What's new

newbe, need help (1 Viewer)

bigtyme1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
OK Guys, I'm working in the basement for a kids play room but want to think for the future. My plan is to have surround sound, big screen. I allready have a 60 big screen so that part is done. What I need to know is can I put the speakers in the ceiling?
What kind of wires should I run for future projector in the ceiling?
Can the front speaker go into the bulk head. About 7ft from floor?
Should I go 5,6,7,way surround?

Sorry if it's alot of info, I really don't know where to start. The plan is to have this room finished buy Xmas.
Thanks
Mark.

theflavor

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I would always try to future-proof your setup, especially if you are finishing off the ceiling/walls and it won't be easy to get into it later.

As long as you have something sturdy to mounts your speakers to, you can mount them anywhere

Stephen Williamson

Auditioning
What I need to know is can I put the speakers in the ceiling?

Only if you have to, and then only the rears, in ceiling speakers throw out the surround effect.

What kind of wires should I run for future projector in the ceiling?

HDMI, Component, Power Or better still, just a big conduit with draw string

Can the front speaker go into the bulk head. About 7ft from floor?

If they are in wall speakers then yes, however, try to find speakers with moveable tweeters to help sound direction, do not put normal bookshelves in a niche unless they are designed for the task. Center speaker should be as near to the cneter of the screen as possible.
Should I go 5,6,7,way surround?

Speaker cable is cheap, run for 7.1, allow for different positions of the subwoofer along with power outlets.

bigtyme1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
This is great info, Thanks for all the help. should I be running 16 gauge for all the speakers?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
16 is ok 14 would be better. Look for a high Strand count wire. If using 16guage look for a strand count of 65 or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks