NewB for Sub building help!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Will-Layfield, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

I would like to build a dyi Sub and I need some advice on how to get started/which sub and/or kit to get. I guess I will list some specifications and you guy can help me out from there.
    1. I am going to use a 250 plate amp from parts express
    2. I have all necessary wood tools and a very knowledgable wood worker
    3. I want low output since I am very into HT
    4. I don't want it to be crazy expensive but it can be moderatly so...($400-500 but not like $1000)
    5. I will probably use mdf unless you all suggest some other material.
    6. I would rather build a sub that doesn't require internal bracing a.k.a. I would like to keep it simple.

So those are some things that I think will help you all in helping me decide. I am doing this because as of right now I don't have a sub. I don't have a ton of money to spend on a sub and if spending $400 will yield $1G-$1.5G results as so many people have said dyi subs are capable of I really want to try it out. Plus I figure it would be a cool hobby to get into.

2. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

No bracing... Sonosub maybe???

On the DIY front page about 1/3rd of the way down on the left side you will see a sonosub link. Take a look and see what you think.

I flip flop about trying that or a regular cabinet with bracing. Bracing shouldn't be that hard to do.

Sonotube costs more than MDF unless you can find somebody who is willing to split a tube with you. I'm in the Chicago area and I am willing to split a tube with somebody but I would like to wait until I can work outside so that i don't get dust all over my basement.

3. lee ison

lee ison Stunt Coordinator

i would use a dayton quattro 15 incher in a 7 cubic ft. son otube , 4inch port 8.5 inches long good down to about 20hz. can be built for well under two humdred dollars, esp. with your skills,22 dia.x34inches tall ,this accounts for a3/4 " plug on both ends.

4. RobertFirment

I would recommend using 1" MDF, which you should be able to order from a lumber yard for about $36. Take a look at the Atlas drivers from AscendantAudio. Very high quality and great customer service. I got the 12" Atlas and it is a beauty in looks and performance.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I am NOT a very knowledgable wookworker, but I managed to crank out a 5.5 ft3 sub with bracing with little hassle. It only took one piece of MDF. I used a Quatro 15 driver with a PE 500 watt amp and am happy with the results. Unfortuantly, I got eh amp when it was on sale for a ridiculous price. It's usually $300 by itself. A lot of people like the 240 watt amp with that speaker. I'm not adding up everything here, but I think a sub with these parts can be kept under $300 easily.