looking at a DirecTiVo (living rm.) with an extra receiver (bedrm.). Some questions:

1. I am in Memphis, TN. It is my understanding that I will only need dual-LNB for local channels. True?

2. Is the $99 Expert Satellite deal too good to be true?
(DirecTiVo, dish, extra receiver)

3. If I buy online, will they install?

4. If too many trees, will I get out of the 1-year contract?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm so green!!!

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Lainie.

I can't answer your first question, but I will give the others a shot.

2. Is $99 a good deal for a directivo/extra reciever/dish, I would have to say yes. When I got my directivo, i paid $70 for it, and that did not come with installation (i did it myself). Does install come with the $99? If so, then it is a sweet deal. Just make sure that they install a multiswitch, that way you can have 2 connections to your tivo, and the other one to your extra receiver.

3. some online locations will offer install in their price. They don't do the actual install, but they subcontract it out to a local installer. Check orbitsat.com and see what they have.... (that is were I got my tivo)

4. If I remember correctly, when the installer comes out, if they can't do the install, you should be able to get out of the contract. I have seen some interesting installs though (where the dish is pointing into a house :) ), and the owner say they got great signal. From what I understand, the actual signal hits the dish at a much higher angle (more than 45 degrees).

You will love Tivo.....

Kimo B.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Yes, Memphis locals are on the 101 (main sat) transponder 4. You may want to get the multi-sat dish if you are upgrading to HD any time soon.

4. If they just look around and don't actually get out their sat finder thingy (that's the technical term for it), call the dealer back and insist on another installer.

I am getting ready to make the leap from crappy Time Warner to D*.
I tried their digital cable during a free for 30 days deal. I kept it 29 days. I can't watch TV without my DirecTivo any more.

-Robert

Lainie*H

Auditioning
:) My DirecTiVo is on its way!!! Yay! Goodbye Time Warner! (fingers crossed for no trees in the way)

Thanks for the tips!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I paid $200 for the Sony B2 DirectTV single dish 6 years ago. Around here, they are now giving away 2 room systems with free installation. I'm very happy with it especially since we now get local channels. But I do hope you don't live near an airport. I'm under a flight path and it interupts the signal quite alot. Also, when it rains real hard, I lose the signal for up to 10 minutes. It only happens once or twice a year but I thought I would mention it. Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks