What's new

New to projectors need some advice on them & a screen. (1 Viewer)

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Yes those windows are facing southwest.
What's the best time of day to measure the lumens?
I'll see if I can pick up a meter in town somewhere.
BenQ SH910 that schan 1269 recommended.
I can put the projector probably up to about 17-18ft away

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
schan1269 said:
Just so you know...that BenQ is BRIGHT, as in BRIGHT...
We also don't know if this is a westward facing window situation. KC isn't exactly "flat", as I have relatives on the north end where "The Mop Bucket" is. (by the way, great place for breakfast on the same street)
We need to know the lumen of the room. There are "not quite as bright" projectors at the same basic cost of that SH910.
Are you referring too the mop bucket janitorial supply company on armour road in North Kansas City?
I live about 10min north of there

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then you are in the general vicinity of my uncle. Takes about 10 minutes to go eat breakfast.
Yeah, he lives 6500-ish north right off whatever that SR/US route is going right by there...
Edit:
68th and US169...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
Yes those windows are facing southwest.
What's the best time of day to measure the lumens?
I'll see if I can pick up a meter in town somewhere.
BenQ SH910 that schan 1269 recommended.
I can put the projector probably up to about 17-18ft away
Put up some blackout curtains and you don't have to worry about the light. This is Rule #1 in front projection. My point was that you want to mount the projector IN FRONT of the fan(so fan doesn't block the image). Recommending a projector is worthless until you figure out the throw distance that will work, with the fan where it is.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
Put up some blackout curtains and you don't have to worry about the light. This is Rule #1 in front projection. My point was that you want to mount the projector IN FRONT of the fan(so fan doesn't block the image). Recommending a projector is worthless until you figure out the throw distance that will work, with the fan where it is.
Ok looks like we're losing the ceiling fan :)
Putting blackout window treatments up wouldn't be a problem

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
In order to clear the ceiling fan blades, what would the throw distance need to be? Measured from lens to sreen(throw distance). 11 feet? 12 feet?
If you can use a throw distance between 10'-9" and about 12' (mounted in front of the fan) the Epson 8350 would be a good choice. It's about $1,200
As far as the Benq 910, not only is it a business projector and not designed for home theater, it's $1,800.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
In order to clear the ceiling fan blades, what would the throw distance need to be? Measured from lens to sreen(throw distance). 11 feet? 12 feet?
If you can use a throw distance between 10'-9" and about 12' (mounted in front of the fan) the Epson 8350 would be a good choice. It's about $1,200
As far as the Benq 910, not only is it a business projector and not designed for home theater, it's $1,800.
The BenQ SH910 is a large venue HT projector. I chose it to get him off his paltry budget. Buying a $1100 projector and spending a few hundred dollars making a "cheap projector work" is counter productive.
If he buys the right projector to work in his environment...he doesn't even need window treatments. He doesn't need to lose the fan. He doesn't need to paint his walls.
He simply needs to buy the right projector.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is another multi-media 1080P that would work...depending on the fan situation...
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-TH1020-1080P-Multimedia-Projector/dp/B004NEUK5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355934806&sr=1-1&keywords=optoma+th1020
And again, that is a projector intended for rooms of 100 people creating a 250" and bigger screen. But these types of projectors work wonders in non-light controlled situations of 90"-130"...if you can place them right.
For the TH1020 to create a 90" wide image (103" diag) it needs 11'3" to 13'6". It also combats 57%/21fc and it isn't near as blindingly bright as the SH910.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Ok here is where I'm at.
The fan is about 11ft from the wall. I can remove it & that would give me about 20.5ft from wall to wall.
Or if used a projector with a lens shift could I put it to the right or left of the fan?
I would like to go with a 150" screen size. I think that's gona be as big as I can fit in the space that I have.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
The BenQ SH910 is a large venue HT projector. I chose it to get him off his paltry budget. Buying a $1100 projector and spending a few hundred dollars making a "cheap projector work" is counter productive.
If he buys the right projector to work in his environment...he doesn't even need window treatments. He doesn't need to lose the fan. He doesn't need to paint his walls.
He simply needs to buy the right projector.
You chose a projector to "get him off his paltry budget". I love that. His budget is his budget, no matter what you think of it.
So your logic is to buy a very bright projector INSTEAD of solving the ambient light problem? That makes no sense. The darker the room to begin with, the better the image will be, and the darker the blacks will be.
I've been trying to find a projector that will allow him to keep his fan, by mounting it in front of it. BUT he hasn't given us that throw distance yet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We have different mindsets about this room...
If this were my house...and that is the room I had to work with...(have no idea if he has a wife/gf...). I would buy the projector to work in the room...yes.
Seymour has plenty of screens that will work with as much ambient light as this room has. That Knoll projector wouldn't require any, and I mean ANY window treatments.
So, he has a choice....
Spend a bit more on a projector that will work in the room...and keep the current aesthetic...
or...
Totally change the room from what it is now...so he can buy a less expensive projector.
1. How many hours is it going to take to paint the ceiling?
2. Window treatments to darken the room, yet remain fluid enough to open the room back up, cost what?
3. Taking the ceiling fan down...will that make a difference now that he wants 150"?...which is going to require another, complete redo...of the projector involved.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, the Knoll systems I linked prior, given you now want 150"...
1. No need to move the fan.
2. No need to mess with anything more than maybe darker blinds.
3. No need to paint the ceiling.
4. Stupid easy mount. 150" size, the projector has a mount point of....
17'5" - 20'10". Mount it to your back wall.
Edit:
You can take the 8350 off the table at 150". The room darn near has to be pitch black...(there is even a note on the PC calculator..."reduce screen size or increase screen gain", although, it might work with a screen gain of 1.4. Boy, painting for a screen gain...good luck with that. By the way, if you stick with the 8350 at 150". You just left the "cheap DIY paint job" and lofted yourself right into Screen Goo Reference White. Enough Screen Goo Reference White to paint 150" will cost around $400. Where the Knoll screen can be painted with $100 of Sherwin Williams)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, at 150"...I'll make this simple for you...
Knoll 2100 with $100-$150 in paint from Sherwin Williams. Done and watching a movie in 3 hours. Cost of $2150 + mount.
8350 + $400(at least) in Screen Goo Reference white + ceiling painting + new curtains/window treatments. Takes a few weekends to get done. Cost $2000 + Mount and 10+ hours painting and hanging new drapes.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots, how can you fit a 150" screen? You said your space for screen was 9' wide and 8.5' high. :confused: A 150" diagonal screen would be 10'-10" wide(130"). Whether or not you can keep the fan depends on how far below the ceiling it hangs. How many inches is it from ceiling to bottom of fan? I don't know if any projector would have enough hori. lens shift to work while mounted to the side of fan.
Like Sam said, you may be able to keep the fan by mounting the projector behind fan, and shooting the image under it.
Once again, can you clarify what your budget is JUST for projector? Because I don't think it's possible to find a projector for $1,100 that will work with a 150" diagonal screen and be bright enough.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
Boots, how can you fit a 150" screen? You said your space for screen was 9' wide and 8.5' high. :confused: A 150" diagonal screen would be 10'-10" wide(130"). Whether or not you can keep the fan depends on how far below the ceiling it hangs. How many inches is it from ceiling to bottom of fan? I don't know if any projector would have enough hori. lens shift to work while mounted to the side of fan.
Like Sam said, you may be able to keep the fan by mounting the projector behind fan, and shooting the image under it.
Once again, can you clarify what your budget is JUST for projector? Because I don't think it's possible to find a projector for $1,100 that will work with a 150" diagonal screen and be bright enough.
Maybe he accidentally clicked 4:3 and did find an extra foot...
I've had time to kill about his $1100 projector aspirations at 150"...
Every single projector I found on PC says it needs a minimum screen gain of 1.4. Some were as high as 1.7.
Like I said earlier...sure, buy an $1100 projector and spend $800-$1000 making it work...
Or, just spend $2000 on your projector...

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
I'll measure the fan when I get back home.
If I lay my front L/R speakers on their side I go from 127" width to about 170"
From top of ceiling to top of power outlet gives me right at 80". The power outlet is 18" up from the floor I could gain, minus the baseboard if I eliminated it.
Just figured why not go as big as the space will allow me too?
I was thinking painting a screen, but now he says with the right projector I want need a screen.
I can go a cpl of grand for a projector, but was thinking technology was good enough for me to do it cheaper. Lol guess that's what I get for thinking

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Laying the front speakers on their sides will sound AWFUL !! DON'T DO THAT !!
Screen size is based on your seating distance from screen. NOT the size of the room, or how much wall space you have available. What will your seating distance be?
You can paint your wall for the screen IF it is in VERY smooth condition, with no flaws.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. You still "need a painted wall". Sherwin Williams(read the DIY painted screen section on PC, they've worked with a few SW paints already...all you have to do is figure out gain and go buy the paint) is the least expensive paint...and the largest paint distributor. You can go to Porter and I bet there are some Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards where you might catch a person that has helped do this.
The issue is. Sherwin Williams does not sell a paint that creates gain higher than 1.1. Sure you can play around with your own mixtures...or you can go find the recipe for MaxxMudd. If you choose a cheap projector and want 150" screen...you aren't painting your wall with $100 paint. It isn't going to happen.
2. Laying your speakers on their sides. Probably not a good idea, lay them down first to see what they sound like...
3. I have no idea what your baseboard has to do with anything...cause from where you will be mounting a projector for 150", the floor doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks