What's new

New Unreal Championship shots (X-Box) (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I came across these very amazing shots from the upcoming 'Unreal Championship' game on X-Box.
Have a look,
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Those are nice looking pics, but I don't get excited over screenshots until I see some of the actual gameplay.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Until I know for a fact that I will be able to play on public servers, download levels and mods, and use a keyboard and a mouse, I'm not even paying attention to First Person Shooters on the XBox.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The X-Box will not allow for user created levels or mods for games unless they are made by the developers or are like in TimeSplitters and there is a mode for creating them that is part of the game. The X-Box is not a PC, so making mods and levels without a program as part of the game would be VERY difficult. MS is not making a keyboard or mouse, so a third party has to make one for you to use it. You will be able to connect to a LAN for some games, but the connecting to the internet will not be available until next year.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just wondering, how can you tell if these are CGI shots, or real-time shots made by the Xbox and stuff???
They look amazing though...
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
NickSo-
You can't. Many companies will fix up photos from games to make them look better or will freeze a game on a dev kit and raise its resolution and then it will look way better than running at full 60 fps on a crap TV. You are supposed to assume that the game looks like that.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The X-Box will not allow for user created levels or mods for games unless they are made by the developers or are like in TimeSplitters and there is a mode for creating them that is part of the game.

This is needed for people to make mods and levels for PC games too. People aren't just hacking the games to make their own stuff. And even if this were the case, there is nothing to suggest that they couldn't do that for XBox games either.
------------------

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
You can't. Many companies will fix up photos from games to make them look better or will freeze a game on a dev kit and raise its resolution and then it will look way better than running at full 60 fps on a crap TV. You are supposed to assume that the game looks like that.

Some will also add elements such as smoke or fire that are not yet implemented into the game, but are supposed to represent the final product (which may, in the end be very different.)
------------------

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the movie link, Alex. I got a kick out of the rep stating that the game is a continuation of the story in Unreal Tournament. That was the first I ever heard that there was a story in UT.
wink.gif

That volumetric smoke looks waaaaaay cool.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
Edit:
Just found another movie at
Link Removed . Wow....
[Edited last by Dave F on September 03, 2001 at 11:46 PM]

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm very interested in this game but I really wish they had put in support for keyboard/mouse play. Everything I've read indicates they will only support the control pad.
Bummer.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
maybe we could start a pool as to when a KB/Mouse or adapter comes out for XB. I saw a PS/2 KB adapter for the Dreamcast the other day. I can't imagine it being too tough to make one for the XB.
------------------

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I am sure that there will be 'unlicensed' perhiperals for the box (keyboard/mouse). They question is, can the developers sneak in a hidden option for keyboard/mouse support within the game if Microsoft does not want it there?
Probably.
Let's all hope that it happens. I can not even fathom playing Unreal with a thumbpad or joystick ...the response would be so slow and imprecise that you would get shreadded in an actual game. Someone in game development should force Gates to sit down and attempt to play Unreal with a thumbpad for a round or two ...and then let him use the mouse/keyboard configuration for a few rounds. That would surely convince him to see the error of his ways.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Sean Oneil on September 04, 2001 at 04:54 AM]

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I think I read in one of threads here at the HTF, that Gates was a big time gamer and that is one of the reasons he wanted the X-Box created. If he is such a big gamer, he should know the importance of the keyboard/mouse combo. This is why I only play a very select few, and I mean few, FPS on consoles. Controllers just plain suck ass for FPS.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind, though, MS does not want the XBOX labled as a PC and are marketing it as a console...
For better or worse, a mouse and keyboard would dilute that very image they so want to portray...
My thinking is that, (and I'm sure MS is also thinking along these lines) if the XBOX was the sole home to PC sequels (like UC)those PC gamers would do what it takes to play sequels to games that they love, if push came to shove....
I mean,if Half Life 2/Starcraft 2/Doom 3 became XBOX exclusive would you REALLY boycott the system because of the input device,especially when the cost of entry is so low compared to the continual PC upgrades???
Although most of thoese PC gamers will *say* "give me a keyboard or give me death", what they will actually *DO* when that sexy title sits on the shelf, waiting to be played is another thing entirely...
I would be surprised if more than 25% of those gamers would turn their backs on their favorite games, just because they are on a $300, plug and play box....
[Edited last by Kelly Scott Rickards on September 04, 2001 at 12:50 PM]
[Edited last by Kelly Scott Rickards on September 04, 2001 at 12:51 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
FPS games on the X-Box will probably use a scheme similar to GoldenEye: use the joystick to turn left/right and move forward/back and use the 4 colored buttons to strafe left/right and look up/down and then hold the left trigger to toggle a "look" mode and the right trigger to shoot and use the black and white buttons to change weapons or reload. MDK2 for the DC had a similar setup that was really good. If you think playing FPS games on XB will be hard, try it out on the PS2.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think I read in one of threads here at the HTF, that Gates was a big time gamer and that is one of the reasons he wanted the X-Box created.
That's nonsense. The original XBox team had to battle all the way for it to stay a 'pure' games machine instead of yet another WebTV hybrid.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks