What's new

New to forum and upgrading speakers. Looking for suggestions. (1 Viewer)

Gene Evans

Auditioning
Hello there! I am looking to upgrade the speakers to my 5.1 home theater and I am looking for suggestions. Here is what I currently have.

Screen (FWIW): Toshiba 57HDX82
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V795a
Front: Infinity Reference 2000.2
Rear: Infinity Minuette
Center: JBL Center
Sub: AudioSource SW-10

The speakers were all bought in '98 I believe...without much research and a tight (ex)wife-induced budget. and I just carried them on to my new (post divorce) receiver...the Yamaha which I bought in late 2000/early 2001 I believe.

It is my opinion that my sub is the weakest link in the chain...and I am very impressed with what I have learned about SVS subwoofers. I am heavily considering the 20-39 PCi...seems like a nice balance of range and volume, though the extra attributes of the 25-31 PC plus intrigues me...and its not a heart-stopping amount more...perhaps just a minor palpitation more...if you will. My room is 15'x16.5' with standard ceilings and a half-wall to the left of the viewing area leading to the kitchen...if that matters.

Is the 25-31 PC plus model THAT much better...or necessary for my situation...or will the PCi model be adequate?

Furthermore, I think I would do well to change my front and rear setup. My thought is that I would take my 2000.2's that I have and make them my rear surround...and that would work well. However, what would you recommend to go in front now in the say...$300-$400(for a pair) price range...if it can be done in such a price range and still find a siginificant improvement?

Any and all suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thank you for your time and patience!

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Hey Gene,

I'm not very familiar w/Infinity reference series, (a buddy of mine had some very nice towers in college... but then all we cared about was turn it up loud and blow everything out the windows!!!) I can say that you need to specify if you want towers, or bookshelves with a sub. Keep an open mind and listen... the help you will receive here is unmatched

Although I can tell you what I purchased after much listening and research, I don't feel qualified to push you in a certain direction as I have not heard many of the products mentioned in these forums. I do also know that it's not a situation where you get what you pay for. (I bought BOSE originally.)

Good luck and welcome!!!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest you audition Paradigm speakers. They have a couple of lines of speakers in that price range -- Performance and Monitor. I have liked the Paradigm sound with my Yamaha 795 receiver.

Gene Evans

Auditioning
Thank you for the responses thus far. In terms of the front speakers, I am looking for bookshelf speakers.

My current ones, the Infinity Reference 2000.2 have have a 5 1/2 woofer, no midrange, and a tweeter of unknown type...titanium sticks in my head though.

Given my room size and system, would the 2000.2's serve well as rear surround or would they be too big?

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Uhmm how do they sound to you as a main. And Your asking us if they are to big for a rear What do u think. YOU own them You have them in your house right.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

Check out Paradigm, I have the Focus and cc270 center(for timbre matched front soundstage.) move your Infinity fronts to rear duty and check out the Dayton sub from Parts Express .com (very good reviews here, and will probably be my next purchase as well) unless you can afford something as nice as an svs

Gene Evans

Auditioning
I'm hearing a lot about timber matching of the center and fronts. Hmmmm....anyone wanna give me the lowdown on this and how critical it is?

Just did a quick read up on some Paradigm's...good reviews about (aboot?) them so far, eh. The Phantoms have intrigued me....though not bookshelf. I'm (edited to add NOT....as in) NOT completely hung up on having bookshelf.

Oh...and as far as the sub goes...im pretty well set on SVS as others have mentioned. Like I stated in the original post...either the 20-39pci or 20-31PC plus....

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Paradigm has a couple different lines. Mine are also from the performance series. I did, however, audition the mini monitors but felt the Focus had more presence and were a little more spatial. Timbre matching refers to (as it states) matching the sound on the front soundstage(or, if you prefer... all your speakers)

This prevents a wild mismatch in sound when something goes accross your screen, ie; bullets, rockets, a car... etc...
You don't want something as nice as the Phantoms and then use... say, a Bose VCS 10, for the center (which I understand is very tinny sounding) It would sound in-accurate.
The cc270 has the same driver and tweets as the Focus which allows for great accuracy and seamless transition of sound.

"how critical it is?"

VERY CRITICAL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks