What's new

New to projectors need some advice on them & a screen. (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So that ent center is going away.
The "cheapest" screen is a painted wall. Sherwin Williams sells paint that works very well. You can paint for $100.
I still think $1100 isn't enough for that room(it is bright, just the walls make it bright). Unless you plan on painting the entire room a darker color, such as dark red.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
schan1269 said:
So that ent center is going away.
The "cheapest" screen is a painted wall. Sherwin Williams sells paint that works very well. You can paint for $100.
I still think $1100 isn't enough for that room(it is bright, just the walls make it bright). Unless you plan on painting the entire room a darker color, such as dark red.
Interesting about the color of the room.
It really isn't to bright being a basement. I could hang something over the windows and that would just about black it out. I did have it pretty bright to take that photo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It isn't just the "outside light".
A bright room messes with the contrast of your projector. Even at night, after dark, the projector livens that up...which in turn...
Requires a higher gain screen/paint...which
Destroys your contrast...and
Ruins your viewing angle.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, your white ceiling is the number one concern here. If you were buying this...
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-SH910-4000L-Cinema-Projector/dp/B005AS3072/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355714668&sr=1-1&keywords=benq+sh910
I'd say...go right ahead.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
So if I were to paint the wall that the ent center is on say a dark brown would that help or would I need to paint all the walls in that area?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Brown is not a color I'd pick for "the screen".
The ceiling, sure, paint it something non reflective...
However, you have to gauge overall use of the room plus time/money involved with painting an "open room"...vs just buying the appropriate projector in the first place. And no, this BenQ SH910 is not the only "bright, yet still has contrast" projector out there. Just the first I found...that is close to your budget.
With this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BenQ-SH910-DLP-1080P-Church-Auditorium-Home-Theater-Projector-HDMI-4000-Lumens-/221098112714?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item337a7976ca
and $100 in paint, you could leave the rest of the room completely alone. No window treatments...you wouldn't even need to paint the ceiling.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Put it this way, at your "screen size", the SH910 has a range of 12'7" to 18'11" and at its "avg distance" of 15'1"...it can combat 18fc. Which translates to 49% brightness...

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Ok my next dumb question. Would something like the SH910 going to be to bright for night time viewing. Is that the problem with projectors either to much or not enough?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
not necessarily stuck on that particular projector.
Is there anything out there better for about the same money that would suit my needs?
I'd like to help you out, but you didn't answer my questions in post #10.
Are you still at $1,200 for projector?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
You STILL didn't answer my questions in post #10. Until you do, I can't recommend any projectors.
I was planning to let him learn all that the hard way. But, if he stretches his budget a tad and gets the BenQ(so he doesn't have to spend money "making the room work")...it will be a whole lot more forgiving on his install.
I'm also guessing he's going to buy a mount that is going to stick his projector about 2 feet off the ceiling, cause he does have to miss the ceiling fan...
Hope he's not 6' tall...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Oh yeah, the fan. How far is the fan from the screen wall? You may have to lose the fan, or buy a TV like was suggested earlier.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
You can easily do a DIY screen for $100 or less, so that leaves $1,100 for a projector. You can buy a new 1080p for that amount. A good screen size for a 13' seating distance is about 110" diagonal.
1) Do you care if it's LCD or DLP?
2) Are you going to ceiling mount it or use a rear shelf? A shelf would require a projector with lens shift.
3) What would your throw distance be(lens to screen)?
1, no I don't care.
2, haven't decided yet was wanting some input from you experts on that.
3, the ceiling fan is around 14-15ft away from the wall. I don't care to lose the fan, but would prefer to keep it.
The Benq isn't out of the question. I can squeeze a little more out of my budget.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just so you know...that BenQ is BRIGHT, as in BRIGHT...
We also don't know if this is a westward facing window situation. KC isn't exactly "flat", as I have relatives on the north end where "The Mop Bucket" is. (by the way, great place for breakfast on the same street)
We need to know the lumen of the room. There are "not quite as bright" projectors at the same basic cost of that SH910.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
1, no I don't care.
2, haven't decided yet was wanting some input from you experts on that.
3, the ceiling fan is around 14-15ft away from the wall. I don't care to lose the fan, but would prefer to keep it.
The Benq isn't out of the question. I can squeeze a little more out of my budget.
We need a throw distance to figure out which projectors will work. You need to measure to see where the projector's lens would be when ceiling mounted, so that the fan blades would not hit the projector.
Which Benq model are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks