What's new

New Sony, questions... (1 Viewer)

SuzanneJ

Auditioning
My b'friend and I just purchased a 32" Sony. It is a KV32FS100. I did my research here first, looking for a 32" under $1000. I wanted HDTV, but couldn't get it for that price. My b'friend wanted a 27" Sony, but I could only talk him into a larger set that was under 1000, so I opted out of HDTV. We take delivery Tuesday. That said, we do not have digital cable, or a dish, or a progressive scan DVD. These seem to be good TV's for the money ($800 smackers) but I have a question re: calibration. Is this necessary for this TV? If so, how is this done with software? And I guess more importantly, will we be struck with buyers remorse (I really didn't like the lines I saw in all the TV's we saw, but that seemed to be the main difference in HDTV's and non-HDTV's, and since we don't have a digital line coming in, the sales guy said they would be *much less* noticeable with regular analog cable...)

Thanks for any and all input, and for the fantastic site!

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
My first post, so please excuse any . . . irregularities. :eek:
SuzanneJ-- I can't answer your question about calibration (although I'm curious as to the answer).
The question about buyer's remorse is a little easier for me. First of all, the KV32FS100 is a _nice_ TV. I think you'll be quite impressed with it once you get it home and play with it. As to the visible scan lines, from more than about 7' away, the horizontal lines should be fairly difficult to see, and from more than 10' away, near impossible (this is true for me, anyway). However, since digital cable (in many cases) is the same resolution as analog cable, the scan lines should appear much the same in both cases-- if anything (assuming an ideal situation where the digital cable was actually higher resolution and the digital cable provider provided S-Video outputs on the d-cable box), the analog cable would be slightly worse.
By the bye (disclaimer-- I work for Circuit City!), it's not quite true that it's impossible to get a 32" HD for under $1000. For instance, the Hitachi 32UDX10SA is $999 at CC. However, that's not flat-screen-- perhaps this was one of your requirements?
Anyway, my guess is you will be very happy with that TV. HD is certainly nice, but currently still requires a pretty sizeable investment to truly appreciate it. If you're not in a position to make that investment, then enjoy the excellent picture you already have.
Just my $.02,
Me

SuzanneJ

Auditioning
Tim,
Thanks for the info. and yep, the flat screen was MY requirement. I found a FAQ on callibration, now hoping that somwhere in that post it will tell me if it is necessary to callibrate our new purchase.

(BTW, we bought from CC!)

Suzanne

Vin

Supporting Actor
Suzanne, without a doubt, you'd want to get yourself a copy of Video Essentials or Avia and use it to optimize your set. If you have any questions along the way, there are a lot of people at this forum that will be very happy to help out.

Good luck and enjoy the new set!

Vin

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I 2nd Vinn. Any TV needs calibration, and to really get the most out of your new Sony the simple picture calibrations on discs like Video Essentials will do wonders.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
With regard to visible scan lines, that's something you have to live with when you get up to 32" and don't go digital.

However, this model Sony has the 16:9 enhanced mode, which will compress those scan lines when watching anamorphic DVDs, making them much less of an issue.

Make sure that your DVD player is set for 16:9, and you'll have to change to enhanced mode manually each time you want to use it (this model doesn't have an auto switch). The option is buried in the on-screen setup menu... unfortunately, there is no direct access to the feature via a single button on the remote. 16:9 Ehanced Mode is a very nice feature. There are several threads here about it. Search for "anamorphic squeeze", "16:9", or "WEGA", and you should find them in this forum.

Very nice set. Do use VE or Avia to calibrate. There is also a thread here (search for "red push") which explains how to fix over-saturated red, if it is a problem for you. It involves making adjustments in the service menu. DO NOT adjust RDRV or RCUT settings... I think the change is to the AXNT option in the service menu. Really not a big issue, though...

-Scott

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
All TVs/monitors require calibration.

As Scott mentions, picture-structure visibility is pretty much a non-issue when you're screening 16:9-encoded DVDs (i.e., "anamorphic widescreen") in the Sony's compressed 16:9 mode (as mentioned already, set your DVD player to output at 16:9 and access the 16:9 mode from the Sony's user menu).

You should select the "Warm" color-temperature setting, disable the scan-velocity modulation, and use either the "Movie" or "Standard" picture modes (I prefer "Movie").

And most of all, reduce the contrast ("picture") and brightness controls from their factory-default settings.

During 4:3 programming, sit as far back as you can and the picture structure becomes less noticeable.

The less-visible picture structure on the HD-capable models is due to their ability to produce progressive-scan pictures with 480-line sources.

Enjoy the set, and welcome to HTF!

SuzanneJ

Auditioning
Thanks again for all the advice! (I was terrified to post, as I am a home theater idiot, and I knew it would show, but folks here have been more than polite, and informative!)

Now, is there a place to buy AVIA (Video Essentials is out of print?) in a store? I found places on the net, but want to have the disc in hand when we get the TV this week. I am in Chicago, so I should have a wide option base. There is a Bang & Olafson (sp?) near where I work, would a high-end audio store be my best bet?

I am printing copies of this thread to use when I get the DVD.

Thank you for making this an even better purchase than I thought!

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
Sort of a related question. I hear you folks suggesting everyone dial in 16:9 on their dvd players to take advantage of the wegas 16:9 squeeze feature.

When I use the 16:9 on my sony dvd player with my rf modulated mitsubishi, I get a taller image. 2.25:1 becomes closer to 1.85, and the latter becomes full screen if I utilize this feature. It's an option I don't prefer to use, but it's interesting enough that I can alter 'out' of the letter boxing if I desire.

Are you saying, though, that if I did this with a wega or similar 16:9 'squeezable' tv, it would not enlarge the vertical picture, but just improve the resolution of the 4:3. Thanks in advance.

SuzanneJ

Auditioning
To All,

Never mind about the CD question found the answer here (google was too much help!) on locating CD. Will buy tomorrow, and probably be back with a 1000 calibration questions.

Thanks again (I love this place, man!)

Suzanne

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Lee,
Correct... using the 16:9 output of the DVD player along with the anamorphic squeeze re-compresses the picture to the correct ratio, increasing resolution AND tightening the scan lines. The result is a much sharper picture in the correct aspect ratio.

-Scott

Andy Kim

Second Unit
If you don't want to shell out to much money for Avia or Video Essentials, the makers of Avia also have a calibration disc that's cheaper. Its called Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune Up. Its more basic then Avia but its a really good starter and pretty much has all you're ever going to need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks