What's new

New to projectors need some advice on them & a screen. (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, if you want to do this the easy way...
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-ZR120WH1-A1080-AcousticPro1080-Material-Projectors/dp/B003RG067G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355975248&sr=1-1&keywords=elite+acousticpro1080
http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp
http://www.smxscreen.com/at-projection-screen-application.html (DIY, what you see on this page isn't as expensive as you think...)

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Thats some nice stuff there ^ thanks for sharing.
The celling fan at the very bottom of it is 15'' from the celling.
Seating distance is at 13' currently can go to 15' but then I run into a support column with the couch.
So I do have a question for 2g's for a projector is the picture quality any better then say one for a grand that has 5 star reviews?

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Is this worth looking at for around $200?
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER120WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B00366S0UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355980934&sr=8-1&keywords=Elite+screen+120%27%27

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would think so, but the price says $315. I've heard good things about the Focupix screens at HTDepot.com. I'm glad you are coming to your senses about the screen size. 150" diagonal is way too large for a 13' seating distance. 120" diagonal is about perfect. And you have more projector options also.
Yes, a $2,000 projector will look better than a $1,000 projector. How much depends on which 2 models. A lot of the higher price difference will be more features(3D, lens shift, longer zoom lens, frame interpolation, etc).
What are you up to now on your projector budget?

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
I would think so, but the price says $315. I've heard good things about the Focupix screens at HTDepot.com. I'm glad you are coming to your senses about the screen size. 150" diagonal is way too large for a 13' seating distance. 120" diagonal is about perfect. And you have more projector options also.
Yes, a $2,000 projector will look better than a $1,000 projector. How much depends on which 2 models. A lot of the higher price difference will be more features(3D, lens shift, longer zoom lens, frame interpolation, etc).
What are you up to now on your projector budget?
There is someone local that is selling one in mint condition. Can they be disassembled & put back together without any problems?
Let me ask you, if I can get the ambient light under control, & can get this elite screen what projector would you be considering?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
There is someone local that is selling one in mint condition. Can they be disassembled & put back together without any problems?
Let me ask you, if I can get the ambient light under control, & can get this elite screen what projector would you be considering?
About the screen, I would call Elite and ask them.
You didn't answer me about your projector budget but... I'm going to pretend the fan is not there, because I cannot guarantee these projectors will work(shooting image under the screen). Whether it will also depends on your throw distance.
1) DLP - Acer 9500, about $1,700
2) LCD - Panasonic AR100U, about $1,300
3) LCD - Epson 3010, about $1,300. No lens shift, so the lens would need to be even with the top of screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
schan1269 said:
That is a variation of the one I linked. I linked the Acoustically Transparent version so your speaker placement would easier.
Yea I do like that idea. But this one is a 120 so I'll have enough room for everything. For $200 I'm willing to go smaller.
I've found some room darkening curtains on Amazon. Been looking at projectors that you & Jim have suggested to me.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Question
If I built a shelf for the projector behind the couch say around 5' off the ground would I be able to keep the fan?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your projector probably needs to be higher than that to clear people sitting on the couch. Your screen "top" should be no closer than 1 foot. The bottom should be around 3 feet.
That 12", along with the 15" to clear the fan means the projector is going to end up at 6 1/2 feet-ish.
I'm on the assumption the screen is going to be 2.4:1...or are you doing 16:9?
2.4:1 screen makes your install much simpler. Then when you watch 16:9 TV, you have black bars on the sides.
120" 2.4:1 would be just shy of 10 feet wide, but be under 4 feet tall.
120" 16:9 would be 9-ish wide, by almost 5 feet tall.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, 8'8"...taking into account 15" for the fan...
Your screen will be 30" from the floor, give you just over a foot at the top(15" to be exact).
So, your projector "should be" 15" from the top on the back wall(the bare minimum to clear the fan).
So...the top of your screen, clearance of your fan...and top of the projector...are all equal...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172358/width/200/height/400
Question
If I built a shelf for the projector behind the couch say around 5' off the ground would I be able to keep the fan?
Pan. AR100U - would not be bright enough with that long throw distance
Acer 9500 - would work, but on the borderline for brightness. I wouldn't do it.
Epson 3010 - No. The furthest back the lens could be from screen is 18'-9"
If you want to mount on rear wall, we're back to square 1 again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
OR the Knoll 2100...
There is a reason I went to that projector...
However. As long as you are behind the fan, nothing wrong with mounting it where the of it clears the sight line. You can even splice into the power at the ceiling fan for an electrical tap, easy peasy.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
OR the Knoll 2100...
There is a reason I went to that projector...
I asked Boots twice what the projector budget is, and for whatever reason he hasn't told us. :confused: It's impossible to recommend a projector without knowing budget, throw distance, and desired screen size. It appears he's set on 120" diagonal, but throw and budget keeps changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks