What's new

New receiver or go seperates?? (1 Viewer)

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is the question that everyone holding an integrated av receiver asks; should I make the move to seperates or enter the $1000+ realm of quality integrated receivers to get by.

I currently have an Onkyo 700 powering Boston Acoustics VR-M60's, VR10, & VR-MX's however during my renovations a set of monopole in-walls VRi560 will be included bumping my setup up to a 7 channel system. I will also be adding an SVS PB2-iSD (shipping and duty is 33.5% here in Bermuda (OUCH))so the PB2+ is probably out.

I have been contemplating a new Denon 3805 or possibly swinging for the fences with the release of the HK7300 but am stuck with the thought of getting the Yammie 1400 as a pre/pro and putting $1000 towards an amp ($2000 total is my absolute max). I could always bi-amp the fronts and use the fifth for the center if I get a 5 channel amp and run the four rears and kitchen speakers off the Yammie. I have been searching audiogon lately but really don't know the more reccommended amps, especially ones which will mate well with the Boston Acoustics.

What do you think I should do? Please note that there are no dealers of this caliber in Bermuda so demoing is not an option; it will unfortunately be going in blind.

Thanks

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'd find a receiver that performs the functions that want it to do - and make sure it has pre-outs. Use it as a receiever for a few months. Then, add a power amp to the picture

You'll get the best of both worlds this way - a receiver that doesn't cost you a lot of cash now so you can enjoy movies an music while you save up some $$ over the next few months to add some more power.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I agree with Wayne. You could grab a 3805 for less than $1000.00 most likly. It's got all the latest processing. Maybe a Yamaha 2400.. Personally, i like the sound of Denon. I used to have a 5803. That would leave you at least a grand in your pocket for an amp down the road. My buddy recently bought a B stock Outlaw 755 5 x 200wpc amp for $1100.00 and added it to a new Denon 3805. It kicks HARD..nice combo. He lets the 3805 power the rears (7.1 rig). Good luck with whatever you decide.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
Since I am doing renovations after the summer I would like to get everything at once since it will be included in my bank loan and the wife wont think too much of it considering everything else we are doing. I would like this to be my last major upgrade for the time being.

My setup will include: (means upgrading)

Elite PRO520HD
Onkyo 700 (7.1 rec/pre/pro?)
Amp (5 channel?)
Boston Acoustics VR-M60, VR10, VR-MX, VRi560 in-walls
Mirage PS12 (SVS PB2-iSD (maybe PB2+ :) ))
(Behringer Feedback Destroyer, Art 351 or Rane PE-17)
Denon 2200
Monster Power HTS-3500
Dish DVR510
MX-700
PS2 via component & optical
Blue Jeans Audio/Video Wires
In-wall Speaker Wiring (TBD)

I would love to hear from others, especially recommended 5 channel amps around $1000 - 1300

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have no amp recommendations but I have the same front speakers you have and they're mated to an Integra DTR 6.4 (VR-M50 rears and VRC centre, PV900 sub in 5.1). Of course, as I chose them, I am very happy with the sound. The absolute best sound I got with the Bostons was with an Arcam AVR200 but I experienced some quality control issues and went with the Integra (97% as good, to me, and a lot of features that will come in handy, esp. bass/time management of multichannel inputs). At your budget, you could go for the 8.4, which will give you 7.1 channels (I have six) and almost double the power of mine. Or you could go with the same one I have as it has 7.1 channel preouts and add an amp (there's also the 7.4 that slots in the middle). Just a couple of other options. With the gear you're considering, I don't think you can go wrong. The Bostons mate well with most brands, IMO.

Good luck.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I may end up foregoing the process of implementing a separate amp for my theater. I really wanted to make one last big purchase to keep the wife happy without having to budget in the near future for another upgrade. I have been looking at the Yammie 1400 mated with a Rotel 1075 which will roughly be around $1800. I have been offsetting this choice with more research on Integra, Elite & Seperates Pre/Pro.

I want a pre/pro with the following:

DLPIIx (or similar i.e. Logic 7)
Video Upconversion (dreaded s-video flesh tone bug in Elite x20 series)
7.1 (with DLPIIx it would have to be included)
Room 2 ability with current amp

Bonus
Room EQ and auto-cal

The Denon 3805 has all of these options with room 3 preouts as well. The amp is rated at 120 x 7 though I haven’t heard any reviews on this however there is one person running a Paradigm Studio 100 setup with great feedback. Since most of the amps are rated in this area the Denon “seems” to have the sack of running 7 speakers efficiently, lucidly and with wide dynamic range.

I am still on the fence, but I would rather spend wisely than jump and regret.

Definitely not too easy of a situation though if I go with the Denon, the Svs PB2+ will be more feasible with the extra dough.

:)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I've never owned a receiver. My first "stereo" was an integrated amp and separate tuner, in 1960.
Recently due to a major theft at my house, added to associated stress and depression, I began shopping for a receiver. Which led me right to the B&K 507.
Looked at one in a store the other day. It was on...and it was H O T.
Why would I want my $3,000 preamp/processor to double as a frying pan?
So, that's why I'll stick with separates.

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

So you are saying that the B&K was hot...or that you liked the unit. I get the impression you felt it was in reference to the temp. Please let me know what you consideer good, because I hear good & bad about practically everything. To me, it appears Yamaha has the best processing options. I read a lot about Rotel amps, Marantz amps, NAD, and B&K. Your thoughts??

Thanks.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Another big tipoff that I had decided against the unit.

:)

skip,

Sorry I was so vague.

Of the brands you mentioned, I would place B&K at the top (I'll probably buy one of their preamps soon) and Yamaha at the bottom. Yamaha have for years used the gimmick of poor surround processing (Jazz Club, Cathedral, Mammoth Cave) to impress the naive.
I have heard this sort of processing done well, to a limited degree, but not in anything a cheaply manufactured as a Yamaha.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

This makes the most sense. I can not recomend any decent PrePro for less than 2 grand. Receivers at TOTL or a click below are great for HT, I upgraded (?) from a Marantz AV-9000 and a 985THXmk2 Rotel to a 3rd in line Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX and I will never go back. I kept the same sub and speakers and I like it now much better than before. There are very few PrePros out there worth much under about 2 grand retail add another 1-1200 for an amp and you are in high thin air, IMHO a 3000.00 HT receiver is a better buy for HT than 3000.00 worth of seperates. . .And I am a seperate believer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks