What's new
World Wide Stereo

New Speaker Setup Needed (1 Viewer)

Troy S

Agent
One option is HTIB and the other is bookshelves / sub combo. This will be my first system and would like bookshelves up front and a good amount of bass out of the sub. Problem being the budget. Any suggestions for something for 80% HT and 20% music? Have been looking at the Infinity Primus line as they seem to be more in my price range then many others.

Help!

728x90

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
If at all possible, you should go with a bookshelf package as opposed to a HTIB. You'll be happier with the sound in the long run.

Without a specific budget figure, it's difficult to make specific speaker recommendations. However, to find speakers in the same budgetary ballpark and quality as the Infinity speakers, I'd look also at Athena Technologies, Axiom, Paradigm and perhaps Polk. You don't have to go with a sub from these companies; it's not critical that you match your sub brand with the brand of your other speakers. I understand that the PB10-ISD by SV Subwoofers at $429 is a steal. The Hsu STF-2 at $399 is another highly recommended sub in that general price range. Another low-priced alternative that I've heard is great is the 10" Titanic MKIII subwoofer kit for $350. It can be assembled in about an hour and is supposed to be well worth the money.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I just set up a 6.1 system for someone using these.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Ling.htm
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingSingle.htm
Here's what he had to say:
"I own three of the Ling and three of the Ling single. I am using them in my Home Theater with a down firing Adire DPL12 transmission line Sub. I can tell you first hand the Ling are a bargain. They are unbelievable clear and do an outstanding job in a surround sound setting. In the movie "Ronin" you can hear the gravel spraying the cars during the car chase. They definitely add a level of realism to the listening experience. Even when playing without the sub they provide amazing bass for a four inch driver."

John S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe at least take a look at something like the Onkyo 770 system. I find on cost, it allows you to change/replace the things you don't like and still be a head cost wise.

I use large bookshelf speakers, if you don't need tiny speakers, they offer a tremendous value size -vs- performance wise. I am hard pressed to suggest speakers to people though, it is such a personal preference sort of item. I use the now discontinued JBL s38's in every speaker position, I am overly pleased with them going on 3 years now. For a sub, I still give the nod on best $500 sub to a Velodyne CHT-15, but it does seem those are getting hard to find as well. heheh my stuffs old, but I am still happy, and now getting more and more out of the loop as they say.

They got the CHT-15 here for a good deal, demo though.
http://soundcity.com/retail/demo.php

The sub is amazing for the money spent.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ber=5&preview=

best of luck with it all

Troy S

Agent
Thanks for the help thus far guys. I think I will take a look at one of the Onkyo or Yamaha HTIB at this point. My reall theater room will be in the basement in the next couple years so this larger and more expensive equipment will just have to wait.

So, Onkyo or Yamaha? Probably the Onkyo 770 or the Yamaha 750.

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm on paper the 770 system sure looks like it would toast the Yamaha... I mean the sub power alone on the Onkyo.

Troy S

Agent
How would you guys that have them or have heard them compare the sub in the Onkyo 770 system to say the $100 Dayton that everyone talks about?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I have not heard the Dayton sub.

The one in the 770 seems like an average decent sub. I am way more demanding of my subs than most, I know this. I tend to run them way hot always. It is a preference thing for me is all, I just accept it. :)

Troy S

Agent
I am going to get the Onkyo 770 and a seperates set-up and see which one I prefer. Looking at the Dayton sub, maybe Infinity Primus fronts and center and some cheaper surrounds for now. I need a receiver suggestion also.

So you are saying that you think the 770 sub is pretty decent, especially for movies?

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, quite capable, it was the biggest upgrade in the system from previous generation Onkyo HTIB's.

Your choice to demo both systems, is really cool. I want to read all about that face off!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks