newb needs advice on "type 1" sub project attempt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake_J_HT, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Jake_J_HT

Jake_J_HT Auditioning

Before I bothered you folks with a bunch of questions, I want to make sure I should build my own sub.

My situation: I have no audio system currently for my soon to be arriving RPTV. I have a large open basement, 18' x 60', and the HT/music set-up will go in the middle third of this room. Usage will be probably 60/40 HT/Music. I love LFE and good bass.

My main motivation for considering DIY sub is value. While I like to build things and would be proud of my own accomplishment, the real reason would be to create a sub with performance that would rival a pre-made sub costing considerably more (I need to keep the cost under $1K, closer to $500 even better). Considering the size of my room, I may need a serious sub. I don't particularly want to dedicate weeks building a sub. I suck at cabinetry (oh, sure I could build a box built like a brick outhouse, but it would look like one too). This isn't going to be a hobby for me (well, not for the foreseeable future, anyway).

So, to help me understand the value equation, consider the following example: comparing to, say, a Paradigm PW-2200 or Hsu VTF-3(or other mid-fi subs), would the Parts Express 15" Titanic Dayton DVC complete sub kit (w/cabinet and 250W plate amp) completely outperform these pre-made subs (at almost half the price)?

If the answer is yes, what happens to the value equation if I used that same pre-made cabinet, but used the HS500 plate amp and a driver like the Stryke AV15 or Bluepoint BPD1503? What kind of pre-made would that combo rival (if it's even a viable combination, that is)?

You'll notice that my two example projects would probably take me all of an evening to put together. (don't get me completely wrong--I'll spend more time for significant gains in the finished product.)

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Jake

2. instead of answering those, let me offer 3 other points that will probably clear up A LOT of confusion for you.

1) Consumer subs have HEAVY compromises on size of the enclosure. they usually stay in the 1.5-2.5cuft range....and sometimes smaller. Since they have such a small limit, they cannot effectively port low and loud (port area). They also tend to port "high" as to induce a hump that has the "wow" factor

2) DIY is only a "value" if you do not value your time

3) most of the DIY value is in building the enclosure, not putting the driver and amp in a pre-made box.

Add this together and you get:
    "If I can build my own enclosure and don't have small enclosure limits (the bigger the better!), the I can kick the $h!t out of consumer gear in both output/quality and value"

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I think if I was in your situation and I could build a large sub I'd go for a Tempest sonosub. Once you get the measurements and the materials you could have it done in one weekend. With a 500-600 watt amp it would rock the house for less than $500. You don't have the challenge of trying to make a bunch of perfect straight square cuts. Just a few circles. A steady hand and a good jig saw will work. If you have or can get a router so much the better.

4. Jake_J_HT

Jake_J_HT Auditioning

Okay, thanks for the responses. But, I'm trying to get a baseline here to determine if this is something I want to pursue. Given the two example "projects" I outlined, how do they compare to the mid-fi subs I mentioned?

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

The Stryke AV-15 with 500 watts in the right enclosure would outperform the two subs you mentioned. As Anthony_Gomez said you would be able to overcome the market restrictions imposed on most sub makers. It wouldn't be half the price though. You're looking at $600-$800 versus $400-$500.

6. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i think the av15 is a sweet sub and it rocks. hands down it blows my old velo ct 120 out of the water. with just 1 sub turned on and 500wats to it. but when i turn on both o my god. i cant see needing any more bass.