What's new

New TV...What dvd player? (1 Viewer)

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Been away from this stuff a while and am way behind the curve. Need help and suggestions.
Just installed a Sony KDS 60A2020 and am now faced with other decisions. Current setup includes a denon 5 disc dvd changer that is on its last leg, B&K avm20 Pre with component and s video inputs, one 2 channel amp, one three channel amp, and on Monday a dishnetwork hd dvr622.
Current plan is to use the hdmi input on the tv(only one) for satellite and buy a new dvd player which will have to run via component to the tv.
Wife has grown accustomed to the 5 disc changer but understands that this could be a compromise in quality. Not ready to go hd dvd till things settle on a format or the prices come down on players that do both formats. So is there a changer that does a good job of upconverting, great 5.1 and cd sound that fits my system or do I need to go single dvd to get the quality pic and sound?
All thoughts, suggestions, ideas appreciated.
Steve

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm thinking that since you plan to use component for the DVD player, just about any plain jane player will pretty much do. Let the TV do any uscaling instead of the player.

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John. Appreciate the reply.
Have been reading a lot since I posted the question and had been getting that feeling.
Guess now I am looking for an inexpensive player that has good sound on cd's. This will be a stopgap solution till hd becomes more affordable and the format war seems to settle.
Thanks again.
Steve

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
hmm-- component video outputs still vary in quality, as do the de-interlacing algorithms. If you have no need for DVD-Audio/SACD, you can probably use the DACs in your B&K with good results.

There's also the possibility of getting an hdmi switch.

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeremy. Not exactly sure what it all means but will be doing some reading and try to catch up.
Was fooling around with the tv last night and noticed, to my surprise, 2 HDMI connections. The installers had told me the tv only had one so I went to the sony website and found this:
"HDMI™ Connection(s)
2 (Rear) - 1 rear input included L/R audio inputs"
Guessing that the this means if I want to use the tv for my sound I will be limited to the one input but if using the surround system I can use both hdmi's. Is that correct?
If so I can now have a dvd with hdmi output and gain the video benefits. Will a low end multi disc player do a decent job for the audio and video? My current Denon 5 disc changer is around 10 yrs old and dieing. Any recommendations on a solid performer in a dvd changer?
Thanks again,
Steve

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would probably get an Oppo DVd player, connnect it with hdmi and let it do the upscaling. Just set it to the Sony's native resolution. I'm sure you can get an equivalent changer, but it will be pretty expensive.

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John.
Been looking at the Oppo. Looks to be a very good player at a great price.
Steve

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW Steve, both hdmi inputs should output audio if it is there. hdmi can be a little weird where audio is involved and you might have to try it to be sure. The analog input is something that would most likely never be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks