What's new

NewB for Sub building help!!! (1 Viewer)

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to build a dyi Sub and I need some advice on how to get started/which sub and/or kit to get. I guess I will list some specifications and you guy can help me out from there.
1. I am going to use a 250 plate amp from parts express
2. I have all necessary wood tools and a very knowledgable wood worker
3. I want low output since I am very into HT
4. I don't want it to be crazy expensive but it can be moderatly so...($400-500 but not like $1000)
5. I will probably use mdf unless you all suggest some other material.
6. I would rather build a sub that doesn't require internal bracing a.k.a. I would like to keep it simple.

So those are some things that I think will help you all in helping me decide. I am doing this because as of right now I don't have a sub. I don't have a ton of money to spend on a sub and if spending $400 will yield $1G-$1.5G results as so many people have said dyi subs are capable of I really want to try it out. Plus I figure it would be a cool hobby to get into.

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator
No bracing... Sonosub maybe???

On the DIY front page about 1/3rd of the way down on the left side you will see a sonosub link. Take a look and see what you think.

I flip flop about trying that or a regular cabinet with bracing. Bracing shouldn't be that hard to do.

Sonotube costs more than MDF unless you can find somebody who is willing to split a tube with you. I'm in the Chicago area and I am willing to split a tube with somebody but I would like to wait until I can work outside so that i don't get dust all over my basement.

lee ison

Stunt Coordinator
i would use a dayton quattro 15 incher in a 7 cubic ft. son otube , 4inch port 8.5 inches long good down to about 20hz. can be built for well under two humdred dollars, esp. with your skills,22 dia.x34inches tall ,this accounts for a3/4 " plug on both ends.

I would recommend using 1" MDF, which you should be able to order from a lumber yard for about $36. Take a look at the Atlas drivers from AscendantAudio. Very high quality and great customer service. I got the 12" Atlas and it is a beauty in looks and performance.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I am NOT a very knowledgable wookworker, but I managed to crank out a 5.5 ft3 sub with bracing with little hassle. It only took one piece of MDF. I used a Quatro 15 driver with a PE 500 watt amp and am happy with the results. Unfortuantly, I got eh amp when it was on sale for a ridiculous price. It's usually $300 by itself. A lot of people like the 240 watt amp with that speaker. I'm not adding up everything here, but I think a sub with these parts can be kept under $300 easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks