What's new

newb needs advice on "type 1" sub project attempt (1 Viewer)

Jake_J_HT

Auditioning
Before I bothered you folks with a bunch of questions, I want to make sure I should build my own sub.

My situation: I have no audio system currently for my soon to be arriving RPTV. I have a large open basement, 18' x 60', and the HT/music set-up will go in the middle third of this room. Usage will be probably 60/40 HT/Music. I love LFE and good bass.

My main motivation for considering DIY sub is value. While I like to build things and would be proud of my own accomplishment, the real reason would be to create a sub with performance that would rival a pre-made sub costing considerably more (I need to keep the cost under $1K, closer to $500 even better). Considering the size of my room, I may need a serious sub. I don't particularly want to dedicate weeks building a sub. I suck at cabinetry (oh, sure I could build a box built like a brick outhouse, but it would look like one too). This isn't going to be a hobby for me (well, not for the foreseeable future, anyway).

So, to help me understand the value equation, consider the following example: comparing to, say, a Paradigm PW-2200 or Hsu VTF-3(or other mid-fi subs), would the Parts Express 15" Titanic Dayton DVC complete sub kit (w/cabinet and 250W plate amp) completely outperform these pre-made subs (at almost half the price)?

If the answer is yes, what happens to the value equation if I used that same pre-made cabinet, but used the HS500 plate amp and a driver like the Stryke AV15 or Bluepoint BPD1503? What kind of pre-made would that combo rival (if it's even a viable combination, that is)?

You'll notice that my two example projects would probably take me all of an evening to put together. (don't get me completely wrong--I'll spend more time for significant gains in the finished product.)

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Jake

A

Anthony_Gomez

instead of answering those, let me offer 3 other points that will probably clear up A LOT of confusion for you.

1) Consumer subs have HEAVY compromises on size of the enclosure. they usually stay in the 1.5-2.5cuft range....and sometimes smaller. Since they have such a small limit, they cannot effectively port low and loud (port area). They also tend to port "high" as to induce a hump that has the "wow" factor

2) DIY is only a "value" if you do not value your time

3) most of the DIY value is in building the enclosure, not putting the driver and amp in a pre-made box.

Add this together and you get:
"If I can build my own enclosure and don't have small enclosure limits (the bigger the better!), the I can kick the $h!t out of consumer gear in both output/quality and value"

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I think if I was in your situation and I could build a large sub I'd go for a Tempest sonosub. Once you get the measurements and the materials you could have it done in one weekend. With a 500-600 watt amp it would rock the house for less than $500. You don't have the challenge of trying to make a bunch of perfect straight square cuts. Just a few circles. A steady hand and a good jig saw will work. If you have or can get a router so much the better.

Jake_J_HT

Auditioning
Okay, thanks for the responses. But, I'm trying to get a baseline here to determine if this is something I want to pursue. Given the two example "projects" I outlined, how do they compare to the mid-fi subs I mentioned?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The Stryke AV-15 with 500 watts in the right enclosure would outperform the two subs you mentioned. As Anthony_Gomez said you would be able to overcome the market restrictions imposed on most sub makers. It wouldn't be half the price though. You're looking at $600-$800 versus $400-$500.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i think the av15 is a sweet sub and it rocks. hands down it blows my old velo ct 120 out of the water. with just 1 sub turned on and 500wats to it. but when i turn on both o my god. i cant see needing any more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks